Short Wave Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptah

I'm a newbie. As such, I need to learn more about the limited equipment that I have. I own a Drake SW-4A shortwave receiver. I've grounded the radio and connected a 75 foot long wire antenna between the upper area of my chimney and a tripod based holder on the roof of an outbuilding. The downlead is simply a insulated piece of copper wire that is fed into the house and into the back of the receiver.

I've been reading where I can use a BALUN 9 to 1, but also read about ' un-un '.

Can someone tell me the most effective way to match the receiver to my longwire antenna? Is there plans available? Do I even need to do it?

Please advise. Don't beat up on me as I did state that I am a ' newbie' I am open to any/all advice and comments as long as they are not offensive in nature.

Thanks in advance...

sw antenna

I have had a lot of difference radios over the years,
I simply use a 50ft. awg#12 long wire ant. on my now realistic dx390.
Works great and the ant.is slipped under the shingles along the top ridge of the roof of a single story house. A plus to it is that it is hiden and the neibhors dont complain about tvi.
Here, a stick in the air means you are messing with my tv, hard to tell folks it is a reciver and not a transmit ant.
good luck
DW
so. cal

apd3190

I have had a lot of difference radios over the years,
I simply use a 50ft. awg#12 long wire ant. on my now realistic dx390.
Works great and the ant.is slipped under the shingles along the top ridge of the roof of a single story house. A plus to it is that it is hiden and the neibhors dont complain about tvi.
Here, a stick in the air means you are messing with my tv, hard to tell folks it is a reciver and not a transmit ant.
good luck
DW
so. cal

How do you have the wire connected? Did you just connect to the existing antenna or use the 1/8 plug. I also have the dx 390 and looking for ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.