New CHP 700 Mhz on the Grapevine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
I was at the bottom of the Grapevine today and a CHP officer in the same line as I was had a new EF Johnson extender handheld. It said TOURQUOISE on the display. I assume this is one of the new 700 Mhz radios. Does anybody know what frequency that would be on for the Fort Tejon/Grapevine area?

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I was at the bottom of the Grapevine today and a CHP officer in the same line as I was had a new EF Johnson extender handheld. It said TOURQUOISE on the display. I assume this is one of the new 700 Mhz radios. Does anybody know what frequency that would be on for the Fort Tejon/Grapevine area?
If you mean what 700 MHz frequency it is, I have no idea. Central Div hasn't been changed over yet, of course, and Ft. Tejon and Buttonwillow are still on the old Turq, 42.60/42.02 (with a very nice signal out into the San Jac Valley). Turquoise-2 was supposed to gonna be 45.18/42.74 when they eventually change out.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
To clarify: Yes, I am looking at what 700-800Mhz frequency that EF Johnson radio would be set to for that area...not the low band mobile/base radio or the 154.905 mhz VHF extender... hopefully someone has the info...

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
In the absence of someone having a specific answer for you, I think there are only a certain number of potential VRS (Vehicular Repeater System) 700 MHz frequencies it could be. There's a much more specific thread from when Sacramento started using them, but you can see an example of how they're set up for Valley Division on the CHP page in the database. Then just scan the pool of VRS frequencies (from earlier threads in this forum) and find which freq/NAC matches for the Turquoise (Fort Tejon/Buttonwillow) in Central Division. Also keep in mind that the 700 MHz VRS radio channels replace the VHF mobile extender on 154.905 MHz.

PJaxx

In the absence of someone having a specific answer for you, I think there are only a certain number of potential VRS (Vehicular Repeater System) 700 MHz frequencies it could be. There's a much more specific thread from when Sacramento started using them, but you can see an example of how they're set up for Valley Division on the CHP page in the database. Then just scan the pool of VRS frequencies (from earlier threads in this forum) and find which freq/NAC matches for the Turquoise (Fort Tejon/Buttonwillow) in Central Division. Also keep in mind that the 700 MHz VRS radio channels replace the VHF mobile extender on 154.905 MHz.

Here is the thread for the Sacramento area VRS frquencies, including links to frequency lists, at least for Valley Division.
http://forums.radioreference.com/sa...cussion/190002-700mhz-p25-sacramento-chp.html

The way every division is now getting different frequencies for same-named (color) channels, it's anybody's guess whether the VRS frequencies will differ by division too. In that thread there is even speculation about the use of different VRS frequencies within a color, e.g. different VRS's for Valley Green for Grass Valley units vs for other Green offices' units.

As a matter of personal interest, do many people here routinely monitor the extenders? Or is most of the searching simply for the satisfaction that comes from finding and documenting new and unknown frequency usage? I haven't ever found them of much use, except or the questionably effective and always intermittent ability to know whether you're within range of a CHP unit. And what is the power output of the 700 extenders vis à vie the 154.905's? At least there shouldn't be much ducting on 700, much less any skip!

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Chp 101

The way every division is now getting different frequencies for same-named (color) channels
It's my understanding (but I am not sure) that different 700MHz frequencies (or perhaps tones) will link an officer to a different channel/radio in his/her auto.

As a matter of personal interest, do many people here routinely monitor the extenders?
CHP is #2 on my list of what I monitor. I have everything they use programmed. My normal scan mantra is to scan the base freq, then the mobile freq, then repeat that for all channels (in the division) I have enabled, then check the extender frequency. It amazes me how often I pick up on the extender something I am not picking up over a main frequency. I have very good reception and often pick up cars more clearly on their mobile freq than when they are repeated on the base freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.