not receiving return traffic - CHP W.LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

1150RT-P

Premium Subscriber
I'm relatively new to scanning - for some reason I cannot pickup return traffic when monitoring CHP. A dispatch call will go out, followed with [what i presume] an officer responding - this response is pure static.

The database says only program base frequencies, which is how I have it set up. I'm using a PSR 800 with Comtelco external antenna, outside vehicle.

Any help is much appreciated.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I am able to copy both sides of the transmission just fine on 44.620.

I'm not sure what type of calls you feel you missed, however its not unusual for CHP dispatch to broadcast informational only calls for all units info such as reported hazards or reported speeders/dangerous drivers without specific field unit needing to respond.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Also, if a dispatcher is handling more than one area, s/he may be operating on multiple channels ("multicast"), in which case you would not hear the other channel's units replying unless s/he patches the channels together.

1150RT-P

Premium Subscriber
I am able to copy both sides of the transmission just fine on 44.620.

I'm not sure what type of calls you feel you missed, however its not unusual for CHP dispatch to broadcast informational only calls for all units info such as reported hazards or reported speeders/dangerous drivers without specific field unit needing to respond.

It sounds like the officer's response to the dispatcher's radio traffic isn't being received by my scanner. I do not believe these are info only broadcasts. The reply is received at open static.

Thanks for the replies.

1150RT-P

Premium Subscriber
With all that being said - it seems like this morning I am picking up both sides of the transmission without issue. Maybe I jumped the gun with this post.

here in ventura we have the same problem.
as i understand, there are multiple base transmitters and recivers set up.
i am in the coast area, if a call goes out to say moorpark area, the chp base can change trans/rec location i may not be able to hear.
the same holds true for hearing your WLA sector, we hear some but when they switch we loose signal.
hope this is help
peace

1150RT-P

Premium Subscriber
I think I've figured out what I'm experiencing.

I *can* hear both sides of the transmission. It seems like their radios are set up with a 2 second 'open mic' delay after transmission. This gives me quite a bit of static after a communication. I don't necessarily mind this, but it makes monitoring less enjoyable.

There hasn't seemed to be enough radio traffic to try to fix the issue with squelch.

Status
Not open for further replies.