Los Angeles School Police Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbekhor

How do laspd radios work. The Campus police officers listen to lapd local division, there dispatch channel, and the school frequency where they are stationed at. how can they listen to all that and be able to talk just on school police dispatch. or for example if they say monroe base to monroe 1 which means the school is calling the school police officer assigned to the high school how does he click his mic and just talk to them? is there a button he/she presses?

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
They carry two radios...a school radio (specific to the campus) and also their LASPD radio. They don't monitor the LAPD channel, unless they are in their car, and can monitor two radios at once. They monitor LASPD dispatch (453.4 or 453.8), which is their expensive Motorola radio. The school/campus radios are generally inexpensive 2 channel Kenwoods.

mrbekhor

Not to sound mean but are you sure. Im a high school student. And my mother works for lausd for many years and i have helped behind the scenes many times so i know alot of things but i have never seen school police with two radios. and i asked about lapd on school police radio because i listen to school police when im absent from school and sometimes i hear them say that on lapd frequency they heard a call in the area of the school so they are enroute.

mrbekhor

Ok then. Thank You very much. Could you ask him about School police unit id's and designation?

scma127

Premium Subscriber
lausd police use both freqs during the day 453.800 south of mulhulland and 453.400 west la to the valley duroing the night the use only 453.800 unless the there a major incident the they use 453.400 and for as campus police officer they have 2 designated simplex freqs district wide i work for lausd and have freinds with school police few year back they use to be on the same freqs as school buses

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
I will get clarification on the unit numbering. For now, the first number is the "local district" that they are assigned to (i.e. Sun Valley is in Local District 2, so the units in that area are 2-x-xx). The J units are patrol, and I will get the other identifiers.

Radio_Lady

For as long as I can remember, at least 25 years, LAUSD has had two-watt portables on 457.525 simplex for on-campus use, mainly for security but not restricted by their license for that purpose. Just who it is that's been assigned those radios at different times (campus security, staff, faculty assigned to yard duty?) I don't know. They've been licensed for 2000 of those portables, and currently have an FCC application pending to increase that number to 10,000 portables. Obviously far more than their number of sworn and non-sworn security personnel by orders of magnitude. They also have 11,000 portables licensed on 457.5375.

On 452/457.075 they have 20 mobiles and 1 repeater controlled from their HQ at 333 S Beaudry.

In addition to their already discussed district-wide 453.800 repeater system, which they have also had for decades (and are currently awaiting FCC approval to increase from 600 to 1000 mobiles), and the relatively newer 453.400, I just discovered that LAUSD also has had a simplex/duplex capable system licensed on 464/469.250 since 2005. I don't know what it's for, since I've never listened to it. Just two weeks ago, on 4/26/11, they received FCC authorization to increase their number of (110-watt) mobiles from 350 to 600 radios. Buses maybe? Or their legions of "administrators"?

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Don't forget some individual schools also hold licences.

For instance Hollywood High School has WQLP966 and licensed on 451.2375, 451.6375, 452.4875, 452.6875, 452.8375, 452.9875 all simplex.
Its not that easy to find them as they are licensed individually, but I've seen 3-4 schools with their own stuff so far.

I'm not sure what 464.25 is for, however I did once hear some reference a maintenance frequency so it could be that. I do sometimes see LAUSD trucks/vans drive around with what looks like plumbers etc.. The bus ops are on the 800Mhz system.

Also if anyone is interested here is a map of LAUSD. Its broken down into 3 regions (north/central/south) and 8 local districts.
http://mo.laschools.org/fis/existin...m-and-o-content/view/maps/local-districts.pdf

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Fishing around I've found several more LAUSD licences. Usage unknown.

151.685 - KAV316 - 110W Fixed base in San Pedro. Address is a LA City Occupational Center
151.775 - KZD675 - 110W fixed base in downtown - Address is a LA City Bldg on Olive Street.
462.150 - WPKY742 - 25W Repeater at control point of LAUSD HQ in downtown.
464.175 - WPKY742 - 50W Repeater on Mt Wilson.
464.425 - WPOC237 - 100W Repeater at LAUSD HQ in downtown
464.875 - WPOC237 - 100W Repeater at LAUSD HQ in downtown

464.500, 464.550, 469.500, 469.550, 462.150, 463.5125, 469.4875, 469.5875 - WPKY742 all authorized as 4W mobile.

I suspect the above simplex licences would all be fair game for on campus usage.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Someone just emailed me to inform that 464.425 DPL047 is a repeater at their downtown HQ building and used by facility security there.

I'll get it listed in the DB.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
"the Joy of... Scanning"

You guys (and lady) are good! Here we have a relatively low-profile entity, a school district, that probably the vast majority of scanner listeners seldom if ever give a thought to monitoring unless some big incident erupts.

Then you start digging into official and unofficial databases, your own personal records, asking around, listening in, searching the net for obscure documents, and quickly we're on the way to developing a pretty darn good profile of LAUSD's disparate radio systems and operations.

As has been said before, this is probably the kind of system that once it's "fleshed out" most of us won't even bother to plug into our scanners. BUT, should the need/interest arise, you've compiled yet another new resource for anyone to access and use. Or RR users who work for LAUSD or have kids in the schools may have been searching for this stuff for a long time but always come up with their hands full of empty.

This kind of chase has long been one of my favorite aspects of the hobby. Find somethng obscure and track it down just for the satisfaction of accomplishing it, and then file it away and almost forget it. But now, with the forums and especially the RR databases, it'll be right there for the looking. To paraphrase the old expression, we'll have "all our poop in a group" when the time comes that we need LA Schools' radio info right now. (Is someone going to submit the new stuff to the DB once it's been fairly well verified?)

Kudos, all. But don't stop now. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.