Missing Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandpaFrank

Hello all, I posted a similar thread regarding this issue about a year ago and I thought I was done with it. However, recently I have only been able to hear one side of some conversations or radio calls. An example, I am monitoring the LAPD Harbor Div. and last night I heard dispatch come on and say (x) unit is in pursuit of a code 37 vehicle, and she proceeded to ask the unit where he was located, then the radio went silent, and dispatch came back on and said "units responding, (x) is located at, so and so. Then she came back on and said, suspect on foot heading towards so and so.

My question is, why couldn't I hear that unit's response when I thought I had all harbor frequencies programmed? At the time I was monitoring Harbor Dispatch, simplex, tac 1 -38 and tac 2-39, the communicating officer was on none of those channels. Is there another channel I should be monitoring as well? Does anyone have a detailed p96 file with lapd harbor division frequencies that I can use to compare? I have programed all of the ones in the database here but im still at a loss. Thank You

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Don't forget like in the old days sometimes the same RTO is working more than one frequency. This seems to happen most often in the in the evening. For instance here on the Westside, I sometimes hear Pacific tied in with Wilshire as it was many moons ago when they shared the same frequency.

An easy way to catch the full traffic if you wanted to follow the code-37 call is to switch over to the base division frequency for the unit involved.

Radio_Lady

Don't forget like in the old days sometimes the same RTO is working more than one frequency. This seems to happen most often in the in the evening. For instance here on the Westside, I sometimes hear Pacific tied in with Wilshire as it was many moons ago when they shared the same frequency.

An easy way to catch the full traffic if you wanted to follow the code-37 call is to switch over to the base division frequency for the unit involved.
The dispatch software will automatically select a pre-determined group of frequencies depending on the division and type of incident as soon as the RTO enters that it's a pursuit or whatever type of incident. Generally they include Air/K9, all divisions adjacent to the division of occurrence, and the traffic division for the bureau. She/he can add other frequencies as appropriate. And if some of those divisions are tied, it can end up being quite a large group of frequencies.

The pursuing unit will only be heard on their own frequency, since this isn't a patch of the uplink, but rather a multi-select of RTO transmit frequencies. There can be a pursuit by a unit several divisions away from Harbor that will thus be broadcast by the RTO on Harbor's frequency. I've never looked at the list, but Harbor is probably the least often "multi-selected" division, since it's all by itself, and contiguous only to Southeast Div for about a half mile at the 91/110 freeways interchange. Every other division in the city is bounded by three or four or more others.

Your suggestion is a good one, LAflyer, to bring up the pursuing unit's home frequency, but keep an ear on the conversation in case they've been moved off their division frequency to a tac frequency. That's seldom done though, as the officers are busy enough watching the suspect and careening through traffic to start messing with their radio too.

Last edited:

GrandpaFrank

I understand now, thank you. So basically, it's a matter of broadening my monitored frequencies and not be stuck to just harbor dispatch. By the way, to any dispatch personnel who may be reading this, I applaud you. You always seem to hold your composure with even the worst of calls. Sometimes it amazes me that all of this is going on all around us even though it may be quiet on our street.

Status
Not open for further replies.