Ventura County Calif freqs ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Ventura County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I have a couple of questions about the Ventura County radio channels.

1. The new FD command simulcast channels - are they 'synchronized' simulcast? Are they just used by Chief Officers and dispatchers?

2. 154.01 vs 154.01r - 154.325 vs 154.325r - when are the repeaterized versions of these channels used? Per the channel layout, it seems that typical use is in simplex (non repeaterized) mode

3. AMR freqs - usage??? Are AMR units paged on 154.01 or 155.205? On the feed I hear frequent moveups but I dont know which channel it is on.

4. Did Ventura County scale back on its plan (? 2007) to have multiple synchronized simulcast channels?

Thanks - Peter Sz

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber

1. The new FD command simulcast channels - are they 'synchronized' simulcast? Are they just used by Chief Officers and dispatchers? These are not yet in play... MCIAD hopefully will chime in, but I think they go into service in a year or so once all the infrastructure is in place and testing is done.

2. 154.01 vs 154.01r - 154.325 vs 154.325r - when are the repeaterized versions of these channels used? The repeater of VNC1 and VNC2 is rarely used. VNC4 uses the repeater, but it doesn't seem to work so well. If VNC4R does not work, crews switch to VNC4 to contact dispatch. I would have to guess that VNC1R and VNC2R would be beneficial if dispatch lost ability to transmit, and a field unit needed to dispatch remotely, but with the new communications center, I doubt that would happen.

Per the channel layout, it seems that typical use is in simplex (non repeaterized) mode. Yes, 99.999% of the time, it is in simplex mode..

3. AMR freqs - usage??? Are AMR units paged on 154.01 or 155.205? On the feed I hear frequent moveups but I dont know which channel it is on. AMR is dispatched by VCFD on the same VNC1 as every other VCFPD unit in the county. All of the paramedic ambulances are dispatched by VCFPD now, so everything is done on 154.01. The 155.205 was the frequency that was used by AMR many years ago when they had their own dispatch center, and it is now used as a medical tactical channel on a very, very, very rare occasion. Usually the calls (again, 99.999% of the time) are assigned VNC2, VNC4, or VNC6 after the initial dispatch, until the unit clears, then they go back to channel 1 (VNC1) to stand by for the next call. The AMR units use Minitor V tone-voice pagers for alerting, and in the ambulances there are MDC computers with the same dispatch system that all of the fire units are on.

4. Did Ventura County scale back on its plan (? 2007) to have multiple synchronized simulcast channels? I think there may have been some scaling back, would have to assume, but MCIAD would have more info on that...

Hopefully that helps...

spock00

1. The new FD command simulcast channels - are they 'synchronized' simulcast? Are they just used by Chief Officers and dispatchers? These are not yet in play... MCIAD hopefully will chime in, but I think they go into service in a year or so once all the infrastructure is in place and testing is done.

2. 154.01 vs 154.01r - 154.325 vs 154.325r - when are the repeaterized versions of these channels used? The repeater of VNC1 and VNC2 is rarely used. VNC4 uses the repeater, but it doesn't seem to work so well. If VNC4R does not work, crews switch to VNC4 to contact dispatch. I would have to guess that VNC1R and VNC2R would be beneficial if dispatch lost ability to transmit, and a field unit needed to dispatch remotely, but with the new communications center, I doubt that would happen.

Per the channel layout, it seems that typical use is in simplex (non repeaterized) mode. Yes, 99.999% of the time, it is in simplex mode..

Hopefully that helps...

Why use Simplex or Base/Mobile for FD Dispatch & CMD channels? Why doesn't VNC4R not work? How can it not if it is on multiple sites that cover the county?

On a side note:
Is all VC Sheriff stuff going to repeaters? I remember how annoying it was listening to one side of the convo unless you were close to the units...

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
From what I can tell, 4R only has a receiver (for the 155.1 input) on one site on a hill between Ventura and Ojai (Red Mtn maybe). ... so, if the signal is weak getting into that one site, the repeated message will be poor. For example, if a unit is running a call north on Hwy 33 into the Los Padres, their ability to transmit a clean signal to that repeater site is pretty poor. The VNC 4D has receiver sites located in several areas around the county, including Sulphur Mtn ( I think) as well as some other mountain peaks, so the dispatcher (who receives the audio from those mtn tops via phone line or microwave, or some other method) can hear better than if they are only listening to the audio coming from the repeater site between Ojai and Ventura.

spock00

From what I can tell, 4R only has a receiver (for the 155.1 input) on one site on a hill between Ventura and Ojai (Red Mtn maybe). ... so, if the signal is weak getting into that one site, the repeated message will be poor. For example, if a unit is running a call north on Hwy 33 into the Los Padres, their ability to transmit a clean signal to that repeater site is pretty poor. The VNC 4D has receiver sites located in several areas around the county, including Sulphur Mtn ( I think) as well as some other mountain peaks, so the dispatcher (who receives the audio from those mtn tops via phone line or microwave, or some other method) can hear better than if they are only listening to the audio coming from the repeater site between Ojai and Ventura.

I wonder why only one receiver site for 4R? $?

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it was a test before they went system wide many years ago, then they went with the new system design and it is a remnant...dunno...

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I did a little more research on this topic. I compared the info in the RR database to the info in the FCC ULS. I looked at Command Channels 35 and 36. It seems that the RR database might have the inputs and outputs reversed for these 2 channels - unless there are MO3 (mobile relays) as part of the picture.

Anyhow - this is what the FCC ULS has -

154.725 - no FB2 (repeater) in Ventura County

155.985 - Simi Valley base and mobile
155.985 - Ventura County FD FB2 at Simi Valley
155.985 - Ventura County FD FB2 at South Mtn near Santa Paula
155.985 - Ventura County FD FB2 at Camarillo

158.805 - Simi Valley (2 base + 1 FX1 + 350 mobs - 6/03 license)
158.805 - Simi Valley (250 mobiles)
158.805 - Ventura County FD (200 mobiles)

153.875 - VCFD FB2 at Simi Valley - 6/04 + 3/10 licenses - KMD489
153.875 - VCFD FB2 at Rasnow Peak near Newbury Park - 6/05 + 12/09 - WPQJ868
153.875 - VCFD FB2 at Tarantuala Hill near 1000 Oaks - 5/05 + 3/10 - WQCU364
153.875 - VCFD FB2 at Presidential Drive in Simi Valley - 9/06 + 12/09 - WQFR241
153.875 - VCFD FB2 at Malibu - WQFFR241
153.875 - VCFD FB2 at Santa Susanna Pass Rd - WQFR241
153.875 - Ventura County FB2 at Santa Rosa - WQFR241

Clearly this is backwards from what the RR database shows for Command Channels 35 and 36.

I could continue data hunting and build a spreadsheet with a nice map, but I get the impression that this is all very much up in the air at this time.

Peter Sz

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
LZJSR - thanks for your reply. It should be easy to remember. All dispatch on 154.01 - response is on 2, 4, or 6.

Another advantage to using a repeater is that mobiles and portables can talk around hills and mountains - IF they can get into the repeater clearly.

Peter sz

wuzafuzz

Does anyone have a Win500 file for Ventura County they would be willing to share? I'll be visiting family in Camarillo for a couple weeks in Nov. I still have my old freq lists from when I lived and worked there, but it's been 17 years.

I know I could read the database and program it myself...but I'll be lazy if I can.

fender1878

Every agency in the county, with the exception of Oxnard Fire Department, is dispatched by the VFCC (Ventura Fire Communications Center). This also includes the three ALS transport providers: AMR, Gold Coast Ambulance and Lifeline Ambulance, as well as the the Ventura County Sheriff's Department air squads and copters. At this point in time, everything in the county basically has an MDT and GPS tracker in it, including the ambulance companies.

Everybody monitors VNC 1 (154.0100) for their calls. Each unit in the system is assigned a Quick-Call II tones and receives these tones anytime they are assigned a call or a move-up. If any unit on the ticket is available on air or out of quarters, then the QC-II tones are followed by the three single tones. After listening for awhile, you begin to pick up on the tones. Most people who work in the county, can tell you what kind of call is coming out based on the tones and resources being assigned before the actual voice dispatch is given. Once the call is dispatched, all of the units are assigned a "command" and "tactical" frequency for the incident. Command channels are repeated while tac channels are for simplex-fireground use. All communication with FCC for your call takes place on the command channel and not VNC-1, including status changes (en route, on scene, transporting, etc) should the computer not work. This is similar to how LA County operates with Blue-8 and the response channel plan. These command/tac pairs are based on the sector and location in the county. Therefore, the same units will typically always utilize the same command/tac pairs.

The majority of the system isn't repeated and therefore, most mobiles can't hear each other and rely on FCC for relay of information. VNC 4-repeat is an interesting story. A "temporary" site was placed up there during the Day Fire a few years ago and left there (almost by accident). Recently, FCC decided to make this a repeated site for the Piru area to help VCFD Station 28 get out over there. Historically, communications have always been really bad at the lake.

There have been talks for a long time (getting more serious recently) about assigning the ambulances to their own dispatch channel. If you notice, the majority of traffic on VNC-1 is ambulance move-ups. For us fire guys, it can get annoying -- especially with all of the tones. Which is why most people still carry a Minitor or use the Silent setting on the HT. Prior to the new MDT system, ambulances would be given their move-up assignment over the air: "Medic 422, move-up, 126 and Hallock." Now all you hear is "Medic 422 move-up," and the post is sent via MDT. They have also experimented with pre-alerts in the past: "Medical, 91's" followed by full voice dispatch. The latest thing is the 3-beep for units out of quarters. The philosophy is trying to use the QC-II's for alert only when in quarters. So if a unit is available by voice, they won't get their QC-II tones anymore, just the "beep beep beep."

Let me know if you guys have any more questions!

Last edited:

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
There have been talks for a long time (getting more serious recently) about assigning the ambulances to their own dispatch channel. If you notice, the majority of traffic on VNC-1 is ambulance move-ups.

Oh thank goodness! Egad, the incessant move-up tones are just annoying.

Purple was a great idea in it's time. Let's go back to that!

uman18

Before the alert beeps on VNC-1 , those were only heard on the PD channels. "beep-beep-beep" not the tone outs, so before you knew when a robbery had just happened or a major crime when PD dispatched the beeps' now fire does them all the time so you have to look at the scanner to see what freq its on to see if its a PD or fire beep alert and true most traffic on VNC-1 is move-ups or IFT's.

Also Gold Coast was bought out by AMR a few months ago but still goes by Golds Coast, just info.

But don't forget about Command 16 155.0400 (Ventura City area and sometimes coastal areas instead of command 6)

and if you coming down to Camarillo, you will pick up Oxnard Fire really good, they get some good stuff.

Oxnard FD 1 154.1450 Dispatch
Oxnard FD 3 154.0700 Command

Last edited:

fender1878

Like Ventura City, Fillmore FD's channel assignment doesn't quite follow the game plan either. If it is a normal routine call (medicals, simple fires, etc) where mutual-aid is not a concern, then they are assigned CMND-6 and Fillmore Tac (Orange). If they are covering for the county or running a county or other mutual aid assignment, then they are assigned CMND-6 and TAC-7 like the other agencies in the Santa Clara Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.