Newbie wants to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettyalex

Hi i'm completely new to the whole GMRS thing and wanted some info.

I just applies and paid for my GMRS license on the FCC website (very easy). Now what do i do, there is a lot of chatter on a lot of channels and i'm not trying to hog anybody's airspace or stumble on any police frequencies. I bought these radios primarily in the event of an earthquake so that i could communicate with my family if we were in separate places. Whats the best frequency to lock into the radios in that event.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Hi i'm completely new to the whole GMRS thing and wanted some info.

I just applies and paid for my GMRS license on the FCC website (very easy). Now what do i do, there is a lot of chatter on a lot of channels and i'm not trying to hog anybody's airspace or stumble on any police frequencies. I bought these radios primarily in the event of an earthquake so that i could communicate with my family if we were in separate places. Whats the best frequency to lock into the radios in that event.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
You don't have to worry about stumbling onto police frequencies with a GMRS radio, though police have been known to occasionally use GMRS, FRS, and other oddball freqs for surveillances and stuff. (NOT a good idea, IMHO)

To use existing GMRS repeaters you need permission from (and/or membership in) the repeaters' owners. Assuming you're in the L.A. area, try
GMRS | Southern California GMRS Group
and its GMRS | Southern California GMRS Group | Repeater List

Also
myGMRS.com - AMIGOS: Inglewood, CA "Amigos" / Inglewood (w/contact info)
myGMRS.com - CRESTLINE-725: Southern, CA
or go thru the Repeaters and Maps links at myGMRS.com - GMRS Repeater Directory

Of course, your GMRS license also allows members of your immediate family to communicate with each other on simplex (or authorized repeaters), specifically your spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws (that's immediate family? :roll: ). 2008 CFR Title 47, Volume 5 Section 95.179

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.