CHP Southern gets its first Ford Interceptor Utility Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
The West Valley Area received the first allotment of Ford Police Interceptor Utility Vehicle's in the Southern Division. They will be out on the roads very soon.

The Ford Police Interceptor Utility will replace the Ford Crown Victoria as the CHP's primary enforcement vehicle.

=

Attachments

• Interceptor.jpg
    Interceptor.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 16,725

quarterwave

My local PD went with Dodge Chargers, and are now saying that the maintenance and repairs, especially to the front end and suspension are costing them a fortune. I think theirs are 1+ and 2+ years old...2 batches. They want these Fords now. May be a ploy for new toys...who knows.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
LAPD also ordered 50 of the Ford Interceptor Utilities for the 2013-2014 budget year.

Starman918

Exeter police in Tulare County has just ordered 12 of them to replace their aging fleet. Their last "new" vehicles were used ones that they purchased from the Porterville Police Department.

Alot of small departments buy used cars from bigger ones my city purchased 2 crown vics for K9 units they have ton of miles that chp put on them. Isn't their some kind of law "or I can be wrong" public safety can't have to many miles on them till they have to get rid of them?

tjkruck

Hmmm a ford product...a company not bailed out by the govt being used for govt purposes and has been successful for decades..... Detroit bailout vehicle companies used for the past few years for govt purposes costing the govt more for repairs .....17 trillion dollar debt :thumbup::thumbup::

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

scottyhetzel

I wonder how they handle ? I can see these used for commercial detail or mountain use ....but for traffic ....seems silly when they could go with the sedan version. Now I got study new head lights again . Lol

TrevDog

From what I've heard, the SUV handles almost exactly the same as the sedan, and the performance doesn't change between the models. Essentially, the SUV is just the sedan with a larger interior.

From what I've heard.

ridgescan

I wonder how they handle ? I can see these used for commercial detail or mountain use ....but for traffic ....seems silly when they could go with the sedan version. Now I got study new head lights again . Lol
all wheel drive, and if you notice in OP's pic, considerably lowered suspension-uptuned suspension and all that it implies, makes for a sticky cornering projectile.
They have Ford's twin turboed Ecoboost v6 in there, which I wouldn't mind in an F150. I don't usually take interest in these but I do like this one. Being a substantial SUV, it gives good protection.

Radio_Lady

From what I've heard, the SUV handles almost exactly the same as the sedan, and the performance doesn't change between the models. Essentially, the SUV is just the sedan with a larger interior.

From what I've heard.
LAPD and LASD have been doing joint vehicle testing for a number of years, and they post their detailed findings annually. The 2013 vehicle results are at
www.lasdhq.org/sites/car-test/2013.pdf

CHP and I think it's Michigan State Police also do extensive testing, and many departments across the country use one or all of those test reports when selecting their new purchases.

scottyhetzel

LAPD and LASD have been doing joint vehicle testing for a number of years, and they post their detailed findings annually. The 2013 vehicle results are at
www.lasdhq.org/sites/car-test/2013.pdf

CHP and I think it's Michigan State Police also do extensive testing, and many departments across the country use one or all of those test reports when selecting their new purchases.

Great read...looks like the ford interceptor AWD 3.5 L ecoboost is an awesome machine....maintance looks difficult. Thanks for sharing...

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
We have two of the new model Explorers at work, not exactly the police version, but we probably carry more gear in ours than they ever will. They drive big, but great power. I had the opportunity to sit in one of Hermosa Beach's new PI's and it's definitely smaller than a CV. (I was in the front, not the back...) Not a lot of elbow room with the MDT in there and seemed like the dashboard when on for days.

Was just in Arizona a couple weeks ago, and DPS has seemed to have gone with the Chevy Tahoe as the follow on to the CV, as it was *ALL* I saw on the 10 between Phoenix and Tuscon and back. Saw 1 new PI in AZDPS markings.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
all wheel drive, and if you notice in OP's pic, considerably lowered suspension-uptuned suspension and all that it implies, makes for a sticky cornering projectile.
They have Ford's twin turboed Ecoboost v6 in there, which I wouldn't mind in an F150. I don't usually take interest in these but I do like this one. Being a substantial SUV, it gives good protection.

I've got a 4x4 F150, crew cab with the longer bed, so it's a heavy truck. It has the V6 Ecoboost engine in it and its a screamer. Putting it in a smaller vehicle has got to result in pretty impressive power.

They just got all "new" Crown Victorias at work, 6 of them. So it'll be a while before I see any of these. Hopefully the county guys will get some soon.

I guess I need to watch for these. If they are in SoCal, no doubt they'll be coming up north in the near future.

bear780ks

Cool Looking (( Our city went with the Chevy Tahoe Interceptor the County went with the Fords i talked to one of our PD Sargent's and he said the Tahoe's are doing way better than the Vic's on Gas and they handle like a dream compared to the Vic's). The city runs them 24 / 7 except for Maintenance..

I get a couple Pictures of our PD and S.O if they allow La Flyer I'll post in the Kansas Section but again on the CH-P ford Interceptor Wow way Cool.. Ra

ridgescan

I've got a 4x4 F150, crew cab with the longer bed, so it's a heavy truck. It has the V6 Ecoboost engine in it and its a screamer. Putting it in a smaller vehicle has got to result in pretty impressive power.

They just got all "new" Crown Victorias at work, 6 of them. So it'll be a while before I see any of these. Hopefully the county guys will get some soon.

I guess I need to watch for these. If they are in SoCal, no doubt they'll be coming up north in the near future.
Sorry I missed your reply here just saw it. Do ya love that truck or what? How's the engine sound? I haven't been around one yet. 365 horsepower to me is more than enough for anything even though your truck weighs about 4600lbs by itself. Hey that's only 600lbs more than my Tacoma and I only have 210hp and it moves with some authority when I want it to.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sorry I missed your reply here just saw it. Do ya love that truck or what? How's the engine sound? I haven't been around one yet. 365 horsepower to me is more than enough for anything even though your truck weighs about 4600lbs by itself. Hey that's only 600lbs more than my Tacoma and I only have 210hp and it moves with some authority when I want it to.

I love it, glad I went with that engine. I had a 1997 Ford F250 with the 7.3 Diesel and it was a strong engine, 250hp and 425lb/ft. This little 6 cylinder pulls just as strong, has more HP and more torque. It sounds like a lightweight when it's idling, and you can hear the sounds of direct injection (sounds like a really quite Diesel). Romp on the go pedal and it's all smiles. Fuel economy has been good, 22mpg on the highway, 17 or so around town. That's only a 1mpg less than my old GMC Canyon, which had the same displacement (3.5l) as the EcoBoost and a manual tranny. Much more power, though.

I can only imagine that in something like this CHP vehicle, it's gotta do pretty well.

I was always a "more displacement" guy, at least until I drove this truck.

ridgescan

sorry for the OT to OP-but yeah on topic, I imagine they didn't need to "uptune" that twin turbo much if at all to give what they need in pursuit situations. Hey if the Ecoboost is the answer to displacement, I will take it!

Status
Not open for further replies.