lapd unit numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic9351301

Banned
hey guys:

coming out for a vac just wondering if anyone has or knows of a good list of lapd unit numbers

kinda currious about metro units what there ids are i think swat are d units is this city wide or what thainks for the help

spock00

Not sure if this is all up to date but

See here: LAPD Radio Codes from Department Manual Volume - 4 Section 105-120.80
Here: http://tac2.8m.com/resources/unitinfo.html

&

From wikipedia:

Radio cars
From the perspective of control, each unit is represented by an LAPD-specific callsign. Typically, a callsign is made up of three elements: the division number, the unit type and the "beat" number. For example, division 1 is Central Division (or, now, "Central Area"), an "A" is patrol unit with two officers and their beat number can be a number like 12. Such a unit would identify themselves as 1-A-12 (or 1-Adam-12, using the LAPD phonetic alphabet). There are several patrol types:
A: two officer patrol unit
D: Special Weapons & Tactics, (SWAT)
E: Ticket writing car
L: One Officer unit. ( "X" or "T" units shall use the letter "L" following the regular service letter when applicable.):traffic supervisor, TL units usually carry the rank of Sergeant)
M: motorcycle unit (MQ: motorcycle on special assignment, MQ: DUI enforcement)
C or "cycle": bicycle unit
CP: Command Post
FB: foot beat (foot patrol)
T: traffic investigator
TL: a traffic single officer car or field supervisor (a Sergeant in a Traffic Division)
SLO: Senior Lead Officer
G: Gang enforcement unit
J: Juvenile Investigator
N: Narcotics
R: Metro Unit
W: Detective
U: Report-taking Unit (nicknamed "U-boats")
V: Vice
OP: Observation Post (normally, a small bus operating as a mobile command unit for major incidents)
Q: Special detail (Not to be assigned radio calls. Works on a specific crime mission)
X: extra patrol
Z: Special detail (Not to be assigned radio calls. Works on a specific crime mission)
The immediate supervisor of any patrol officer is called a Field Supervisor, which typically have beats that end in zero beginning from 2 through 7 (for example, 7-L-60 for a Wilshire Area supervisor). The Watch Commander is a lieutenant or Sergeant-2 at the police station for its geographic division. Their radio code always ends in L-10 (e.g., the watch commander at division 6 or Hollywood Area station is always 6-L-10). The Watch Commander is responsible for the geographic area (e.g. "Southwest Area") and reports to the Area station Captain.

hey guys:

coming out for a vac just wondering if anyone has or knows of a good list of lapd unit numbers

kinda currious about metro units what there ids are i think swat are d units is this city wide or what thainks for the help

Last edited:

Radio_Lady

Both of those are somewhat out of date. Patrol unit numbering seldom changes from year to year, or decade to decade, so they're pretty accurate on both, with Harry Marnell's page being just a little more accurate.

The "tac2.8m.com" page needs to have Patrol Areas 19-Mission, 20-Olympic, and 21-Topanga added. Also,
  • C - Parking Enforcement units were transferred to DOT and the City EDACS system about 1985
  • CRASH was disbanded in the 1990s
  • H is incorrect and are generally SID units; Div Homicide are among each division's "W" units
  • TL is a one-officer Collision Investigion unit; the Traffic supervisors are 24T30, 25T20, etc
  • Z are Special Detail patrol units, but not necessarily reserve officers
Citywide, administrative and specialized divisions are constantly being renumbered as the organization chart gets redrawn.

Trying to keep up with the changes is like nailing cliches to the wall.
:roll:

Last edited:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

spock00

What about "cycle" units? I hear them often on Valley Traffic.

Both of those are somewhat out of date. Patrol unit numbering seldom changes from year to year, or decade to decade, so they're pretty accurate on both, with Harry Marnell's page being just a little more accurate.

The "tac2.8m.com" page needs to have Patrol Areas 19-Mission, 20-Olympic, and 21-Topanga added. Also,
  • C - Parking Enforcement units were transferred to DOT and the City EDACS system about 1985
  • CRASH was disbanded in the 1990s
  • H is incorrect and are generally SID units; Div Homicide are among each division's "W" units
  • TL is a one-officer Collision Investigion unit; the Traffic supervisors are 24T30, 25T20, etc
  • Z are Special Detail patrol units, but not necessarily reserve officers
Citywide, administrative and specialized divisions are constantly being renumbered as the organization chart gets redrawn.

Trying to keep up with the changes is like nailing cliches to the wall.
:roll:

spock00

"Cycle" units are Bicycle Patrol officers, and I've included that on my updated list at Unit Designations, including a link there to LAPD's webpage describing their history and duties.

I used to see them on bikes going around my area NoHo regularly on the weekends. I haven't seen them in a while. I wonder why... There are still lots of armed robberies, purse snatches, etc on the streets. I can't believe the amount of those types of crimes on a daily basis just in this division.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Over time off

I used to see them on bikes going around my area NoHo regularly on the weekends. I haven't seen them in a while. I wonder why... .
Part of it may be deployment issues since there is virtually no overtime $ to pay the officers for extra hours worked - they have no choice but to take the time off (at time and ½). F'r instance, a PM watch officer spends two days in court and could normally take the 16+8 hours in pay, but now he's got to take it as 24 hours off work. So he 's sitting at home and "missing" from the streets for two or three days. Multiple that by hundreds of coppers, and they have a lot fewer people to put out on patrol. First priority has to be chasing the radio, so "special" details can be the first to be cut back. But that's going way off-topic, and I don't want to start a political thread on here :)

spock00

Yeah I figured that might be it. I have heard officers ask how many units are in the area during high profile incidents and voice frustration at the lack of officers on the street. One thing I found strange was when dogs were brought in from Beverly Hills PD to find a burglary suspect in NoHo. They were on Valley Tac.

Part of it may be deployment issues since there is virtually no overtime $ to pay the officers for extra hours worked - they have no choice but to take the time off (at time and ½). F'r instance, a PM watch officer spends two days in court and could normally take the 16+8 hours in pay, but now he's got to take it as 24 hours off work. So he 's sitting at home and "missing" from the streets for two or three days. Multiple that by hundreds of coppers, and they have a lot fewer people to put out on patrol. First priority has to be chasing the radio, so "special" details can be the first to be cut back. But that's going way off-topic, and I don't want to start a political thread on here :)

Last edited:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I saw the headlines about BH PD being in NHwd for that, but my first thought was that it might have been a Beverly Hills crime or crimes that brought BH PD over the hill on a follow-up or a surveillance. It hadn't occurred to me that LAPD was that short of dogs (or cops). The good news is that they all could talk to each other on the radio - something that was literally impossible in "my day."

One thing I found strange was when dogs were brought in from Beverly Hills PD to find a burglary suspect in NoHo. They were on Valley Tac.

mrbekhor

Wait could you re explain the lapd payroll thing. I kinda understand but not entirely

mrbekhor

Actually never mind I figured it out. But how do normal weeks go for a officer in lapd now adays that work 3 12 hour shifts. And the one that work 4 10 hour shifts. And what about detectives how do they work and are callouts still done detectives? And for the officers how would a regular month be?

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Actually never mind I figured it out. But how do normal weeks go for a officer in lapd now adays that work 3 12 hour shifts. And the one that work 4 10 hour shifts. And what about detectives how do they work and are callouts still done detectives? And for the officers how would a regular month be?
There's at least one LAPD officer who posts on here from time to time, and he would have a more accurate and up-to-date answer for you, but I'll take a shot at it.

Pay and work schedules are all based on 4-week (28-day) "Deployment Periods," beginning on specified Sundays and ending on the Saturday four weeks later. Based on the traditional 40-hour week, that totals 160 working hours each DP.

For officers working the "3-12" shifts, each employee will generally be scheduled to work 13 days consisting of 12-hour shifts totaling 156 hours in each four-week DP. For timekeeping and pay purposes, each officer assigned to work the 12-hour plan is scheduled to use 4 hours of his/her holiday time each DP to reach the required 160 hours. I understand that the schedules will sometimes be changed to make one of the 12-hour shifts 8 hours, and instead of the holiday time, an officer will work another 8- hours shift to reach the 160.

Offficers assigned to the 3-12 shifts aren't supposed to be assigned to work more than four consecutive days, nor be assigned to less than two consecutive days off, unless requested by the employee and approved by their Watch Commander.

There are (or were) also 8- 9- and 10- hour shift schedules provided for, but I don't know how common they are or how they're arranged.

As far as most detectives, I believe their primary shifts are 10 hours, on either days or PMs. Day watch starting times are (were) flexibly-assigned, usually starting between 0600 and 0830 depending on projected needs; PM detectives usually started at 17:00, I believe. To cover the otherwise uncovered 0300-0600 hours and to help with commonly busy nighttime workloads, the bureau and citywide detective divisions were required to schedule enough personnel to cover 1800-0600 hours. That theoretically eliminated most call-outs, except for very specialized detectives like bomb squad and other unpredicatably needed people.

With all the budget stuff going on, I have no idea if all those provisions are still intact.

Last edited:

todd818

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

The list of Staff unit designations, even in the current version of the manual (more up to date than the one on the LAPD website) is still inaccurate. Many of the Bureaus and Sections no longer exist after Chief Beck's reorganization of the Department early last year (I.e. Info & Comm Systems Bureau is gone, as is Admin & Tech Services Bureau).

That Manual section is supposedly being updated now to reflect the current Offices, Bureaus, Sections etc. There are times now when a unit broadcasts on a Divisional Base frequency and we have no idea who it is, or how to track them down if we need to.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Well now THERE'S a big surprise! :roll: (And check your email, Todd). Thanks

The list of Staff unit designations, even in the current version of the manual (more up to date than the one on the LAPD website) is still inaccurate. Many of the Bureaus and Sections no longer exist after Chief Beck's reorganization of the Department early last year (I.e. Info & Comm Systems Bureau is gone, as is Admin & Tech Services Bureau).

That Manual section is supposedly being updated now to reflect the current Offices, Bureaus, Sections etc. There are times now when a unit broadcasts on a Divisional Base frequency and we have no idea who it is, or how to track them down if we need to.

mrbekhor

Hopefully they update the manual soon because ive heard units like 5k and 3k and units like that and i have no idea which units those are. Any idea where i could hear training division units or they use the radio rarely? also i hear alot a 6D unit being code6 in topanga area what could that unit be doing in topanga? I already know its emergency ops division. and ive heard 1pc units go code6 on sherman way in reseda. what could a police commision unit be doing?

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully they update the manual soon because ive heard units like 5k and 3k and units like that and i have no idea which units those are.

Never having worked at any of these divisions except for three months as a Student Worker at Commission Investigation Division in 1969, I'm loath to even guess at most of this. But that never stopped me before, so...
Any idea where I could hear training division units or they use the radio rarely?
The first place that comes to mind would be at the EVOC at Davis Training Center near the I-5/405 interchange, where they may well use radios in the cars during vehicle and tactical training. My guess would be that they use a simplex frequency for it.

also i hear alot a 6D unit being code6 in topanga area what could that unit be doing in topanga? I already know its emergency ops division.
EOD (or is it now EOB?) has a variety of seemingly disparate functions, and just a SWAG for this one - if the "6D" activity you've heard has particularly been since January 19, it may have involved investigating the apparently faked shooting of the LAUSD officer at El Camino High; either investigating what he did, or investigating/evaluating LAPD's response to the thing.

and ive heard 1pc units go code6 on sherman way in reseda. what could a police commision unit be doing?
The Police Commission and its 80 or so sworn and civilian personnel have all kinds of stuff that they oversee, investigate and regulate, from the Chief himself all the way down to tow truck operators, private patrol officers, taxi dancers, burglar alarm installations, and dozens of permits that the city has put in their lap over the years.

All that being said, keep in mind that units in other than patrol and traffic divisions are generally neither dispatched nor tracked by Communications Division. When they do come up on an RTO's frequency it's often just a one-time deal where they have some reason for wanting Comm Div to know where they are, but typically not what they're doing. They may be doing something or at a location where there's a possibility of things going sideways and they may need to call for help, and they want the operator to know where they are. Or occasionally they're right on top of a hot radio call, and they decide to assist, even though they've not been assigned. In the latter case they're supposed to radio in that they're "Code 6 in plainclothes" (assuming they are), so other responding officers are alerted to that.

As Todd818 sort of hinted at up the thread this morning, these units will sometimes forget to radio back in when they're clear from wherever they put themselves "out" at, and then Communications Div is required to track them down to verify that they're OK. There've been a few times when some of these guys would disappear from the radio and not be found until they were ID'd by their office and called at home... "Oh, sorry. But I could have sworn that I cleared."

Last edited:

mrbekhor

Thank you harry you always help alot with my questions. So the only question that i have still unanswered are the new 5k and etc units that are popping up on the radio and arent in the manual. Ill keep looking around. Thank you everyone

Radio_Lady

Thank you harry you always help alot with my questions. So the only question that i have still unanswered are the new 5k and etc units that are popping up on the radio and arent in the manual. Ill keep looking around. Thank you everyone
It will probably be a while until you find out for sure, since they are constantly changing the alphabet soup of unit designations other than the uniformed divisions. 5K was Narcotics Division for a long time, then it became Investigative Support units, who've been bounced back and forth between being called "Detectives" and "Investigators." And then it may be a year or more before they update the online version of the Department Manual, which isn't comprehensive anyway, and is but one of dozens of manuals LAPD has.

As with obscure and seldom-used codes, sometimes the only way to figure out a unit designation is if you hear it enough times with some context to their messages.

Here's the latest Ouija-Board they are playing on, the LAPD Organization Chart as of two weeks ago, and most every box has other (invisible) boxes inside it,
http://lapdonline.org/inside_the_lapd/pdf_view/5056

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.