Lapd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick

Harry, your expertise is needed. I'm hearing 484.9250 LAPD simulcasting w/484.2875 Harbor Dispatch. I'm wondering what 484.925 is for? Maybe a future dispatch channel? Thanks in advance.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Harry, your expertise is needed. I'm hearing 484.9250 LAPD simulcasting w/484.2875 Harbor Dispatch. I'm wondering what 484.925 is for? Maybe a future dispatch channel? Thanks in advance.
Hey, Mick. Someone else asked me that a month or two ago, and I haven't been able to come up with any info.

There was some suggestion that it may be in use as a kind of "monitor" freq for gang (?) officers working the Harbor area, so they could park one radio on that freq to keep an ear on Harbor's radio calls. But for that to make much sense it should ONLY carry Harbor's calls, and not Southeast's when the two are patched (usu just very late at night), and not the routine simulcast junk from other divisions either. Can you tell if it's set up that way?

They set up one of the citywide tacs that way about 10 years ago when Southeast was going crazy, but this was before the new dispatch centers and consoles went online. The new consoles have a lot of neat doodads, but they also have some really goofy limitations, and a set-up like that may not even be possible any more.

Somewhere I've seen 484.925 listed as another patch to Air/K9 (like 484.400 and 484.350) but I don't think it's ever been used for that. There've been rumors of two more divisions some day, one in the Valley and one in South Bureau, but AFAIK those are just far-away ideas, especially considering the budget.

I'll keep snooping, but so many of my really good "inside sources" keep retiring or worse these days. Other than all the "olden days" stuff, these people have been the source of whatever current expertise I have.

Off-topic but speaking of retirements, if the city's early retirement deal finally does go through, Communications could lose a whole lot of good, experienced people real quick and really find themselves up a creek. Having the typical turnover rate of dispatch centers everywhere, most of the PSRs have either less than 8 or more than 20 years on the job, and they could lose dozens of bodies and hundreds of years of experience almost literally overnight. When my wife retired under a similar offer in 1998, two other PSRs went with her the same day, taking well over 110 years of experience (and institutional history) with them. 10 or so others with the same experience also pulled the pin that year. New blood is always a good thing, but you don't want to lose all the "been there, done that, and I remember the lessons" people at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.