LASD - "PalmTac" (Palmdale Metro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd6pn

Premium Subscriber
Try 476.1875 "Palmdale Metro".
However the LASD seems to be having problems with this freq with interference.

Starman918

I know at one time, you could not broadcast on any of Palmdale/Lancaster’s frequencies in the LA Metro area due to it causing interference with I believe LAPD. This might be still true. I know that the radio cars would have a sticker on the dashboard indicating this.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I can't vouch for its usage, however 478.6875 is indeed licensed to LASD with a transmitter up in Palmdale.

I also note 478.6875 comes up mentioned as the right frequency in a few local area forum discussions in the last few years.

I am picking up "Palmdale Metro" on 476.1875, but it seems faint and with a bit of static. Doesn't sound like that on LASD's radios though, so maybe that still isn't the right frequencies? not sure..

And I believe what you are talking about with the LAPD interference has to do with their MDT's and not their radios.. the stickers talk about only using a certain Data Channel for their MDT's in the Antelope Valley area.. have yet to see a sticker about the radios.

kd6pn

Premium Subscriber
476.1875 is the frequency for "Palmdale Metro".
479.1875 is the input frequency.
PL may be 162.2hz, but not verified.
I listened to a 417 perimeter setup at 30th E + Palmdale Bl last night.
Helicopter uses direct while field units use repeat.

Starman918

You are probably right re: it being interference with the data channels. I haven't seen that sticker in a while. If I remember correctly, the LASD data channels are in the 470 range. They were part of the old LASD 470 radio system used by detectives and special units until the 480 system came online.

kd6pn

Premium Subscriber
Palmdale Metro Tac ...confirmed

The frequency is verified as stated; 473.1875 [479.1875 input PL-162.2hz] (no PL on output).

"260 David" is the Palmdale desk and is the frequency monitor.

Looks like L-Tac 11 [483.1875] will still be used for Lancaster and other AV units not attached to Palmdale.

Starman I think you are right that LASD is receiving interference from MDT data channels nearby.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
kd6pn confirm its 476.1875 or 473.1875??. You contradict yourself between reply 6 and 8.

Based on the discussion here I'll happily update the database and remove 478.6875 and replace with whatever we decide is right Palmdale Metro-Tac.

monitor142

It probably is 476.1875 however I can not confirm as I'm too far away to monitor it. (473.1875 is the input to 470.1875) LA County is deploying spectrum on TV Ch. 15 to get some construction compliance on their slow growth licenses. Seems to be basic standalone repeater installations without any voting as noted by monitoring the new Compton tac channel.

-M142

kd6pn confirm its 476.1875 or 473.1875??. You contradict yourself between reply 6 and 8.

Based on the discussion here I'll happily update the database and remove 478.6875 and replace with whatever we decide is right Palmdale Metro-Tac.

Last edited:

WA6KFI

Lasd channel plan

The New L.A.S.D. Channel Plan's show 476.1875 R as a Local Tac "L-TAC-??" no number assigned to it for the Palmdale area. NEW "Star-Tac" channels as well... S-TAC-24S = 479.0500 S PL-162.2 / S-TAC-25S = 476.2000 S PL-162.2 / S-TAC-26S = 479.2000 S PL-162.2 / S-TAC-27R = 478.4750 R PL-162.2 / S-TAC-28R = 478.6125 R PL-162.2 / S-TAC-29R = 478.6250 R PL-162.2 / S-TAC-30R = 478.6375 R PL-162.2 We all should start monitoring for the coverage areas of these new frequencies. Enjoy!

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I've updated the DB to show 476.1875 as the Palmdale channel.

finaldraft151

Premium Subscriber
Palmdale "Metro" is simply Palmdale Stations own "L-Tac" Channel now; Due to the high volume of traffic on "L-Tac 11" which was utilized by both Palmdale and Lancaster stations it was decided that Palmdale and Lancaster needed separate L-Tacs to coordinate their calls. In a study conducted last year at SCC, the conclusion was that both Dispatch 15 (Lancaster and Palmdale) and Dispatch 9 (Carson and Compton) were the two busiest "working" dispatch channels utilized by the department; Feedback on this from field, station and SCC personnel reaffirmed this and the County considered (briefly) splitting up Dispatch 15 into two separate channels as well as Dispatch 9, that way in the event of significant 10-33 traffic that required the utilization of the Duplex patch for extended periods of time, it wouldn't conflict with the other shared station on the channel. Common sense dictated and later nixed the idea of splitting both channels up and instead the practical solution was to give Palmdale and Compton station their own L-Tac's as the majority of the feedback received indicated that when Lancaster or Palmdale went 10-33 on the patch one of the other stations needed a fallback channel to switch to continue with business as usual (assuming Palmdale or Lancaster, Compton, Carson, Etc. didn't need or was not requesting resources from each other) - as well as all stations simply were now too busy with routine traffic to share an L-Tac; Thus two new channels were introduced; "Palmdale Metro" and "Compton Metro" (as Compton and Carson stations all had similar concerns regarding the need for their own L-Tacs) - Regardless of 10-33 traffic, the L-Tacs were simply becoming overwhelmed with routine radio traffic and coordination as a result from the high volume of calls and the lack of a clear local area tactical (L-Tac) induced frustration from field units, their desks personnel, as well as SCC.
Palmdale Metro is 479.1875 (RX) 476.1875 (TX) - The new repeater was briefly housed at Palmdale Station and provided very limited coverage to Palmdale City or "Metro" units - Recently it was relocated to Hauser Peak where it now provides coverage to the entire city of Palmdale as well as Littlerock, Lake LA and East County Cars. There are currently plans in the works to link "Lake Tac" (Bluerock) with Palmdale Metro to extend coverage to Palmdale cars working the East County area, but at this time there seems to be no problems with East County Palmdale cars being able to transmit on Palmdale Metro. East units continue to use "Lake Dispatch" (Dispatch 15 via Bluerock) as their working channel and freely switch to Palmdale Metro as needed.
The only downside to Palmdale Metro is the inability of units outside the Antelope Valley (and vise-versa) being able to transmit and/or receive radio traffic (for instance, a containment where a K-9 or other additional resources are requested) if they are responding from the LA Basin to the Antelope Valley. This is why a traditional area tactical or "A-Tac" is still preferred over Palmdale Metro in the event of a major emergency where resources from the LA Basin are requested and responding, however at this time SCC now has the capability to patch in Dispatch 15 with Palmdale Metro in the event the emergency warrants it, thus increasing the coverage significantly to the LA Basin. Of course the good old fashion 10-5 or "Relay" still works, but the technology is now in place to patch all channels together.

kd6pn

Premium Subscriber
Thank you 151 for such a detailed report. Yes, I figured the transmitter site changed to Hauser because I pick up Palmdale Metro very well in the Acton area. Does Lake Los Angeles have its own tactical?

finaldraft151

Premium Subscriber
Thank you 151 for such a detailed report. Yes, I figured the transmitter site changed to Hauser because I pick up Palmdale Metro very well in the Acton area. Does Lake Los Angeles have its own tactical?

Not at this time. Lake LA "Dispatch" and "Lake Tac" are sometimes confused as being two different frequencies; They are still Dispatch 15 and L-Tac 11 - But LAKE DISP and LAKE TAC utilize Bluerock Repeater (just a free standing tower situated north of Ave J/170th St East) as Hauser Peak has spotty coverage in the Lake LA Area, and plenty of dead zones east of the Buttes, which units were not even able to hit on their mobile radios. Bluerock eliminated this dead zone for radio traffic, however Data traffic is still spotty in the Lake;

When East County Lancaster Cars (114 Series) or any unit heads out to the the "Lake" they switch over to LAKE DISP and utilize "LAKE TAC" as "L-Tac" - Different channels on their radio matrix, but not different frequencies. Just a variation on the PL Tone to open up Bluerock. This was originally just a Lancaster "improvement" ... However after advising East Palmdale County cars in Littlerock to try it out, it was found that "LAKE DISP" and "LAKE TAC" worked well for them in the event they find themselves in areas of Littlerock or Wrightoood where radio reception was poor, so both East County Lancaster and Palmdale cars will use Bluerock; This has no effect on the scanner listener or the dispatcher at both the station level or SCC, as nobody knows whether they are transmitting on standard LAN/PLM Dispatch 15 (Ch 59) or "Lake Disp" - (via Bluerock)

Unfortunately last summers Leona Valley fire all but destroyed the repeater at Mt McDill and the radio system lost that crucial repeater link; North County is still limited to Bluerock and supported by Hauser, Frost Peak (near Wrightwood) and Bald Mountain near Gorman - Plans for fixing Mt McDill have been in the works and it should be back online soon.

Feel free to ask any questions;
73's - Happy Holidays and Stay Safe!

Best

E T Patton - KE6JLL
PRD II LASD SCC
Los Angeles CA 90063

Uplink

finaldraft151, thanks for posting, and joining the RR forums!, your info answers a ton of questions, and input is greatly welcomed here!

73's, and Happy New Year, N6KES

:D

finaldraft151

Premium Subscriber
No problem - Glad to have joined.. I actually use the Santa Clarita online scanner for training purposes - It's perfect as it has a 3-5 second delay on dispatch 5 so it's almost like an instant playback. I've also noticed a lot of valuable info and questions in the archives that I will try to answer or clarify. There is obviously a lot of good folks with a great working knowledge of LASD's radio system and protocol on here, as well as info on policy and procedure specific to radio operations. The only thing I laughed at and have to clarify (and my apologies to the author as this is not meant to offend) but there was an older post that went into great detail about the inner workings of LASD/SCC and the Radio Room - 98% of the info was right on the money with the exception of the staffing levels;

Never has there ever been 30 dispatchers manning SCC - The highest staffing levels I have ever seen is 14 people on any given shift. And those were the good old days of "optimum staffing" vs the present days of "minimum staffing" - which averages out to about 9 bodies total per shift... With one dispatcher in phones at SCC (each PRD is required to work an hour of phones during their shift where they take alarm calls from ADT, Bay Alarm, etc) and maybe two on a required break, that leaves 6 bodies total to work the air. There are 4 new bodies fresh off training so staffing levels are increasing and with this will come a drop in the air traffic on any one particular channel as the dispatcher who say, is working Lancaster/Palmdale will now NOT also be working, Cerritos/Lakewood, Carson/Compton, Norwalk/Pico Rivera - As for the busy tone.. Sorry folks, it's here to stay... Even with the new system upgrade.. They opted to keep it... Further on that later.

Merry Chirstmas!
- Eric

Uplink

thanks Eric!, yes, that busy tone is another one of those "only in LA" kind of things, glad to hear there will be less combo dispatching soon, we just want to know what's going on in "our" valley, :lol::lol: keep us posted on the system upgrades.

Happy New Year, Mark, :D

Last edited:

Krazeboy

Premium Subscriber
Compton/Carson L-TAC

As For LASD Carson/Compton L-Tac Has Split Carson Remains as L-TAC 5 And Compton Metro Uses
L-TAC 13 476.0625 Input 479.0625 Output 162.2 PL

Status
Not open for further replies.