Orange County CCCS Cells Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am able to pickup the Countywide,South,North,Northwest,Southwest cells with no problem.

I was wondering was the Silverado,Laguna,Moorhead,Carbon Canyon,Corna del Mar, San Clemente, Crystal Cove cells are used for?

I am able to pickup the Laguna cell a little bit, but I am just curious what the rest of them are used for, or are they not being used.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
I am able to pickup the Countywide,South,North,Northwest,Southwest cells with no problem.

I was wondering was the Silverado,Laguna,Moorhead,Carbon Canyon,Corna del Mar, San Clemente, Crystal Cove cells are used for?

I am able to pickup the Laguna cell a little bit, but I am just curious what the rest of them are used for, or are they not being used.

All of those areas are poorly served by the various simulcast zones (there is a finite number of sites you can put into a simulcast zone), so the specific sites were added to provide the level of coverage needed in those areas.

monitor142

Most are IntelliRepeaters. They are simply for fill in and normally have 3-4 channels. Only certain talkgroups are allowed to roam on these sites. While OC is a SmartZone system, they are a bit more conservative on what has roaming capability.

Laguna is an actual cell and many of Laguna's talkgroups roam on either the South or Countywide, or both.

Moorhead is an IR site but has a lot more channels available for voice traffic probably for wildfire type incidents as it is up on a hill and has pretty good coverage around and into downtown Laguna. The key here is it shares frequencies with the North Cell so the RF coverage has to be fine tuned. Laguna as you might imagine is a royal pain due to terrain and the small canyons that they have.

There is plans to improve the area and consolidate spectrum and beef up the cell. It has to go through the coastal commission and a few other agencies first for approvals but the County is working on it as we speak.

-SD

monitor142

No problem...as a fellow hobbyist I share what I have figured out over time. The County system is very dynamic and the folks in charge of it work hard to make improvements when the money is available. Nothing is perfect...now if they would just get rid of the encryption on the Green and Yellow talkgroups....I know I won't hold me breath : )

monitor142, I'm enjoying your posts and learning a lot. Thanks!

pepsima1

Banned
No problem...as a fellow hobbyist I share what I have figured out over time. The County system is very dynamic and the folks in charge of it work hard to make improvements when the money is available. Nothing is perfect...now if they would just get rid of the encryption on the Green and Yellow talkgroups....I know I won't hold me breath : )

I am not even asking for all of the Green talkgroups to be in the clear. Just have all of the Green 1 talkgroups or their dispatch in the clear and keep their Green 2 and 3 encrypted for any tacticals. I would be happy with that improvement. Also open up the Yellow Talkgroups too. Not sure about Black,Grey and Orange Tacticals. This would put the icing on the cake

pepsima1

Banned
Is San Clemente site splinter or standard?

San Clemente site is a standard site but don't even bother with that trunking system. Nothing is ever transmitted on the site. All of San Clemente is covered on the Countywide System since this system has a big foot print.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
The CDM and Crystal Cove IR's are fairly active. They routinely carry 3-F and 3-I because Newport Sta 65 is down that way. Not sure about the Greens, though. I Haven't been down there in a while. As far as the San Clemente IR site goes, I believe that is mainly for beach coverage. If you're down by the pier, you may not be in range of the Countywide Cell.
Bottom line: I wouldn't be too quick to write off these sites.

Last edited:

mike619

I am not even asking for all of the Green talkgroups to be in the clear. Just have all of the Green 1 talkgroups or their dispatch in the clear and keep their Green 2 and 3 encrypted for any tacticals. I would be happy with that improvement. Also open up the Yellow Talkgroups too. Not sure about Black,Grey and Orange Tacticals. This would put the icing on the cake

As messed up as it is hiding calls from us I don't see that happening any time soon but maybe if you had an official radio programmed maybe that would work not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.