When it rains this much in L.A...

Status
Not open for further replies.

madscanner

Anyone have any frequency recommendations for interesting listening when it rains significantly in Los Angeles?

I'm in the eastern San Gabriel valley, and usually listen to my local cities' public works frequencies in times like this, for one.

Another interesting frequency is 163.4375, which lights up hourly (or even more frequently) with check-ins from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers personnel who go up to their dams to maintain things during periods of rain.

(I've always wondered whether there was a place to hear L.A. county's public works people maintaining the county's dams in this area during periods of rain -- like Morris Dam right above me in Azusa. Alas, have never been able to find anything like that.)

judas12

Anyone have any frequency recommendations for interesting listening when it rains significantly in Los Angeles?

I'm in the eastern San Gabriel valley, and usually listen to my local cities' public works frequencies in times like this, for one.

Another interesting frequency is 163.4375, which lights up hourly (or even more frequently) with check-ins from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers personnel who go up to their dams to maintain things during periods of rain.

(I've always wondered whether there was a place to hear L.A. county's public works people maintaining the county's dams in this area during periods of rain -- like Morris Dam right above me in Azusa. Alas, have never been able to find anything like that.)

Is there a pl tone for 163 ?

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
If you get any confirmed public work frequencies that are currently not in the DB kindly submit them.

Stay dry!

madscanner

The PL tone for 163.4375 is 131.8 -- assuming my spectrum analyzer isn't lying to me.

These are the callsigns I've collected over time for their operations:

WUK-4-11 Sepulvida Dam
WUK-4-12 (Unknown - never been able to identify this one)
WUK-4-15 Whittier Narrows (Rio Hondo Dam)
WUK-4-15 Whittier Narrows (San Gabrial Dam)
WUK-4-16 Brea Dam
WUK-4-17 Fullerton Dam
WUK-4-18 Carbon Canyon Dam
WUK-4-19 Santa Fe Dam
WUK-4-20 San Antonio Dam
WUK-4-21 Prado Dam
WUK-4-ROC Reservoir Operations Center

During past rainstorms (but not during this one so far), I have also heard U.S. ACE dam maintenance operations on 163.4125 (no idea of the PL). They also have a frequency for automated water levels telemetry from each location but I'm not certain about the wisdom/usefulness of posting it. You can see where the data ends up, though, at http://www.spl.usace.army.mil/resreg/ which has some nice plots of rainfall totals over time.

And on my aging list, I also have 44.84 (dams), 44.96 (yards), and 151.37 (administration) for the Los Angeles County Flood Control side of things. But I haven't heard activity on them during this rainstorm. That's one of the reasons I started this thread.

Regarding database submissions, will do. I just sent in some updates for the cities of Azusa, Glendora, Covina, and West Covina. I don't have a clue, though, where to submit the U.S. ACE information (the frequencies and callsigns above).

And about La Puente, I don't listen to anything in that town. :) But there are a few things licensed there, including some school districts and a water district. Check out www.cityfreq.com or the FCC's ULS database

Anyway, awaiting those rain frequencies if anyone's got 'em... :)

Last edited:

karldotcom

Have you tried listening to the LA County Trunked Radio System? I believe I have heard the flood control district on there....the County Road talk groups really light up in this weather, as well as the CalTrans frequencies...

Also, one time I heard some agency on ICIS.....I think Central Basin Water District (Montebello?)....I could never figure it out, other than they were talking about flow rates, etc.

madscanner

Have you tried listening to the LA County Trunked Radio System? I believe I have heard the flood control district on there....the County Road talk groups really light up in this weather, as well as the CalTrans frequencies...

I suppose that's something I'll have to work on when I graduate beyond my non-trunk-tracking Pro-2006 and Pro-43 receivers. ;)

In any case, I guess it's possible the county's dam operations people have moved to the county's trunked system. The 44.84 frequency I mentioned in an earlier post, on the other hand, still does exist at least according to the FCC. It's licensed to Los Angeles County with 300-watt 20K0F3E fixed base transmitters at Morris Dam (KMG738), San Gabriel Dam (KMG746), Cogswell Dam (KMG739), Devil's Gate Dam (KMF942), San Dimas Dam (KMG745), Eaton Dam (KMG741), Big Tujunga Dam (KMG740), Sawpit Dam (KMF944), Big Dalton Dam (KMF943), Santa Anita Dam (KMF941), and Puddingstone Dam (KMF940). Considering the remoteness of many of these locations (Cogswell for instance), one would think the county's 800 MHz trunked system would be pretty useless at these sites, and that you'd still be able to hear the dam operations people on 44.84 during big rainstorms. Alas...

Status
Not open for further replies.