Laso star tacs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starman918

The LASD Star Tacs are used for special events and tactical situations. From what I understand they were splintered from some of the Investgative frequencies. I know that they haven't programmed all of the handheld radios for these frequencies. The Tac channels were instituted to give the department more tac channels. Some of these channels are direct or simplex only.

Delldell26

Most of the time when I hear traffic on the STAR Tacs it sounds like some sort of training. FYI: The the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Academy is held at the STAR Center in Whittier.

jrholm

They are not splintered. They simply redesignated several tac channels and all the investigator channels. The former investigator channels are no longer exclusive to Detective Division and can be alotted out to anybody needing a tac channel for an operation. The use of the channels is controlled through S.C.C.

Uplink

The LASD Star Tacs are used for special events and tactical situations. From what I understand they were splintered from some of the Investgative frequencies. I know that they haven't programmed all of the handheld radios for these frequencies. The Tac channels were instituted to give the department more tac channels. Some of these channels are direct or simplex only.

good info, thanks Starman!

ChrisW6YBW

They are not splintered. They simply redesignated several tac channels and all the investigator channels. The former investigator channels are no longer exclusive to Detective Division and can be alotted out to anybody needing a tac channel for an operation. The use of the channels is controlled through S.C.C.

Close..... The STAR-Tac channels were the old LASD Investigator (repeater) channels. INV-1 was reallocated several years ago as the Transit Services Bureau (TSB)/Community College Bureau dispatch channel. There weren't enough Investigator channels (INV2 - INV7) to handle the daily needs for special operations, surveillances, outside agency operations, training, etc., ., etc., etc. so the investigator channels were reconfigured and renamed.

STAR 2 and 3 are repeater use only
STAR 4R repeater STAR 5 through 8 simplex only
STAR 9R repeater STAR10 through 13 simplex only
STAR 14R repeater STAR 15 through 18 simplex only
STAR 19R repeater STAR 20 through 23 simplex only

Each STAR-Tac repeater (4R, 9R, 14R, and 19R) pair can be used in repeater mode, or simplex on the output frequency using one of two CTCSS encode/decode tones AND simplex on the input frequency using one of two CTCSS encode/decode tones (all different from the CTCSS tone for the repeater). This gives the ability to use the channel as a repeater, or as a four simplex channels for operations in different parts of the county. Unless you happen to be very close (or up high) you probably won't hear much on the STAR-Tac simplex channels.

ChrisW6YBW

what are the freqs up to star tac 23 RR showes up to 14

The simplex frequencies are the input and output frequencies for the repeaters. Each simplex freq can be used with a specific CTCSS tone - two tones on the output frequency, and two different tones when using the input frequency. Of course, if the repeater is being used, then nobody can use any of the four associated simplex channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.