Newbie Question re LAPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEvil

just started scanning about a month ago, decided to grab a Uniden BCD396T to check out LAPD, and LAFD for fun. Few questions for you guys:

1- what is "LAPD - Talkaround ("Enhanced/Fallback") " they appear to mirror the the same exact precincts but usually the content is different.

2-Ever heard anything on the ASTRO? I live in the hills and see the police helicopters up with great frequency but I never heard what they're up to.

3-lastly, what is "Hotshot/K-9/Air Hailing" as in the LAPD additional ?

thanks so much!

patin

item 1 is where the units and air unit can talk directly to each other without being on the main freq ,,,,# 2 im not sure what your talking about,,,,,,,# 3 is the freq where k-9 air unit can moitor calls from several freqs

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
LAPD Air Units

The greater LA basin Air-to-Air frequency for helicopters is 123.025 Mhz AM. You should hear air-to-air traffic between the LAPD helicopters on the frequencies as listed in the database (123.02500 123.075 122.85 122.75). For LAFD helicopters, they are quite active on 119.975 (LAFD) and 135.975 (LACoFD). There is a ton of helicopter traffic on 123.025 so it is sometimes difficult to parse out the LAPD traffic, but they identify as "Air xx (where xx is their unit number (i.e. Air 19). Not sure if that helps, but maybe a little ;-)

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
just started scanning about a month ago, decided to grab a Uniden BCD396T to check out LAPD, and LAFD for fun. Few questions for you guys:

1- what is "LAPD - Talkaround ("Enhanced/Fallback") " they appear to mirror the the same exact precincts but usually the content is different.

Welcome to the big city. To expand a little on Patin's and LZJSR's good answers, the "Enhanced/Fallback" frequencies - Ch 101 - 125 - are the car-to-car tactical frequencies for each division. Rather than tie up the dispatch frequencies, units will generally switch to those freqs when communicating with each other or with the air units. They are always referred to as "simplex" ( a long story) although they may use either direct or repeater mode. They may also use the Bureau or Citywide tac freqs - Ch 36-49 plus 177.

2-Ever heard anything on the ASTRO? I live in the hills and see the police helicopters up with great frequency but I never heard what they're up to.
LZJSR covered that one, but I'll add that the LAPD air units will usually coordinate their specific activities on the "Air/K9" frequency, 484.7125. Stuff like "Air 11 to Air 16, I'll handle that shooting call in Rampart if you want to take the foot pursuit in Wilshire.." They'll advise each other when they're landing or going up, so everybody knows which other air units are up. Depending on how busy things are, they also like to occasionally use Ch 49 (506.5875), Ch 69 (506.8625), or even Ch 123 (506.750) to talk to each other.

3-lastly, what is "Hotshot/K-9/Air Hailing" as in the LAPD additional ?
All emergency (Code 3) and most urgent (Code 2) calls are broadcast on "Air/K9" in addition to the division-of-occurrence and adjacent frequencies. This is done so the Air and K9 units, who have citywide jurisdiction, can keep one radio parked on that frequency and they'll hear the hot calls from throughout the city. The dispatchers ("RTOs") and Air Support base ("2-David-90") can also use that freq to contact the air units.

I've got a less complete but slightly easier to follow list of LAPD's frequencies at Los Angeles Police Department Radio Frequencies LAFD lists theirs on the department website at Los Angeles Regional Fire/Rescue Communications Center

BigEvil

wow,
Thanks so much for that, I'll dig into the link. I'm guessing diving straight into the Los Angeles area and a digital trunk tracker was a tall glass of water for a novice!

1150RT-P

Premium Subscriber
wow,
Thanks so much for that, I'll dig into the link. I'm guessing diving straight into the Los Angeles area and a digital trunk tracker was a tall glass of water for a novice!

This is what I'm going through right now, and I havent even purchased a scanner! There is SO much information out there to sift through.

BigEvil

This is what I'm going through right now, and I havent even purchased a scanner! There is SO much information out there to sift through.

Honestly, I went to Ham Radio Outlet in burbank and said "I wanna hear the police and fire department" they did the rest. Freescan and radio reference makes it easy enough to maintain on your own and the BCD396XT works really well.

SCPD

QRT
I think Eric is still the manager of the HRO in Burbank. Eric used to be an editor of the Radio Communications Monitoring Association (RCMA) monthly magazine, which was the best source of information for the scanner hobbyist up until the mid 90's. Eric contributed a lot to the RCMA over the years.

With that type of interest and long time association with the hobby, he or his staff should be able to help you out.

I would say that the task of understanding the newest generation of scanners as a novice is daunting. I purchased two GRE PSR-600's about a year ago and in spite of being in the hobby since 1968, being an amateur radio operator, and having owned about 20 scanners before this purchase, I was challenged for a week or two before I could program the radio to do what I wanted it to do.

Once you understand how the radio works and what the channels are used for then you will tackle the seemingly endless task of understanding procedures, acronyms, and abbreviations used by the various agencies you listen to.

In some respects though, the hobby is much easier and less expensive now. The one that comes to mind is that we used to have to buy crystals that cost about 5% of the cost of the scanner itself, one for each frequency. We could not sample a particular agency before committing to buying the crystal. The southern California area had good frequency use information available due to Gene Hughes' Police Call, but until that publication went nationwide in the mid 70's you relied on frequency lists of dubious accuracy available in Radio Shack stores.

Most scanners only had a 8-10 channel capacity and if you wanted to change frequencies you had to pull the cover off the radio and physically change the crystals, something that required needle nose pliers and an even steady pull. Traveling out of your local area to different states and listening elsewhere could be very expensive and time consuming. Today's scanners, with huge memory capacities and ability to write huge files for each area you travel to is so much easier than it was.

1150RT-P

Premium Subscriber
Great post 'Smokey, thanks for sharing!

Would your recommend getting a "pre-programed" scanner or starting with a "clean slate" and jumping into programing it yourself to try to get a better understanding?

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I think Eric is still the manager of the HRO in Burbank. Eric used to be an editor of the Radio Communications Monitoring Association (RCMA) monthly magazine, which was the best source of information for the scanner hobbyist up until the mid 90's. Eric contributed a lot to the RCMA over the years.
From the 1970s until the 90s, the RCMA was really the pre-internet version of RadioReference. Instead of up-to-the-second database updates and forum postings, we had the monthly RCMA Journal, and those of us in Southern California had monthly meetings in Anaheim and later Los Alamitos where we could swap frequencies and stories.

In some respects though, the hobby is much easier and less expensive now. The one that comes to mind is that we used to have to buy crystals that cost about 5% of the cost of the scanner itself, one for each frequency.

Most scanners only had a 8-10 channel capacity and if you wanted to change frequencies you had to pull the cover off the radio and physically change the crystals, something that required needle nose pliers and an even steady pull. Traveling out of your local area to different states and listening elsewhere could be very expensive and time consuming. Today's scanners, with huge memory capacities and ability to write huge files for each area you travel to is so much easier than it was.

Taking that a little further, after LAPD left the AM broadcast band for VHF high, in 1967 I bought a Radio Shack "Patrolman" monitor, a little tunable AM & VHF transistor radio, which had poor sensitivity and even worse selectivity. Hearing the cars was pretty much out of the question (repeaters weren't common), and the entire band from 147-174 MHz was squeezed within about 3/4 of a turn of the nickel-sized tuning knob. You could hear LAPD's 158.91, 159.03 and 159.15 dispatch frequencies without turning the knob. Unless two were transmitting at once, and then you usually got gobbledygook. And the price? $24.95 plus 4.95 more for an AC adapter. In 2008 dollars that would be about $190.77 (The Inflation Calculator)

In 1976 I got the first programmable scanner, a whopping 16-channel Bearcat 101. You programmed it with toggle-switches, and you had to look up (or calculate) the binary code for each frequency to enter it. AC power only. Want to use it mobile? Add $39.95 for the MK101 DC/AC inverter, for a total of $389.90. In today's money: $1,459.00. No freq display, no banks, no PL tones, no search, no priority, just 16 hard-to-reprogram frequencies and a row of flashing red lights.

The following year we were finally blessed with the first - gasp - keyboard-programmable scanner, the 10-channel Bearcat 210. $299.99 unless you could find a trustworthy mail-order outfit to save a few bucks. In 2008 dollars that was $1,122.56.

So five bills for the current crop of do-everything scanners isn't such a bad deal at all. $500 today equals $142 in 1977 (half the cost of the BC210), or in 1967 just a little over twice the cost of the pathetic little Patrolman tunable package, around $78.

Attachments

• 1967-RS_Patrolman.jpg
    1967-RS_Patrolman.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 849
  • BC101-1976.jpg
    BC101-1976.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 858
Last edited:

Eng74

When I started back in 1993 I had a 10 channel programable Pro-37(?). About a year later got the Pro-39 with 200 channels. Then the big jump to trunking with first a Pro-94, hardest trunker I ever had to program. Then all of the GRE 92,93,95,96 then the 500. Then when the dynamic memory came out with the Uniden 330 and 396 I wanted the fire tone out. I could never go back to a scanner that does not some type of flexable memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.