Orange County talkaround channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to throw this out there:

Do any of you Orange County listeners out there have the following frequencies programmed into your P25-capable scanners?

FCC Callsign WNSS372 Details

The only missing piece of the puzzle for the OC system is the talkaround component. I realize that some of it is encrypted, but all of the local government SILVER-TA channels are clear P25. I've heard county parks traffic on 867.7625 247NAC and what I believe to be Santa Ana Animal Control on 867.7375 unknown NAC (heard in the area of the 5 fwy and 4th st on 12/12/09). I also regularly hear p25 garble noise on several of these frequencies, but some of it may be bleed-over from San Diego's RCS.
Bottom line is most of the SILVER-TA's are unknown (each city, plus the county departments have one) with the exception of County Harbors, Beaches & Parks and I have yet to confirm who 867.7375 is for sure.
The GREEN-TA's, WHITE-TA, GRAY-TA and SWAT-TA are unknown (and may never be entirely figured out since they are encrypted, but I think Anaheim's is 868.2875, since this is also licensed as a base under WQBQ537 for the Honda Center and the Stadium).
The other unknown is AQUA-TA.
Another odd find in the FCC licensing is 868.5500 (which is also under WNSS372 is licensed as a fixed transmitter site under WQCK588
with an address of 32951 Ortega Hwy in San Juan Capistrano).
Anyone else find this stuff interesting or am I getting a little obsessive/compulsive?????:lol:

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I do monitor all those 800mhz convential channels and the only thing I hear is 868.9875 14 Alpha Firemars repeated and once in a while I will hear 866.2375 which is 14 Gulf which Orange County fire uses for talkaround. I usually just listen to all of the orange county trunking systems.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, the zone 14 fire channels are pretty well known by now. For some reason, the rest of the TA channels are a big secret :(.
Just out of curiosity, what have you heard on 14-G?

pepsima1

Banned
Well the rest of the TA channels dont seem to be a secret since they are listed in RR. I just dont think there is any transmission on these convential channels. I am thinking they are using the talkgroups in their trunking system since they are fully encrypted. Plus if they need a secure channel they contact control one for a dedicated talkgroup. I also think these Talkgroup frequencies are for backup just in case of a large incident where the trunked system gets over loaded and then they will use these convential channels. I monitor these channels sometimes but there is just not much transmissions on these channels. Another reason could be because they are not used in a repeated mode. They are not repeated up to Santiago or Sierra Peak and transmitted down so we can listen anywhere in the county.

The only thing I ever hear on 14G is when a county fire personal is talking on the trunked system and tells the other person to goto 14G. They do alot of training at the El Toro marine base down in North Irvine down in South County. Alot of time if they have a large incident on the trunked talkgroup they will patch that talkgroup to Control One on 151.085 frequency. That is a repeater channel. This is so other monitoring acencies can listen if they have no access to the Orange County Trunk System, I am guessing. It makes sense.

If you have a Digital scanner you can listen to alot of talkgroups that are on the P25 system that is intergrated on the trunk system for Orange County too. Send me you email if you want to know anymore info.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I'm very familiar with the Orange County CCCS. I've been listening to Orange County since the fire agencies were on low band. I guess I should have explained better.
The Orange County Radio Operations Supplement (a small portion of which is shown in the database) states that the TA channels are first priority for unit-to-unit comms. For example, lifeguard agencies are supposed to use Aqua-TA for tactical comms prior to using PINK,AQUA 2 or 3 or TAN channels. Same with public works agencies, for unit-to unit comms they should use SILVER-TA before PINK, BROWN or TAN. Same story for the cops, too. This tells me that they should be in use at least on occasion and I have heard several instances where they are used, I was just hoping that more people were listening to try to do a little bit of sleuthing and figure out which frequencies were which.
Back in the days when the Law stuff was on UHF, they used to use WHITE channel all the time for unit-to-unit comms, so at least for the cops, using GREEN-TA shouldn't be a big deal.

"Well the rest of the TA channels don't seem to be a secret since they are listed in RR. "

I've counted about 50 conventional channels that are licensed to OC that I have yet to figure out what they are used for (but I have a pretty good idea). Those are the ones I'm referring to, not the ones that are already in the database, except for the 3 that I recently submitted.

pepsima1

Banned
Yeah that is the fun of scanning is trying to figure out a lot of frequencies and figuring who uses them. Where can I find those 50 convential frequencies at? Or can you post them? That would be cool and I could help on trying to figure them out. Thanks

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Sure, just click on the link in the original post and look towards the bottom at all the freqs that have a "MO" under "class". Compare that with what's in the database and you will find a lot of freqs that are unaccounted for. Some cities have 800 Mhz freqs that are licensed to them that are not used for MDC data.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.