Visiting North Hollywood Area...Scanner help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner_geek

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I am a deputy in South Florida, I am heading to LA for training and was wondering if anyone could tell me the most action packed channels for LASO and LAPD?

I was reading the forms and it looks like everything is in the UHF band 470-513mhz ??? They don't us trunk systems ?

Can you give me a list to hear the good stuff?

Also I am supposed to ride along with LAPD and LASO, what area district would be the most action packed ?

Please PM me, Email me or respond on open form. I am leaving this weekend.

scanner_geek

PS I have the Home Patrol and BCD436, so if anyone wants to share any favorite lists that would be great! I also use Butel ARC software and free scan if you have any ready made files ?

scottyhetzel

Listen to LAPD hot shots/ K9/Air ( all the crazy calls Citywide are dispatched there...there are three hills tops with different frequencies...so depending on where you are you want the right tower.. Its digital P25 conventional. Also any of the Sheriff freq. like East L.A., Hollywood station, Van Nuys, all will be busy. The Wiki will explain the unit areas and identifiers...

All the downtown stations are busy... the valley areas and out skirts of the town are quieter and have less violent calls.

Enjoy and be safe...enjoy your P.O.S.T. class

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
As mentioned, the LAPD K9-Hotshot channel is good (covers the entire city). I also like to monitor the Metro and SWAT channels and the VHF aero channels.Note LAPD is P-25 digital.

On the LASD (Sheriff) system, I usually don't monitor the station dispatch channels. I like to monitor the local and regional A-Tac, L-Tac and C-Tac channels, plus SUD (Special Units) and SWAT. LASD is analog FM. You will probably see a lot more action on a ride along in East Los Angeles (ELA) or Compton (CPT) stations. If you can swing it, try to get some time with the SEB folks (Special Enforcement Bureau).

As far as other channels to monitor, don't forget some of the area interop frequencies as well as news media choppers (123.025 am). You might also want to try listening to LA City Fire (Ch 4 metro rescue ambulances, Ch 7 metro area dispatch, Ch 8 san fernando valley dispatch).

Play safe.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
You will probably see a lot more action on a ride along in East Los Angeles (ELA) or Compton (CPT) stations. If you can swing it, try to get some time with the SEB folks (Special Enforcement Bureau).

I don't know if much has changed since I last visited SoCal, but when I went a few years ago, North Hollyweird would have made for a very interesting place to do a ride-along. Some of the stuff I've seen out there sticks with me to this day. If you like to see stuff that is beyond weird and bizarre, that's the place to be. As for East LA or Compton, dude no thanks... I choose life. Those places'll get ya killed. ;)

-AZ

vstream02

I don't know if much has changed since I last visited SoCal, but when I went a few years ago, North Hollyweird would have made for a very interesting place to do a ride-along. Some of the stuff I've seen out there sticks with me to this day. If you like to see stuff that is beyond weird and bizarre, that's the place to be. As for East LA or Compton, dude no thanks... I choose life. Those places'll get ya killed. ;)

-AZ

Maybe if you walk around with your scanner full blast and your iPad glued to your face. Typical stereotype.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Maybe if you walk around with your scanner full blast and your iPad glued to your face. Typical stereotype.

No, not really. I lived in Lynwood for about 3 months. Saw plenty in that time to know that a stereotype isn't a stereotype when it's true. Did I mention I was there during the Rodney King riots? That was fun - not. I was glad to leave that part of the LA area and have zero plans to ever go back.

-AZ

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
No, not really. I lived in Lynwood for about 3 months. Saw plenty in that time to know that a stereotype isn't a stereotype when it's true. Did I mention I was there during the Rodney King riots? That was fun - not. I was glad to leave that part of the LA area and have zero plans to ever go back.

-AZ

It's amazing how a stereotype from 20+ years ago is assumed it's still true. There's lotsa places you
couldn't have paid me to go in the basin that long ago, that today I wouldn't mind at all living in. And it's fine with us if you don't want to be here, or ever come back - but I don't remember anyone inviting you.

Then again, I'm here - so my perspective is the real world, and not a fond memory :)

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
As for A LASD ride along, I'd suggest Palmdale station. Just beyond crazy. Century is also a good spot for action. Or if you like watching paint dry, and having 15 minute code 3 responses to get there, Lost Hills is the station for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.