San Bernardino County Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before but I've been searching for the better part of an hour. I've uploaded all the systems into my 396XT. I've basically figured out where a lot of them cover, but was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a list that has a breakdown on what area of the county each system covers?

Krmit

Premium Subscriber

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
The information on that site is extremely outdated. Desert Comm doesn't even exist anymore and fire has had some reorganization of its dispatch and response operations.

Very true. Can you put together an updated list and put it in the Wiki for SBCo?

Here's the general layout for towers (as I remember them). My first hand knowledge is 10 years old, but unless they have added new towers for dead spots, the basic information is still valid:

System 1 (1-Fire-? // 1-DC-??): Victor Valley area, from top of Cajon to about Wild Wash on I-15, out 247 towards Lucerne Valley until it fades, up 395 to the ridge just south of Kramer Junction. The system tower is on Quartzite Mountain just north of Victorville.

System 2: Barstow area from Wild Wash to Afton Canyon on 15, Kern Co (58) to about Kelbaker (40). 395 from s/o Kramer to s/o Red Mountain. Conventional 800 repeaters in Red Mountain, Trona, Baker, and Mountain Pass fill in the areas north of these locations where the trunked systems don't work. The system tower is on Flash II Peak just north of Barstow

System 3: Lucerne Valley basin, Fill-in between Barstow and the start of System 5 coverage west of Needles, Fill-in in portions of the Baker beat area that have line of sight to Rodman Mountain NE of Lucerne Valley. System 3 actually has (had) a large footprint in all directions as long as it wasn't shadowed by mountains, due to the height and location of Rodman.

System 4: Morongo Basin area, from top of Morongo Grade on 62 to about 177 east of 29 Palms, and out Amboy Rd to Sheephole Pass. Two main towers at Paxton (Yucca Vly) and Donnel Hill (29P).

System 5: Needles and Colorado River area. Main tower on Spirit Mtn in NV, with conventional 800 fill-in repeaters for Parker Dam and Havasu Landing resident posts.

My experience was with the Desert systems, so any information I have on Systems 6-10 is going to be very dated, and likely needs updating.

System 6/7: San Bernardino Valley area system, covers from Yucaipa to LA Co line. The systems actually use the same towers and frequencies, but are split to divide the call volume and to better manage the talkgroups.

System 8: Mountain areas (Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead)

System 9: Used to be West End Police Agencies

System 10: Didn't exist when I was there, but I think it is San Bernardino City's system.

I hope that helps. I'm sure some of that has changed, but (especially with the desert stuff) this should get you in the ball park.

scottinaz

Very true. Can you put together an updated list and put it in the Wiki for SBCo?

Here's the general layout for towers (as I remember them). My first hand knowledge is 10 years old, but unless they have added new towers for dead spots, the basic information is still valid:

System 1 (1-Fire-? // 1-DC-??): Victor Valley area, from top of Cajon to about Wild Wash on I-15, out 247 towards Lucerne Valley until it fades, up 395 to the ridge just south of Kramer Junction. The system tower is on Quartzite Mountain just north of Victorville.

System 2: Barstow area from Wild Wash to Afton Canyon on 15, Kern Co (58) to about Kelbaker (40). 395 from s/o Kramer to s/o Red Mountain. Conventional 800 repeaters in Red Mountain, Trona, Baker, and Mountain Pass fill in the areas north of these locations where the trunked systems don't work. The system tower is on Flash II Peak just north of Barstow

System 3: Lucerne Valley basin, Fill-in between Barstow and the start of System 5 coverage west of Needles, Fill-in in portions of the Baker beat area that have line of sight to Rodman Mountain NE of Lucerne Valley. System 3 actually has (had) a large footprint in all directions as long as it wasn't shadowed by mountains, due to the height and location of Rodman.

System 4: Morongo Basin area, from top of Morongo Grade on 62 to about 177 east of 29 Palms, and out Amboy Rd to Sheephole Pass. Two main towers at Paxton (Yucca Vly) and Donnel Hill (29P).

System 5: Needles and Colorado River area. Main tower on Spirit Mtn in NV, with conventional 800 fill-in repeaters for Parker Dam and Havasu Landing resident posts.

My experience was with the Desert systems, so any information I have on Systems 6-10 is going to be very dated, and likely needs updating.

System 6/7: San Bernardino Valley area system, covers from Yucaipa to LA Co line. The systems actually use the same towers and frequencies, but are split to divide the call volume and to better manage the talkgroups.

System 10: Didn't exist when I was there, but I think it is San Bernardino City's system.

I hope that helps. I'm sure some of that has changed, but (especially with the desert stuff) this should get you in the ball park.

David, Is there a live feed for system 5 ?

E5911

Premium Subscriber
sbdo P25

how far off is P25 for san berdu?

Also There is a System 15 that is a fill in for needles,

Krmit

Premium Subscriber
All you info below is still good.

System 10: Didn't exist when I was there, but I think it is San Bernardino City's system. Correct

System 11-20 are extensions of 1-10 due to programming limitations of the radios. i.e. system 1 and system 11 are both North Desert

There are several conventional channels called D-FIRE, D-LAW, D-GOV... used to cover areas that the trunked systems don't.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Thanks for your information Krmit! I worked off the 800 conventional towers in the north desert most of the time I was there (I was in the Trona and Baker areas at different times of my SBDO County career). Back then the towers were still called "Trona Law, Baker Law, Mtn Pass Law", etc. I see that they have since gone to the generic "D-LAW-#" format.

All you info below is still good.

System 11-20 are extensions of 1-10 due to programming limitations of the radios. i.e. system 1 and system 11 are both North Desert

There are several conventional channels called D-FIRE, D-LAW, D-GOV... used to cover areas that the trunked systems don't.

bb911

System 9 is still West End muni PDs, except R. Cuca. and Chino Hills who are on System 6 because they contract with SBSO.

West End muni FDs are on 9, except R. Cuca. FD, which switched to County dispatch (system 6).

MCIAD

VHF Simulcast

Does Comm Center still simulcast their Fire Dispatches, specifically System 8 in the Mountain ares, on VHF? I was up in the Big Bear/Angelus Oaks area today and heard nothing on County 2, which is what they used to use.

Gotta go back in a week, so I'd like to get the latest info, please.

Krmit

Premium Subscriber
When they completed the narrow banding of the VHF plan they dropped full time simulcast. County 1-4 will only be patched when requested or on a major incident.

Does Comm Center still simulcast their Fire Dispatches, specifically System 8 in the Mountain ares, on VHF? I was up in the Big Bear/Angelus Oaks area today and heard nothing on County 2, which is what they used to use.

RobertW1

When they completed the narrow banding of the VHF plan they dropped full time simulcast. County 1-4 will only be patched when requested or on a major incident.

This is creating major radio problems with Station 101 in Wrightwood, as the 800Mhz system does not work well in the area because of the mountains. They have always relied on the VHF patch into the 800 MHz system off Frost Peak.

When patrolling for the USFS out of Big Pines we always have the USFS radios on scan which had County-1, 151.145 programmed into them. Now nothing but silence. When working a mutual incident County White 1 or USFS TAC 2 now has to be used.

I've heard that the County VHF patch (now County-3, 151.1525) on Frost Peak may go simulcast again in the near future as they continue the rebanding of the radios because of the very poor 800 Mhz reception in the Wrightwood, Big Pines Area, but I don't know if that is true.

Again, the queston about WHEN SBCo will switch to digital is a good one. I've been told that after the rebanding and a period of testing they plan on switching to digital like switching on a light switch. Any information in this regard would be appreciated...

Last edited:

kd6ecz

I spoke to Dave Seidel (I am told he designed the 800 MHz radio system 20+ years ago) a few years ago about the liklihood of the county going digital. He told me that the county would have to put up 10 times the number of radio sites in order to get a digital radio system to work due to the large area as well as the terrain that has to be dealt with. I'm not sure if he was exaggerating or not but it certainly makes sense to me.

Of course this was near the beginning of the rebanding project and he has long since retired so I have no idea what they have been up to lately.

RobertW1

I know somebody with the San Bernardino County EOC. His analog mobile radio has been changed out to a digital radio, which wasn't cheap, in preparation for the system switching to digital after the rebanding is complete.

So it appears that the plan is to go digital, but apparently they are running into a lot of problems with the rebanding and a lot of things they hadn't planned on still need to be worked out.

jrholm

There is still a patch in Big Bear, just not the Green. 155.3625 is now used, which is licensed to the City of Big Bear Lake. It links to 8-fire-1 now that county dispatches for them.

thumper35

I am new to listening and just bought a BCT15X and dont know all the difinitions of all the code and everything. i had a hand held scanner that i had to input the 7 digit code to get the channel but now i see new code and dont know how to input them or what they mean. can someone help me out here.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Gentleman, assuming David doesn't mind I've used paraphrased versions of his descriptions to prominently feature systems 1-10 at the top of the San Bernardino county page in the database. I did this once before but they were lost in translation at some point.

Let me know if it can be refined at all, and I hope it helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.