RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum > Greater Los Angeles & Inland Areas Discussion


Greater Los Angeles & Inland Areas Discussion - Local area specific discussion for Los Angeles and its outlying areas such as Ventura and Orange Counties, and the Inland Empire area.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2016, 5:16 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orange County,Ca
Posts: 345
Default County Fire to dispatch La Habra Hts Fire

La Habra Hts is expected to switch dispatch services from the city of Downey to County Fire once final approval is given by the county Board of Sups.

Sounds like Heights will switch to county fire freqs. The switch is promoted as less expensive, improves auto-aid response times, and mutual aid coordination.

Downey has dispatched Hts Fire since 2013 after LHH ended dispatch by volunteers as had been the practice since the department was founded some 80 yrs ago.

Look for a switch early in the new year.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2016, 1:52 AM
LBH LBH is offline
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Eastern LA County
Posts: 37
Default

The BoS vote is slated for the 12/6/16 meeting. Here is the link to the agreement:

http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/bo...ocs/109548.pdf

The County will be roughly half the cost of Downey.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2017, 8:36 PM
LBH LBH is offline
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Eastern LA County
Posts: 37
Default

Today is the day that LA County Fire took over dispatch services. Units are, so far, Medic Engine 771 and Engine 772. It appears Squad 71, aka Squad 741 in the Downey numbering scheme, is no more.

In March 2016, LHH ran 51 calls (http://la-habra-heights.granicus.com...&meta_id=29436). As of 6:30 tonight, they already have six, including two different times when two calls were within half an hour of each other. It appears they may be a bit busier now.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-02-2017, 9:12 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 161
Default

Does this change mean they move from Fire Mutual Aid Area E to Area B?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Eng74's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kern County, CA
Posts: 1,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH View Post
Today is the day that LA County Fire took over dispatch services. Units are, so far, Medic Engine 771 and Engine 772. It appears Squad 71, aka Squad 741 in the Downey numbering scheme, is no more.

In March 2016, LHH ran 51 calls (http://la-habra-heights.granicus.com...&meta_id=29436). As of 6:30 tonight, they already have six, including two different times when two calls were within half an hour of each other. It appears they may be a bit busier now.
Was Engine 771 a medic engine before the change over?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2017, 4:55 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orange County,Ca
Posts: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disp10 View Post
Does this change mean they move from Fire Mutual Aid Area E to Area B?
They should still be Area E,,,this is just a contract for dispatch services which was mostly done to improve their response times in runs that we auto aid.

There was no complaint with Downey and no discussion at the LHH city council about leaving Area E
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 326
Default

Yes Downey area E dispatch has always been good. Back in the day Lynwood fire use to be dispatched at Downey and then they left to goto LACOFD. Then Montebello Fire was being dispatched back and forth and then they finally left to goto Verdugo.

Downey, Santa Fe Springs, Compton have held in there thru thick and thin.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2017, 6:08 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orange County,Ca
Posts: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
Yes Downey area E dispatch has always been good. Back in the day Lynwood fire use to be dispatched at Downey and then they left to goto LACOFD. Then Montebello Fire was being dispatched back and forth and then they finally left to goto Verdugo.

Downey, Santa Fe Springs, Compton have held in there thru thick and thin.
Back in the 70's all the Area E cities with the exception of Vernon shared 154.25 featuring different dispatchers for each agency except SFS. This included Whittier (70's units) and South Gate.

I'm not sure when LHH joined Area E as the fire dept remained an independent volunteers organization well after the city incorporated, eventually being absorbed into a city entity.

Those were good times for scanner enthusiasts.

Nobody knows what Area E will look like in the future as each city has requested a proposal for service by County Fire at some time in recent years.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2017, 6:33 PM
Aero125's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 201
Default

Don't be surprised if some of the smaller city departments go with Verdugo Dispatch. Vernon is the latest example. When Montebello ICI goes P25 soon the coverage area for this expands.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2017, 8:38 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orange County,Ca
Posts: 345
Default

Are there any agencies left in the region other than large ones that still operate their own dispatch for just their own agency?

I think Santa Monica has their own fire dispatchers but now operate under same roof as PD.

Any others still operating independently?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2017, 9:40 AM
Aero125's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 201
Default

I think La Verne, West Covina, Culver City, Beverly Hills, and Torrance are still on their own.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:50 AM
LAflyer's Avatar
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,378
Default

Culver City is being dispatched by South Bay RCC effective March 1st.

Only few years ago the Area-A cities - Beverly Hills, Culver City, Santa Monica explored unified dispatch but dropped idea when it became clear a new facility would be needed as none of the cities could absorb each other in their existing locations.

Also might remember Santa Monica in 2007 contracted with LAFD, but reactivated its own dispatch facility in 2009 again.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2017, 9:05 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orange County,Ca
Posts: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero125 View Post
I think La Verne, West Covina, Culver City, Beverly Hills, and Torrance are still on their own.
La Verne and West Covina and Torrance are dispatched by the PD, Culver City is now dispatched by South Bay in Hawthorne,,,not sure about Beverly Hills though.

The days of smaller cities (under 100,000 or so) have a fire dispatcher for just that one city seems to be almost history, as opposed to being the rule several decades ago..
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2017, 1:17 AM
Rdamavandi's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNDaOC View Post
La Verne and West Covina and Torrance are dispatched by the PD, Culver City is now dispatched by South Bay in Hawthorne,,,not sure about Beverly Hills though.

The days of smaller cities (under 100,000 or so) have a fire dispatcher for just that one city seems to be almost history, as opposed to being the rule several decades ago..
Beverly Hills Dispatches out of the Police station and it covers PD, Fire, and Parking
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2017, 6:22 PM
Newbie
   
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Default Which Freqs?

Does anyone know which frequency LHH fire is being dispatched on? Also La Habra, the Blue 13 they used to be on has gone silent. Perhaps a new frequency with LHH too?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orange County,Ca
Posts: 345
Default

LHH calls will be dispatched voice on Blue 8 (470.5375) as is the practice countywide,, and their home frequency is Blue 1, and that is where all calls inside the Heights would be handled. If LHHFD runs into La Habra or Whittier.(470.5625). If they happen to gone north into Hacienda or Rowland Hrs it would be Blue 5 (470.6625)

Former Eng 71 is now Medic Engine 771 (ME771) in CAD, but not sure how its voiced.)

Things sure have changed up their in my lifetime of scanning. They used to run as a volunteer dept with Rio Hondo students in service weekdays 5 Engines, two patrols, water tender, and the chief's wife rolling in the rescue from home 24/7, and grannies dispatching from their kitchens.

Some of the old apparatus sheds are still in place around town if you know where to look.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Newbie
   
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for that info. I guess blue 13 isn't being used for response anymore. Appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2017, 9:56 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orange County,Ca
Posts: 345
Default

I have also observed that Blue 13 is not being used for La Habra area radio traffic, and that is too bad because Blue 1 sucks in a lot of La Mirada too right now, where I am.

It continues to baffle me why such big fluctuations in the signal quality on Blue 1 and 8 at the same spot week-to-week.

If LASD can have acceptable phasing done on their countywide channels what is Fire's excuse?

Might be that years ago when I worked at LASD SCC that each time ISD performed radio site work for them a charge was levied against LASD's budget.

Maybe that is why Fire allows this, the Chief needs a new desk?
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: socal
Posts: 54
Default

Blue 13 repeated Blue 1. Blue 1 is pretty loud and clear in La Habra, Blue 8 still is a stinker.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2017, 3:04 PM
Eng74's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kern County, CA
Posts: 1,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNDaOC View Post
I have also observed that Blue 13 is not being used for La Habra area radio traffic, and that is too bad because Blue 1 sucks in a lot of La Mirada too right now, where I am.

It continues to baffle me why such big fluctuations in the signal quality on Blue 1 and 8 at the same spot week-to-week.

If LASD can have acceptable phasing done on their countywide channels what is Fire's excuse?

Might be that years ago when I worked at LASD SCC that each time ISD performed radio site work for them a charge was levied against LASD's budget.

Maybe that is why Fire allows this, the Chief needs a new desk?
Maybe in the past a city in that area already had the freq so LACoFD could not over power it. My local PD was on a VHF that is the same as what the County Fire uses now on the other side of the mountains. Since the switch the could use it on this side but it has not been done.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions