BCD996XT for LAPD/LAFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CityGuy

I am brand new to the board and am looking for some input on upgrading from my BC780XLT I purchased back in 2002, to the BCD996XT. I'm really only interested in being able to continue monitoring LAFD, LACoFD, along with now being able to receive LAPD. Since this will be my first digital scanner I have some questions:

1) Will I be able to start monitoring LAPD right out of the box by simply entering the frequencies as I am used to with an analog scanner, or will it require a little more work and knowledge?

2) Will the upgraded features on the BCD996XT enhance my listening experience with LAPD (specifically) over what previous digital models had to offer?

3) Are there any limitations to being able to get a decent signal with digital transmissions?

If anyone has experience with this particular model in the LA area I would be curious to hear what you have to say.

Eng74

I have used the 996XT yet but have the 996T. It is a great radio for the L.A. area. You will also be able to get Verdugo on the ICIS system. The GRE PSR 600/ RS Pro-197 work great too. As for signal, all I can say is location, location, location. It can all depend on where you are and then sometimes where they are can be the problem. If you want to see the 996XT and the 600 in action take a trip to HRO in Burbank or the on in OC. They have the out and running. You don't have to buy from them but you can hear them and see how they look and work.

CityGuy

How about programming the LAPD in P25 digital. I would imagine the 996T is similar with respect to programming. Is this an easy plug 'n play deal, or is it more intensive beyond simply entering in the frequency? Again, this will be my first try at digital, so a whole new world to me.

scanner99

Premium Subscriber
I live in west LA and i have a bcd996xt that i use on a diamond discone antenna. I can receive all of LAPD and LAFD. The radio works great in LA. If you have any specific questions you can PM me.

RadioDaze

You're gonna need more than one scanner to listen to all the things LAPD monitoring has to offer. Hotshot calls, vice stings, shootings, etc. - you will not be disappointed!

Be sure to keep your old scanner too, if you can, so you can keep it tuned to FD channels.

EDIT:
P.S. Be sure to invest in some programming software for it - other Uniden folks here can advise.

Last edited:

CityGuy

Thank you, I certainly will be holding onto the old one as I have done with all my previous scanners. Please advise on the programming software and what is required for programming the digital frequencies. I assume it is a little more complicated than simply punching in the frequency like I am used to.

Eng74

I like the ARC XT for software. There is also Freescan which is a free software. LAPD is not that hard since it is not trunked. Digital is not that big of a change with the software for the ICIS you just have to mark the the TG's are digital. I would not want to program any of the new scanners without software it makes it too easy.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah I live in North Irvine and I am able to hear LAPD and LAFD with no problems. I must have a good line of sight to LA. I am using the standard antenna that comes with the scanners. I have the BCD996XT and the BCD396XT and they are great scanners. The trunking works really well with no problems. I would either recommend ARC XT or Freescan they both work. Dont try and program on your own. Takes too long and too frustrating.

spock00

Do any of you guys that own the 396t or 996t have problems with teh digital audio being inconsistent or garbled? I was plagued by that with a 396t a few years back but was told that they have had a few firmware upgrades since then...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As a minimalist programming, you only need to do three steps.

1. Create a conventional system.
2. Create a channel group for the channels.
3. Add a New Channel and program the frequency into it.

Repeat Step 3 over and over.

But, in addition to the frequency, you'll probably also want to alpha tag the system, channel group, and channels so that they show the agency name instead of the frequency or default tag. You'll also probably want to flag each channel as digital. You might also want to either make a seperate system for each agency or seperate channel groups within the one system.

P25 conventional is just as simple as analog conventional...no extra settings are really needed.

You can read ConventionalSystems < UnidenMan4 < TWiki to see all the steps and options. If you are going to program in a lot of stuff, software makes things less tedious.

Status
Not open for further replies.