Lapd radio code

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbekhor

I have heard in the past that officers say show it a code 4"BO" or something like that call. And when they had issues with their mdc they used to say their mdc was down. Now they say "my mdc is bo" or something like that. What does BO mean or what are they saying?

Mick

As I understand it "BO" is for "Bad order" meaning inoperative, or not functioning.

I have heard in the past that officers say show it a code 4"BO" or something like that call. And when they had issues with their mdc they used to say their mdc was down. Now they say "my mdc is bo" or something like that. What does BO mean or what are they saying?

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
As I understand it "BO" is for "Bad order" meaning inoperative, or not functioning.
Yep, "bad order" - as in "it's not working right." They've been using that expression forever... or at least since 1949 where I see Training Manual references for reporting "BO radios" and "BO field telephones" (Gamewell callboxes).

Attachments

• BO from 1949 DTM.jpg
    BO from 1949 DTM.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 2,843

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
also very common with chp

bo extender etc

(that usually just means he doesnt understand his avr is detuned to 45 microvolts and he doesnt understand he cant move away more than 50 ft)

PJaxx

"Code 4" on LAPD

There's probably a simple explanation for this, but I've wondered why LAPD units and dispatchers, when they say Code 4, which means no further assistance needed, will oftentimes add "sufficient units at the scene." It just sounds redundant and a slight waste of busy airtime. TIA

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
There's probably a simple explanation for this, but I've wondered why LAPD units and dispatchers, when they say Code 4, which means no further assistance needed, will oftentimes add "sufficient units at the scene." It just sounds redundant and a slight waste of busy airtime. TIA
That's a reasonable question, with a fairly easy answer. There are a number of reasons for an ofcr to broadcast a "Code 4," and his/her giving the reason for it will often affect what the other responding units will do, and it alerts the RTO as to what the situation is at the scene and what may be expected next.

Your example of "Code 4, sufficient units" strongly implies that that the incident isn't over yet, and probably that the suspect, if any, isn't in custody, but there are sufficient officers there to handle it. It may be a call localized to a specific place, like a home, or it may involve a perimeter, but it's still conveying that they've got enough officers there to handle it, and other responding units can go back to whatever they were doing, but still remain aware that it isn't quite over yet.

"Code 4, suspect in custody" lets everyone know that the situation is essentially stable and will be wrapping up soon, with not much likelihood that it's going to go sideways.

There is also a "Code 4 Adam" which means there are sufficient units at the scene, but the suspect is still outstanding. In this case, other responding units will continue to the area (but not the scene) of the call to look for the suspect, of whom the handling officer should be broadcasting a description and the crime for which he's wanted.

There are other self-explanatory Code 4 subtypes, such as "Code 4, no 211 (or 'no 459,' 'no shooting,' or 'suspects and victims GOA' ). Those all pretty much mean that there's no apparent crime, so again everybody can go back to whatever they were doing before.

In all those cases, a plain "Code 4" with no explanation would leave other responding officers and the RTO wondering whether or not to expect to hear more details that they need to be aware of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.