Noobie Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcfc2405

Hello everyone!

Just got a WS-1040 scanner. After doing much research with RR, I used PSR-500/600 to program my scanner for all MetroNet and OCFA channels. However, radio traffic is light, much less than the broadcastify channels. Am I doing something wrong or is the antenna just that weak?

I've attached some screenshots for you guys. Let me know what else you need. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 2018-04-15 22_20_32-Talkgroup Properties.jpg
    2018-04-15 22_20_32-Talkgroup Properties.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 320
  • 2018-04-15 22_20_01-PSR-500_600, Pro-106_197, WS1040_WS1065 & PRO-651_652 Configuration Editor -.jpg
    2018-04-15 22_20_01-PSR-500_600, Pro-106_197, WS1040_WS1065 & PRO-651_652 Configuration Editor -.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 297
  • 2018-04-15 22_19_15-TSYS Object Editor.jpg
    2018-04-15 22_19_15-TSYS Object Editor.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 294

KK6UME

Premium Subscriber
MetroNet Programming

Hello,

After looking at your images there, I would suggest splitting up the Talkgroups into their respective Cell sites.

For example, Brea talkgroups occur on the Countywide Cell, so create a new system called "OC Countywide" and only add the "Countywide" control channel frequencies (those shown in red and blue) found on the database page. Then do this for the other needed cells and place the corresponding talkgroups into the correct cells. Then you can put all of those MetroNet talkgroups into one scan list specifically for MetroNet.

Splitting them up by cells is a little tedious, but it makes sure the scanner is looking in the right place for those talkgroups.

Here's a list of the MetroNet North cities and the cells their talkgroups appear on:

2E MetroNet North Dispatch: Countywide Cell

Anaheim talkgroups: North Cell

Brea talkgroups: Countywide Cell

Fullerton talkgroups: North Cell

Garden Grove: Northwest Cell

(City of) Orange: North Cell

OCFA has all of it's daily talkgroups on the Countywide Cell.

The other Cell assignments are found here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/inde...ions_System_(CCCS)_Talkgroup_Cell_Assignments

Hope this helps!

P.S The Countywide cell does not mean that it covers all agencies countywide, it is more for those county agencies that travel or cover all over the county typically (Public Works, Sheriff, Parks, etc.)

Last edited:

Markb

Premium Subscriber
That is partially incorrect. All fire talkgroups are on the countywide cell with the following exceptions, as shown at the bottom of the wiki page:
2N - North
3A thru 3E - South
5G and 5H - South

If you have the countywide cell properly programmed, you should be hearing the vast majority of the fire traffic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Markb

Premium Subscriber
The other thing is that you appear to have 2 frequencies from the countywide cell programmed in and the rest are probably the north cell, I'm guessing without cross-referencing the db.
Each cell needs to be it's own separate site or system (not sure how GRE sets up their stuff).

allend

Premium Subscriber
Also, keep in mind that the WS-1040 is only an analog scanner radio. You will not be able to listen to any digital talkgroups. Also, a side note that this scanner might only work for another 1 year and that will be it for Metro-Net and OCFA. The whole system will be P25 Digital. Analog will go away.

KK6UME

Premium Subscriber
Oops, didn't mean to spread false info. I know that for most OC city agencies, they have an assigned geographic cell, but I wasn't aware that most Fire talkgroups were on Countywide. Good info!

And like Markb said, programming each cell in as a separate system is the best way to go. If the WS1040 is like my Pro-651, then there is no option for programming different sites, they would have to be their own systems.

Also, Allend, I believe the WS1040 will do digital P25 Phase I which will work for OC as they won't be going Phase II.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Oops, didn't mean to spread false info. I know that for most OC city agencies, they have an assigned geographic cell, but I wasn't aware that most Fire talkgroups were on Countywide. Good info!

And like Markb said, programming each cell in as a separate system is the best way to go. If the WS1040 is like my Pro-651, then there is no option for programming different sites, they would have to be their own systems.

Also, Allend, I believe the WS1040 will do digital P25 Phase I which will work for OC as they won't be going Phase II.

Oh yeah my bad. The WS-1040 is the handheld version which will do digital. Yes this is a good radio that will decode P25 digital really well.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Here is an excel spreadsheet that has each talkgroup that is assigned to the different cell sites.

Attachments

• CountyWide Layout.zip
    19.8 KB · Views: 41

dcfc2405

Thanks guys for everything! I did do as everyone advised and my WS1040 works like a charm - I was dropping my wife off to work in La Puente this morning and I could still here ORCO and MetroNet quite well which I was really surprised about!

On our way up to dropping her off we heard of an incident off the 241 and they were on the OC Fire talkgroup. I checked the database here but couldn't find anything. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks again!

Markb

Premium Subscriber
FIRE-OC is a conventional frequency. 151.0100.
It's under the "general" OC database, not the trunked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.