Coastal OC listeners:

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDaze

Last year, CHP was helping out in the Newport Beach party-war zone using 154.905, so there was some action to hear as things heated up with the revelers.

I don't know what their plan is this year, but it's worth a try.

If anyone has any other thoughts, let's hear it. Otherwise, it's mostly Lifeguards and NBFD, since all the fun stuff is of course encrypted.

Huntington Beach's parade is being assisted at this moment by HB RACES, 447.940.

karldotcom

I thought CHP had changed their portables to 700 mhz? It didnt make sense until I read the whole concept that they could then operate on 800 mhz systems in areas that have then...for instance, an ITAC for interops.

RadioDaze

Thanks Karl... that's the kind of observation I'm interested in. The question is, does that mean they can go encrypted with NBPD? I.e., Orange, Black Grey from the Law Interoperability Talkgroups OC CCCS

If so, I'm more screwed than I was last year.

karldotcom

Well, interop is supposed to be analog....but who knows. They could give the CHiPies NBPD radios. or they could patch onto a CHP VHF channel like LA does.

You should start to hear something soon. Here is an LA Times article on how they tripled fines for July 4.

Newport Beach girds for the Fourth - latimes.com

The fire talk groups are still analog right? that would be some good listening.

RadioDaze

Fire is analog - yes, it's good listening. Later on there will be calls for assaults, passed out people, etc. Also, probably some people smashed up in what is expected to be epic big waves. I can already see the big sets coming in.

If you have digital, then the lifeguards are interesting too.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Look for CHP to be on 154.905 again. The 700 MHz portable roll out (some 6500 radios) is slowly working its way north-to-south, so no radios in general Southern CA circulation yet.

fightfire4u

Not to change the subject to much...
Regarding ORCO fire and their radio behavior... OCFA is working a structure fire near Lake Forrest, Orange IC, and Some structure collapse causing them to go defensive. I am coming up on 11 years with CAL FIRE, currently in an incident command team roll. I have had the pleasure of assisting many fire agencies throughout the state as well as out of state a few times...
I have to say, the Orange County Fire Authority fire ground radio traffic is top notch. All resources involved, from firefighters to IC to dispatch, this agency communicates well. The BC's have ICS down and it shows well though their radio traffic.
Could be mistaken for a scripted drill...
Hats off to ORCO FIRE as well as city agencies within the County.
Very professional agency!

I do have one negative... Mutual aid can be a bit frustrating due to their 800 MHz system while agencies assisting are VHF. ORCO comm folks are aware and working this issue out...

Be safe all!

Status
Not open for further replies.