RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum > Greater Los Angeles & Inland Areas Discussion

Greater Los Angeles & Inland Areas Discussion Local area specific discussion for Los Angeles and its outlying areas such as Ventura and Orange Counties, and the Inland Empire area.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 10:41 PM

...Followup: 6 is starting to wake up, so I'm going to go chase that for a bit. Two new voice channels in the mix - here's the current log for Oat

476.350 i
476.375 v
476.500 v
476.950 a
476.975 a
477.100 c

I may be able to park a radio on this tomorrow - stay tuned 8*)
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2014, 1:16 PM

Left things up and running on Oat this morning, and the data I collected mirrors the FCC filing:

476.350 i
476.500 v
476.650 v
476.800 v
476.950 a
477.100 c
476.375 v
476.525 v
476.675 v
476.825 v
476.975 a

Only TG 2555 (enc) appears to have been active.

Neighboring sites 3, 5, 11, 12, 13 are connected,current; sites 1 and 4 are showing failed,current
Old 05-29-2014, 6:55 PM

I don't know that it makes that much sense to track talkgroups at this early stage, but TG 2578 was up with encryption, for a while...
Old 06-05-2014, 2:02 PM

TG 12 was up with encryption this afternoon.

Quick question - For P25 conventional, channels can carry a mixture of clear and encrypted communications and often do. For P25 trunked, can a given TG carry a mixture, or does it have to be associated with one or the other as part of the programming? If I know that, say, TG2555 is always going to be encrypted, I can lock it out of the duty radios and let the computer log it for trafint.

Another quick question - some of the channels are showing up in the DB with actual tags - like 'LAPD A' --- were those just passing reference to the tags in the radio during testing, or are these actually being put to use??

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2014, 2:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Not sure if this applies/helps, but on ICIS-Pasadena's P25, I've seen the a few TGs show encrypted at one time and clear another.

Sharing ADSB data with PlanePlotter, live-military-mode-s.eu, libhomeradar, flightradar24, vrs-europe.eu, MilAirComms
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2014, 8:03 PM

I will second the observation on ICIS. I have heard Glendale SWAT with some radios ENC and some radio in the clear....I assumed some people hadn't switched to ENC mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbassNick View Post
Not sure if this applies/helps, but on ICIS-Pasadena's P25, I've seen the a few TGs show encrypted at one time and clear another.
Old 06-05-2014, 8:10 PM

Cool - thanks. I'll keep everything in the active scan lists, then 8*)
Old 06-06-2014, 8:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Encrypt / Clear is a function of the subscriber radio programming. Agencies who want all traffic on a given channel / talk group encrypted will program the subscriber equipment (and consoles) to be full-time encrypted.

Setting the radio up with encryption being a user-selectable option is why you will see reports of "some traffic encrypted, some traffic in the clear" on a given channel - often to the detriment of the surveillance or other tactical activity - when one or more users forgets to set the switch to encrypted.
Old 06-06-2014, 5:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Clear/Encrypted is not only a function of subscriber programming when it comes to trunking. When a talkgroup is provisioned, there is a selection of clear, encrypted, or both. If a talkgroup is programmed as encrypted only, and a subscriber is programmed with that talkgroup in the clear, it will get bonked. that's the best way to avoid accidentally transmitting in the clear.
Sponsored links

Old 06-07-2014, 10:45 AM

Good to know, and that all makes a lot of sense. Thank you guys!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:30 AM

Default Torrance, Palos Verdes Estates pull out of emergency responders system

Citing concerns over cost and efficiency, Torrance and Palos Verdes Estates have pulled out of a proposed countywide system that would allow emergency responders from different jurisdictions to communicate with one another during major disasters.

Torrance officially did so at Tuesday’s City Council meeting, following Palos Verdes Estates’ lead in May, but the two cities share the same concerns about the interoperability system after four years of planning.

“It’s an open checkbook,” said Tony Dahlerbruch, city manager of Palos Verdes Estates, although it’s unclear how much the system would cost individual cities.

Torrance Mayor Frank Scotto was more blunt.

“In layman’s terms they’re creating a cellphone network that police officers would use,” he said. “If there’s a major catastrophe those networks are going to go down just like all the other (communication) networks.

“It just makes no sense and it’s just so expensive,” he added. “It will probably never get used and when the time comes when we do need it, it probably won’t work. It’s so stupid.”

There’s already an interoperable communication system between South Bay cities.

The cities have the option of rejoining if the countywide system ever gets off the ground.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

As far as cities exiting the JPA, this was well expected. Now once the LARICS board adopts a funding plan, each city must decide to either continue as a JPA member and be subject to adopted levy or exit the JPA. Cities retain the option to "buy" their way back into the system in the future via yet to be defined price tag.

But as reminder, this thread is meant as the unified place to discuss and post LA-RICS frequency and talkgroup information. So lets try to stick to the frequencies and talkgroup information. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Not much happening on the Oat cell... mostly encrypted comms on 2555 and its neighbors. However, I do catch activity in the low-end talkgroups from Rolling Hills and Verdugo when I'm out and about... Makes me wonder if, perhaps, the higher-numbered groups are set for multi-site simulcast while the lower numbered-groups are tied to specific cells (for now, in the testing stage).

For those of you who are able to monitor RH and/or V from a fixed location... Are the test-tones that show up on some of the TG in the 40-50 range solid, stable tones, or is there some other modulation in there? On the road, it sounds like a tone with other audio trying to bleed through, but I sort of wonder if that has more to do with decoding-artifacts from multipath, etc...

Has anyone heard any confirmed TDMA? I have not (using a PSR-800)...
Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 PM
Global DB Admin
Database Admin

I've heard the tone (mostly TG.47). It tends to be warby with fading. Voice quality however has been quite good in testing I've heard.
Old 06-19-2014, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAflyer View Post
I've heard the tone (mostly TG.47). It tends to be warby with fading. Voice quality however has been quite good in testing I've heard.
Ok - yeah, that's consistent with what I've been hearing. It is actually during the fades that I hear something that could pass as distorted voice - so that kind of piqued my curiosity...

Thanks... //b
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2014, 8:15 PM
Global DB Admin
Database Admin

Remainder of frequencies confirmed for Johnstone UHF and Mt McDill UHF sites. Db updated
Old 07-04-2014, 12:41 PM

TG 2582 was active on Oat with encrypted traffic yesterday...
Old 08-07-2014, 3:26 PM
Global DB Admin
Database Admin

Default Keep it on Topic Please

Gentlemen -

Remember this master thread is for the purpose of discussing frequency and talk group related information only.

If you wish to discuss the finance, politics, or other issues surrounding LA-RICS please do so in a separate thread.

Off topic discussions will be deleted by the Moderators.

You cooperation is appreciated in keeping this thread on topic.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAflyer View Post
Off topic discussions will be deleted by the Moderators.
Posts nuked. This thread has had enough warnings. If you disagree, take it up privately please.
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.
Old 09-05-2014, 2:31 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
I am not able to pickup anything from Orange County yet.
You won’t pick up anything (local police/county sheriff) from Orange County. All encrypted.