Red Channel, more than 1 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbagley

Greanman
Just recently got back into scanning here in O.C. and remember the Red channel as one that broadcasts car pursuits, bank robberies, missing children and other high priority activities. Now all i seem to get is freeway closings due to traffic accidents and area fire departments using it on fires.

I have it a priority channel but wonder is there now more than one where i can find the stuff i used to hear on it ? If anybdoy has a new info that would help me get updated i sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
I recently heard a pursuit in Orange County on 39.46 Mhz referring to the Red Channel. It involved an Orange County police department. I didn't hear any traffic on the 800Mhz Red Channel, but all was repeated on the low band CLEMARS Gold 6 channel. I have TG 50720 for the Orange County Red Channel, perhaps the trunkgroup has been changed.

monitor142

The Red talkgroup is still on 50720 on the Countywide cell. It is not normally on any other cells other than Laguna for roaming. It is digital clear...not encrypted.

-M142

rbagley

Greanman
Thanks for the info. Any idea as to why we don't hear anything but traffic alerts ?

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Now all i seem to get is freeway closings due to traffic accidents and area fire departments using it on fires.

Sounds like you are listening to OC ACCESS (151.085), which is not RED channel. OC ACCESS is an interoperability channel so that neighboring counties that use VHF can communicate with OC units that operate on 800 Mhz. Hence the fire traffic you are hearing.
They certainly have the ability to patch a pursuit into this channel, but there aren't too many law agencies that use VHF in the area that would be pursuing a vehicle. Corona PD is about the only one I can think of off the top of my head. You'll need a digital scanner to hear the RED talkgroup.

SCPD

QRT
You'll need a digital scanner to hear the RED talkgroup.

Or listen to the Orange County Fire live audio feed on RR. That feed also runs RED Channel. I've heard crime broadcasts as well as pursuits on the live audio feed, as I'm sure others have. I consider the live audio feed a great public service. Saved me $350, since I didn't have to buy a digital scanner in order to hear RED.:D

Dave
KA6TJF

monitor142

Depending which way the pursuit is headed, they will patch the different CLEMARS channels to the Red talkgroup. Freeways usually get CLEMARS Lo patched, if it's headed towards LA/Long Beach, they can fire up the UHF CLEMARS patch. If it goes into Corona, the OC VHF ACCESS can be patched for Corona PD. Lots of options are available for interop across multiple bands and a lot more is planned down the road.

-M142

Status
Not open for further replies.