• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

About SC4 files and Orion band mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Iv seen this someplace before.. cant remember what place thou

Soo how could i make my 403-440 get to the 450mhz range?450-460 ish.. That possible?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The low pass filter is your biggest concern. The bandsplit selector resistor is easy enough to change out on the logic board, and the VCO needs to be re-ranged by a capacitor change. But it's the low pass
filter that's the toughest part of the changeover. Someone who can analyze and redesign that filter
would be most helpful.

Elroy

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
I had located these intructions somewhere else on the internet and wanted to use it to program 33 mhz stuff in a 35-50 orion. I never understood how to associate the SC files with the orion software. If someone could explain it a liitle better I would certainly appreciate it.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Bring up ProGrammer. In the top toolbar, you have a Tools option. Click on it.

You now have several visible selections. One of them is "Options and directory settings". Select that one.

A window pops up titled, no surprise here, "Options and directory settings".

In this window, there's a box titled "Enable SC4 Files:" Click in that box to select it.

You have to create or obtain the suitable SC4 file, know its name, and park it in a directory where
you can find it. When programming the radio, you should now have the option to navigate to that
directory and select that file.

I haven't done all this myself yet, but I'm about to.

Elroy

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Normally in radios of the Orion vintage, they quite often use discrete L & C TX bandpass filters. But it looks like the Orion uses a nice stripline with discrete C filter arrangement, which isn't quite as easy to modify... at least with discrete L you can stretch or compress coils very easy. With the Orion, looks like you have to replace the SMD capacitors around the stripline. They're pretty low values too, so you could try using caps with 0.5pF less each value as a starting point. I don't think I've got any stripline filter modelling software to check it out, but that would be the way to go if you were serious.
But if its only a matter of wanting to go up a few MHz for the 30-50 MHz band, maybe 5 or so MHz for VHF, and perhaps 10 MHz for UHF versions - its probably not that critical. Rolloff is typically 3dB per 2% the highest design freq above cutoff for UHF.

10-95

Having used the SC4 files on both orions and MRK high split VHF's, I can tell you that you enter in the frequency like normal, say you want 146.880 recieve, you enter 156.880 in the frequency window. When you write the code to the radio the SC4 file will do a shift conversion while buffering the data and upon writing it it will dump in 146.880. It's altering the code in the buffer and when you read the radio next time it will show 146.880, however if you click on that frequency window, you are stuck, you can't just enter in 146.XXX, you always have to enter in 156.XXX and use the SC4 file. I have the a sample of the Raw code around somewhere, not sure what the legality of posting that code on a public forum would be.

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
I don't have Programmer. I have the older TQ-3367 software which according to the article uses just the SC files rather than SC4 files. It seems a liitle more complex to do than with the Programmer software.

EDACS_247

Premium Subscriber
I experimented with something today. Using R20, I wanted to see if I could force feed out of band (VHF 140's) frequencies into an Orion without using an sc4 file. I accomplished it by tricking programmer into thinking it was going into a 136 -174 M7100. It worked well, and when I read the Orion everything is in there correctly. Here's the problem: I'm getting a repeatedly flashing error code of 0401. I tried tuning the RX VCO but that didn't do it. So far I get the same error code on 3 separate Orions. Any suggestions?

P.S. The process was done by attempting to write an actual M7100, then after the error checking (before hitting ok at the flash code screen) connect it to the Orion instead & hit ok. After I read the Orion it still comes up as an Orion in Programmer. I didn't tell it was an M7100, I tried that later it was no help.

Status
Not open for further replies.