Adventures at Radio Shack...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
7PM today, in an Inland Empire Store...

Radio Shack guy: "Hi Welcome to Radio Shack. Can I help you?

Me: "Not really, I need a TNC male to SMA female antenna adapter for my router".

Radio Shack Guy: "Uhhhhh.. I don't know what that is"

Me: "Yeah, I knew you'd say that. It's probably over in those drawers that are full of things you keep wondering what they are for."

I Walk to the drawers, and look in the adapters, but can't find what I need...

Me: "I need to go to Fry's, I think."

Radio Shack Guy: "Soooo.. I see you have a Blackberry, interested in a cell phone upgrade?"

canav844

You're not the first, and I seriously doubt you'll be the last. I'm 150 mi from my nearest frys and unless I know RS stocks it, I go to Frys first, equally low on service, but at elast they stock more and will admit to not being able to help.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
They do not even know what barrel connectors are. I was asked, "Why would you want to put 2 pieces of coax together?"

Me thinks someone forgot all about that better mousetrap that Charles Tandy built.

Starman918

I am not sure why you even talked to the associate in the first place. He asked if he could help you and you said, "Not really." But you go ahead and ask for his help anyway. If you knew where the drawer with the parts in was located, why didn't you go over to the drawer and look for what you needed?

We all know the pros and cons of Radio Shack.

Respectfully,
Tom

ChrisW6YBW

No worse than buying a $3 cable and then being asked if i wanted to purchase the additional warranty, followed by an explanation of how great their warranty is and how much money it can save on repairs – heard as I was walking out the door. Then again, I was asked if I wanted the additional warranty at Office Depot on a PACKAGE OF COMPUTER PAPER!

NIckNerd

7PM today, in an Inland Empire Store...

Radio Shack guy: "Hi Welcome to Radio Shack. Can I help you?

Me: "Not really, I need a TNC male to SMA female antenna adapter for my router".

Radio Shack Guy: "Uhhhhh.. I don't know what that is"

Me: "Yeah, I knew you'd say that. It's probably over in those drawers that are full of things you keep wondering what they are for."

I Walk to the drawers, and look in the adapters, but can't find what I need...

Me: "I need to go to Fry's, I think."

Radio Shack Guy: "Soooo.. I see you have a Blackberry, interested in a cell phone upgrade?"
I know this forum is 7 months old but I stumbled upon it and have to say something. I am the son of a ham radio operator and have been around amateur radio all of my life - I know what great guys most ham guys are from meeting my dad's friends and listening to him talk to people in cool, far away places. I also worked at radioshack for 2 years. Let me give you a background to the employee that you're dealing with.

I'm sure you're a decent human being who has compassion, but for you it's expected that someone who works at radioshack should know, you know, a little about radios (I understand where you're coming from) well here's the other half of the story.

The employee you're talking about is probably making minimum wage, even when I made good commission I was usually only 1.50 to 2 dollars per hour above minimum wage and I was the #1 salesman for the district several times. He also didn't study electronic engineering or RF theory in college. So this guy gets paid the same amount as someone who cooks french fries or holds those spiny signs by the road.

The training he actually was provided is a series of good classes that teach you all about things from speaker wire to cell phones to bnc connectors to fuses to all the other electronic components, except those classes are so rushed with impossible deadlines that he can't retain nor is he encouraged to actually learn anything. (Imagine trying to cram a semester of basic electronics into a few hours here and there for a week in which you are encouraged by your manager to cheat your way through because you're still responsible for helping customers, answering the phone, unloading and inventorying shipments, breaking down boxes, throwing out garbage, cleaning the bathroom, and passing those tests within a couple of days). Also imagine that in addition to a semester of electronics classes, you also have to learn about all those other products in the store, which for someone new, is a lot.

(Quick side note: Fry's guys are all compartmentalized and don't need to learn about everything like we do, nor can we treat someone like **** and hide like they can, there are only 5 or 6 of us that work there: apples and oranges).

Now imagine that he gets yelled at by people every single day who are upset about their phone, being called names, cursed at, and all the other stuff people do when they're frustrated because they went over their minutes and now expect you to fix everything. Imagine that despite not know a lot, he gives it his best and goes out of his way to help customers, even calling his dad, the avionics technician, to get his advice.

Imagine that in addition to the cell phone customers, he's on edge because all of the experienced employees were fired for minor offenses like returning a cell phone without crossing their t's or dotting their i's or perhaps they were conned into accepting a bad check, either way that company is notorious for making examples and treating it's employees poorly (see the article about the mass firing of corporate employees via email) This results in a high turnover rate, hence the inexperienced guy in front of you who, I know it's hard to believe, sincerely wants to help you.

NOW, imagine that he's trying so hard to help everyone with a wide gambit of problems and despite his best efforts, he's still getting yelled at by the cell phone people and the other a-holes and then in walks the amateur radio guy! The amateur radio guy who gets his kicks by being condescending, patronizing, and generally a real butthead towards this employee who's getting **** on left and right from customers, bosses, and not getting paid much.

What have we done to deserve your scorn? We work hard, most of us at least, and we sincerely try to help you. Yes we push cell phones and other things as part of a sales pitch and try to get you to buy batteries because not only will it give me enough money to buy a beer after work to relax after getting berated all day, but also because I will get fired if I don't offer you a cell phone and my boss is going to terminate my employment if I don't do my sales pitch to everyone.

Next time you walk into a radioshack, please think about the poor guy who's going through all of this and feels stupid enough already without you piling it on him.

judas12

I know this forum is 7 months old but I stumbled upon it and have to say something. I am the son of a ham radio operator and have been around amateur radio all of my life - I know what great guys most ham guys are from meeting my dad's friends and listening to him talk to people in cool, far away places. I also worked at radioshack for 2 years. Let me give you a background to the employee that you're dealing with.

I'm sure you're a decent human being who has compassion, but for you it's expected that someone who works at radioshack should know, you know, a little about radios (I understand where you're coming from) well here's the other half of the story.

The employee you're talking about is probably making minimum wage, even when I made good commission I was usually only 1.50 to 2 dollars per hour above minimum wage and I was the #1 salesman for the district several times. He also didn't study electronic engineering or RF theory in college. So this guy gets paid the same amount as someone who cooks french fries or holds those spiny signs by the road.

The training he actually was provided is a series of good classes that teach you all about things from speaker wire to cell phones to bnc connectors to fuses to all the other electronic components, except those classes are so rushed with impossible deadlines that he can't retain nor is he encouraged to actually learn anything. (Imagine trying to cram a semester of basic electronics into a few hours here and there for a week in which you are encouraged by your manager to cheat your way through because you're still responsible for helping customers, answering the phone, unloading and inventorying shipments, breaking down boxes, throwing out garbage, cleaning the bathroom, and passing those tests within a couple of days). Also imagine that in addition to a semester of electronics classes, you also have to learn about all those other products in the store, which for someone new, is a lot.

(Quick side note: Fry's guys are all compartmentalized and don't need to learn about everything like we do, nor can we treat someone like **** and hide like they can, there are only 5 or 6 of us that work there: apples and oranges).

Now imagine that he gets yelled at by people every single day who are upset about their phone, being called names, cursed at, and all the other stuff people do when they're frustrated because they went over their minutes and now expect you to fix everything. Imagine that despite not know a lot, he gives it his best and goes out of his way to help customers, even calling his dad, the avionics technician, to get his advice.

Imagine that in addition to the cell phone customers, he's on edge because all of the experienced employees were fired for minor offenses like returning a cell phone without crossing their t's or dotting their i's or perhaps they were conned into accepting a bad check, either way that company is notorious for making examples and treating it's employees poorly (see the article about the mass firing of corporate employees via email) This results in a high turnover rate, hence the inexperienced guy in front of you who, I know it's hard to believe, sincerely wants to help you.

NOW, imagine that he's trying so hard to help everyone with a wide gambit of problems and despite his best efforts, he's still getting yelled at by the cell phone people and the other a-holes and then in walks the amateur radio guy! The amateur radio guy who gets his kicks by being condescending, patronizing, and generally a real butthead towards this employee who's getting **** on left and right from customers, bosses, and not getting paid much.

What have we done to deserve your scorn? We work hard, most of us at least, and we sincerely try to help you. Yes we push cell phones and other things as part of a sales pitch and try to get you to buy batteries because not only will it give me enough money to buy a beer after work to relax after getting berated all day, but also because I will get fired if I don't offer you a cell phone and my boss is going to terminate my employment if I don't do my sales pitch to everyone.

Next time you walk into a radioshack, please think about the poor guy who's going through all of this and feels stupid enough already without you piling it on him.

Wow, first the dream act and now equal rights for radio shack employees. Whats this world coming too?

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I shop at Fry's because they have what I need - the sales people there are more clueless than the newest person at RS.

Sorry, I don't much care about what "validation" your associates might need for "trying hard". I *really* don't care if you're having a bad day,
or your wife left you, or your mother is getting paroled today. I am certainly not one of those snotty "the customer is always right" kind of people, but if I walk into what has always been an ELECTRONICS store, I think I can rightfully expect someone in that store to know something other than the current specials Sprint is having if I sign a new contract "today only".

If you don't know, just say you don't know and leave it at that. If I WANTED a cell phone, I would ASK for one :)

The fact is, your company doesn't want me as a customer, because they rightfully know that investing in finding or training people who know anything about a dying group of hobbies will not earn the shareholders any money. My small contributions to your DSR make no difference at all on the balance sheet.

Last edited:

NIckNerd

Was it every decent?

The point of the response wasn't that I need validation, it was that you shouldn't put all of the blame on the employee in front of you, he's just trying to save money and not get fired. Sometimes people forget he's a human being, not a borg-extension of radioshack who shuts down at night and reactivates in the morning. I was trying to give you background so that you might understand why this guy seems so ate up.

I know it's frustrating going there and dealing with this, like someone going to buy a car from a car salesman who doesn't know a lot about cars. I'm only 29 so I haven't been around as long as radioshack but was there a time in the company's past when you had truly knowledgeable people in the store who could help you in the way you feel you deserve to be helped?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

RS pushes phone sales on the employees overtly, and as part of a "carrot and stick" system.

The company makes money by bringing in, or renewing, cell customers. The employees are given an appreciable financial reward for moving phones. So what do you think
employees are going to pay atteb

Confuzzled

Most of the RS cash register jockeys I've run into would be better off at Pizza Hut. I'm like the guy above ... they ask if they can help, I just walk past them and go get what I want. The only time I have to engage them otherwise is when they move the stock around to make room for the Christmas load of toys and other drivel. Me: "Where did you move the resistors and LEDs?: Clerk: "The what? I don't think we stock anything like that"

TV antennas, masts and mounting brackets that used to be prominently displayed are now relegated to a top shelf in the back room like some kind of contraband. Gotta make room for acres of pre-paid cell phone cards that I can get at any other store.

Radio Shack has CLEARLY lost touch with the first word of their name. Now that I think of it, wasn't there a move on at one time to rename the chain "The Shack" or something like that?

Side hint for RS shoppers; check the website before you go and get the stock number of the item you want. Most things are hung on the racks in numerical order, or at least grouped by stock number. If you can't find it, at least the clerk can enter that in their system to find it easier than "SMA to TNC adapter".

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned

The fact is, we should all try to be polite to the hired help, whether or not they're an expert on whatever we went to the store for. They're human, they deserve to be treated nicely.

But I avoid Radio Shack whenever possible for two reasons:

1. They seldom have what I need anymore.
2. When they DO have it, it's such poor quality that I end up sorry I bought it there.

It has nothing to do with the employees lack of knowledge, that's just a minor annoyance.

SCPD

QRT
This discussion about Radio Shack is similar to other businesses where customer service has declined as well. When Home Depot stores first opened there were a lot of people who knew a lot about their product line. They undersold local mom and pop hardware stores where there was almost always someone that knew more than you needed to know. Now Home Depot stores have a lot of people who don't know very much, in many cases less than the customer. I'm not talking about the people who teach the Saturday morning classes, but the average floor sales employees. Having not taken one of the classes I guess I really should not say this.

The trouble with this situation is that I can't go back to the mom and pop's to get my question answered and be taken to the location where the product is. I've had a couple of run ins with Home Depot people when they tried to sell me something for $70 in substitute for a product the mom and pop's sold for $15. When I'm in the city I try to find out where the mom and pop's are and give them my business. Often getting on a local ham repeater leads me to those stores. I live in an area where the only hardware stores are mom and pop's, with the exception of one small chain store in Mammoth. The eastern Sierra region of Inyo and Mono Counties has shown that it is poor politics to invite large corporations in. The three that we have already (Vons/Safeway, K-Mart and Rite Aid) are disliked enough to ensure that.

Companies of all types are investing less and less in employees. They are less willing to train and grow employees. They are treating them poorly and figure they can get away with it considering the oversupply of labor and under supply of jobs. If an employee doesn't fit their mold, rather than take the time to help that person, they just fire them and take a crap shoot that the next one does.

Corporations are not just trying to make a decent profit, they are trying to maximize the most profit in the shortest amount of time and their perspective of each is a very small percentage in numbers one or more places right of the decimal point and time frames less than the current or next quarter. This seems to have replaced pride in having a good, solid business with a widely favorable reputation. Short term gain at expense of long term performance throughout history has always failed. This is some of the impetus behind the so called "Occupy Wall Street" movement.

So don't just rag on Radio Shack, look around for an additional target. They aren't difficult to hit.

dsnymj

Premium Subscriber
Was there ever a time?

I'm only 29 so I haven't been around as long as radioshack but was there a time in the company's past when you had truly knowledgeable people in the store who could help you in the way you feel you deserve to be helped?

As with many others, I'll head to Fry's before Radio Shack these days: I actually prefer to be ignored by the employees there rather than be pestered with "May I help you?" when you're just browsing or actually know more about their product lines than they do. Radio Shack isn't highest on my "pest factor" list - Best Buy is several notches higher, often offering "assistance" 6 or 7 times in a single visit - but it is far from the bottom.

There was a time - late 1970s through early 1980s - when the particular Radio Shack store I frequented was staffed with amateur radio operators, scanner heads, and people who actually knew what the difference between a capacitor and a resistor was. There was actually an element of "Radio" in most of the front-line employees, even if it was limited to knowledge about the "hi-fi" equipment they sold, so my answer to your question would have to be, "Yes, there was a time when asking for help in a Radio Shack store was likely to yield positive results."

This is not to say that the current Radio Shack staff is unable to assist with locating a particular item of interest by stock number, but I wouldn't count on them to know the difference between a BNC connector and a PL-259 connector without reading the words from the package. The same inability might apply at Fry's, but my expectations of employee product knowledge are much lower for someone working in a warehouse-sized store vs. one the size of the living room in a open-plan house. It seems to me that a Radio Shack employee would learn a fair amount about the products they sell merely by acting as stock person, sales person, and cashier, all rolled into one, even if they weren't formally trained.

SCPD

QRT
I would like to clarify a couple of things in my last post. First, I can't find mom and pop hardware stores anymore because Home Depots and Lowe's put them out of business. Maybe this doesn't have to be clarified as the story is so well known and pervasive that it would seem as if someone has to have lived under a rock to not know of the issue.

Second, the politics of Inyo/Mono should be explained in regard to the issue I raised. A great number of people in this region do not like large corporation businesses. For a politician to suggest a Walmart come into the area would be political suicide. People here like their mom and pop's and would like to have their downtowns survive. The experiences of other small communities is not lost here. Of course there are people who disagree with this view, however, this anti-corporate view is heard from customers in the mom and pop's. Some who disagree find shopping to be a recreational activity.

Lastly I left out some corporate outlets in the region. There is a J.C. Penny and a small Sears outlet in Bishop. In a move that could only come from a corporation the K. Mart is attempting to drive the Sears out of business. K. Mart buys Sears and then tries to drive the pre-existing Sears out of business?

In Mammoth there is a Ben and Jerry's ice cream store. I went in there once but was turned off by the $12.75 double scoop ice cream cone situation I found. There is also a Westin Hotel. Some people who come to town seem to like it, although I when I travel I like to get away from the big chains. To each his own as those folks seem to have a lot of fun here and that is the name of the game and the largest portion of the region's economy. We also have McDonalds, Carls, a Holiday Inn Express between in Bishop and Mammoth. As for McDonalds they are proving that the consistent mediocrity business model works almost everywhere, rural or urban.

dsnymj, I don't know how we can expect someone in a store that has less square footage to be more knowledgeable or more dedicated. Both probably pay minimum wage and what do we expect to get with that?

Finally, the $15 item I went into Home Depot to buy was a hand drill. I hadn't brought one with me to the big city and needed to drill a few holes in a plaster wall (not drywall, real plaster) and could not find one. The Home Depot employee told me no one would buy such an item as electic screwdrivers were available that were better. He failed to mention the $40 drill chuck adapter that would be needed. He also asked why I could not just punch a hole in the drywall to put a wall anchor in. When I mentioned this would put a spider crack in the wall as it was plaster, he indicated that he didn't know what a real plaster interior wall was. So I drove a few more miles and found a mom and pop who had a choice of three hand drillsl.

Last edited:

Progline

Premium Subscriber
Why would K-Mart try to run Sears out of town? Sears owns K-Mart.:confused:

I've been to Ham Radio Stores that seem to know little about scanners, either, FWIW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.