Gold Line Freq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpycmpr

Does anyone have the current Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) Gold Line Road voice frequency? The one in the DB (161.250) has gone digital data.

Steve

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
There was talk last year MTA would be transitioning rail ops to NXDN. Sounds like that might be the case already.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
They are licensed licensed for it, so it sounds like this is the case. A discriminator tapped scanner or $20 RTLSDR running DSD+ should pick them up no problem provided that they are not using encryption.

Mark

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

karldotcom

I was scanning all the railroad frequencies last night and noticed most of the MTA frequencies were digital now....although there were occasional analog transmissions.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to learn more about this.

I will say that there is a little bit of a learning curve, but if you look at the DSD+ thread in the software forum here, it will fill you in on the decoding

Links about the RTL:

http://www.rtlsdr.com/
http://www.rtlsdr.org/softwarewindows

Here is a good source on eBay for the stick (they are cheap in cost and quality so I would suggest buying two):

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171163633489?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

If you need any more help or info, shoot me a PM.

MARK

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Mark,
If it is OK, I may also contact you by PM. I am interested in monitoring some of the new digital railroad stuff.
I have plenty of RT dongles, but am interested in using a scanner with discriminator audio. Have the PSR-600, Uniden 396/996 XTs. Have new x36HPs, know they won't work. Anyone know of someone in LA area that will tap a couple of scanners for a fee? Want to start using DSD.

Thanks
Steve AA6IO

Markb

Premium Subscriber
No problem, Steve.
Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone around here that does discriminator taps, but hopefully you can find someone.

Mark

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
As of a few weeks ago, all Metro Rail comms are now NXDN digital. Metro Red Line was the last to go, as it was a challenge since it's underground. But it has made the switch, along with the yard frequencies and the facilities maintenance channel. The employees I've talked to say they like it better than analog, they can hear the conversations much clearer. Icom radios are used, the red line cabs have remote head radios.

DPD1

Awe geez... Am I actually going to have to break down and get a NXDN?

The original Goldline ops channel was really powerful. It made it all the way out to Ventura Co. Have no idea why. Might have been up at one of the mountain sites. But yes, the above/below ground situation, makes it a unique system. Glad to hear they got it right for once.

Ps2jrg

So what are the options now that they are using NXDN I'm new to this encryption but it sounds like there is a work around?

Status
Not open for further replies.