RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum > Greater Los Angeles & Inland Areas Discussion

Greater Los Angeles & Inland Areas Discussion - Local area specific discussion for Los Angeles and its outlying areas such as Ventura and Orange Counties, and the Inland Empire area.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Cool Riverside Co/ CalFire CDF/ West side / New commands

Hi all,
I just heard Perris dispatch send a engine to a call and use "Command 8" instead of Support 8. I remember a poster saying this would happen... looks like it already has. Are these Commands the CDF commands ? or are these the RVC commands ?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

RVC commands. Different from CDF.
The rest of the Supports will be converted over in 2013.
This should be seamless for the scanner listener. The benefit is that you will now be able to hear the units in the field regardless of their proximity to you.

Last edited by Markb; 12-22-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb View Post
This should be seamless for the scanner listener. The benefit is that you will now be able to hear the units in the field regardless of their proximity to you.
Thanks Mark,

Looks like it is already happening... RRU-1 & RRU-3 were patched this morning so I could not hear the field radios... but thanks for the clarification. I will enter them on my scanner and start monitoring them, How come they are dropping the Support channels ?
Old 12-22-2012, 1:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

AFAIK, it came about due to the availability of additional frequencies from the narrowbanding mandate.

The reason you couldn't hear field units on RRU-1 and 3 is because they are not simulcast. They are repeated, but the user selects which mountaintop he/she wants to talk through by selecting the PL tone for that site, just like CDF command channels. If you happened to be in range of the particular site they were talking thru, you'd hear them.
The RVC commands function the same way.
Old 12-23-2012, 8:10 PM

Quote:
This is unclear to me. What do you mean by the Supports being "converted?" Is this a change in name using the same frequencies? Also how will the listener be able to hear the field units no matter the location? Is there going to be a simulcast feature on the commands?
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2012, 8:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sorry. Should have been clearer. The existing Support Nets are simplex remote bases. The freq's that are being acquired will serve as inputs to make the Supports repeated.
What I should have said is that your chances of hearing the mobile and portable radios will be increased if you are in the coverage area of the repeater they are using in the same fashion as the CDF Commands and RRU dispatch Channels.
Currently, you'd have to be within line of sight of the transmitting radio.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=Markb;1878455]Sorry. Should have been clearer. The existing Support Nets are simplex remote bases. The freq's that are being acquired will serve as inputs to make the Supports repeated.
What I should have said is that your chances of hearing the mobile and portable radios will be increased if you are in the coverage area of the repeater they are using in the same fashion as the CDF Commands and RRU dispatch Channels.
Currently, you'd have to be within line of sight of the transmitting radio.[/

Hi Mark,
Do you know where support 12 repeater is ? Will this now be come a command soon? I hear west side using it already...
I lIke the idea of be a repeater. I can usually hear the units on support 12....however I hardly hear units on
support 10.
I can't seem to find the new commands freq. other than RVC cmd. 1&2. Are they the CDF commands freq.s ?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:52 PM

In case you aren't already aware of it, this site is a good source for Riverside County scanner info: ScanRiverside.com.

-Mike
Old 12-23-2012, 10:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Excellent information, thanks! Would anyone by chance know what the input frequencies will be for the support channels?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am not sure where Support 10 & 12 are located. I don't venture out to the desert unless I have to.
The only Command channels currently in use are 1,2 & 8.
The rest will follow and, as mentioned before, will be seamless to the scanner listener. If your text tag says "Support", just change it to "Command". No frequency changes needed.

Last edited by Markb; 12-23-2012 at 11:05 PM..
Old 12-24-2012, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanFanEd View Post
Excellent information, thanks! Would anyone by chance know what the input frequencies will be for the support channels?
They are simplex....
Old 12-24-2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:
I am not sure where Support 10 & 12 are located. I don't venture out to the desert unless I have to.
The only Command channels currently in use are 1,2 & 8.
The rest will follow and, as mentioned before, will be seamless to the scanner listener. If your text tag says "Support", just change it to "Command". No frequency changes needed.

Hi, Mark...what is rvc command 8 freq. ? Please...
Old 12-24-2012, 4:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Old 12-24-2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Mark, your awesome ! Great early Xmas present. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 4:39 PM

That is support 8 ... I thought it is different.
Old 12-24-2012, 5:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhetzel View Post
That is support 8 ... I thought it is different.
As Mark stated, the support freqs are simplex meaning you have to be close to a unit in order to hear that unit. The support channels are being converted to command channels that are on a repeater. If you are within range of the repeater, you will be able hear both the units and Perris. This is just like the dispatch channels. The new command channels will have the same freq. as the support channel. Support 8 is the same as RVC Command 8. The only thing that has changed for the scanner listener is the name change and being able to hear units from farther away.

The will be a RVC Command 3 next year with an unknown use. RVC Command 4 will be a Blythe command frequency. RVC Command 5-10, 12 will be the old corresponding support freqs.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Sorry. Should have been clearer. The existing Support Nets are simplex remote bases. The freq's that are being acquired will serve as inputs to make the Supports repeated.
Currently, you'd have to be within line of sight of the transmitting radio.
Thanks very much, it is now clear.