LAPD Radio Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

njemt7212

OK, So I tried the search but only found references to this but every picture I see of the interior of an LAPD vehicle is a label placed near or on the radio that says "Radio Logon ******". I for the life of me cannot figure this out and it is bothering me lol. Is this just the P25 ID that is transmitted?

todd818

It's the radio ID for the mobile radio installed in the car. The officers log on to their MDC, which includes entering their vehicle number and radio IDs for the mobile and handhelds.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Yes...they would log their Rover numbers in over the air ....you don't hear it anymore
Some still do. If the unit is not equipped with an MDT, such as bicycle units, motor units (motorcycle), detective units, etc, they still log in over the air with their ROVER number, shop number (vehicle number), and beginning mileage (if applicable). Otherwise, they log in using their MDT (as todd818 mentioned).

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Yes...they would log their Rover numbers in over the air ....you don't hear it anymore

Shows my age a bit. Its been years since then but that and the musical chimes when keying up are fond memories. Always knew it was LAPD from those chimes without having to look at the scanner. :)

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Shows my age a bit. Its been years since then but that and the musical chimes when keying up are fond memories. Always knew it was LAPD from those chimes without having to look at the scanner. :)
If you want to take a walk down LAPD Communications Memory Lane, you should check out Harry Marnell's website. Harry is a member here with the handle KMA367.

Marnell's Home Page

njemt7212

I should have thought of the MDT lol. We do the same thing at my dispatch agency when logging into MDT but they are engraved on the portable and we don't count mobiles.

Thanks guys !

SCPD

QRT
Handhelds are issued for each shift and an officer will likely have a different handheld each day, even if they are assigned to the same patrol area day after day. They are likely to have a different car each day as well. They log in the handhelds to match the unit and officer ID in case an officer activates the emergency trigger feature. The handheld transmits the radio ID each time it is keyed. If the officer is unable to speak after triggering it the CAD will identify the officer and status.

Without the handheld being logged in none of this would be possible.

On another subject related to the handhelds, are they still called ROVERS? (Remote Out of Vehicle Emergency Radio System) This was a term that started when the LAPD changed to UHF from VHF around 1980 as I recall. They were a little behind many other agencies as far as equipping their officers with handhelds.

What is not known all that well is there are many more receive only sites than repeaters. The receivers are voted and feed the repeaters. The LAFD has the same type of system, something that is more critical with their 800 MHz system.

Status
Not open for further replies.