RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum

Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum For general discussion of MA/COM EDACS and ProVoice systems, including equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 2:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default List of narrow band capable radios?

Is there a list of which mobiles and portables (VHF, UHF) are capable of narrow band operation? I'm thinking about older radios, since I know most newer radios are (if they have option 23).

Delta-S, -SX
Rangr
MLS
MVS
MDX
Pheonix-S, -SX

PCS
MPA

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2009, 9:10 PM

You could retrofit these older radios with more narrow IF filters and set the deviation limiting a bit tighter to 'convert' them into narrowband types, if they never came out of the factory as such... but with the caveat that they wouldn't be FCC approved in that form.
But sorry, I can't help with specific advice on the models you're looking at.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
Is there a list of which mobiles and portables (VHF, UHF) are capable of narrow band operation? I'm thinking about older radios, since I know most newer radios are (if they have option 23).

Delta-S, -SX
Rangr
MLS
MVS
MDX
Pheonix-S, -SX

PCS
MPA

Thanks
none of these are narrowband capable iirc

you could probably modify them, but then the would lose their type acceptance as mentioned
Old 02-26-2009, 12:07 AM

I'm pretty sure the MDX can do it.
Old 02-26-2009, 3:17 PM

Default Narrow Band Radios

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/equipment/equipment.cfm
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2011, 5:04 AM

will the motorola saber three (3) vhf portable comply with narrow banding requirements?
Old 04-13-2011, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect62 View Post
I'm pretty sure the MDX can do it.

The MDX radios are junk. If you have ever used them in a high RF environment, you would know what I am talking about.
Old 04-13-2011, 7:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

All Motorola Sabers with the exception of the Astro are not compliant, any radio built before 1995 will more than likely not comply. Installing aftermarket parts, while themselves are narrow compliant will not make the radio compliant. You would have to reapply for compliance. I actually thought of setting up a service to do that.The best thing to do is get the FCC ID off the radio and run it in the FCC database at:
OET -- FCC ID Search

I know it sucks, the FCC did everything it could to force you to buy new equipment, as people came up with new ways to make old radios compliant they kept changing the rules, and they are now trying to do the same for GMRS.
Old 04-13-2011, 7:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

We have some Astro Sabers and Astro Spectras that won't do the 2.5 kc steps. So not all Astros are fully NB compliant.
Sponsored links

Old 04-13-2011, 8:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Narrow band compliance and 2.5 kc steps are 2 different issues. You can have an older Astro series radio that IS compliant, that may not do the 2.5 kc steps. Not everybody has to change frequency with narrow banding, only SOME new allocations are using the 2.5 kc step channels. Again run the number in the FCC database, it will tell all.
Having to narrow band some 2000 plus radios, kinda makes me an expert at this. Unfortunately.LOL

A little bit of what I have to deal with. Vertex FTL-2011, some old Yaesu, Repco 10-8, Repco RPX crystal, Repco RPX synth, Harmon RC-4, Aerotron Alpha and Omega, Harmon Trackstar, Trackstar II, Motorola Syntor, Mitrek,Spectra Clean Cab, Spectra Cab car AAR. GE MPA, MRK II, Panthers, Orions, M7100,GE MASTR III bases and voters. The newer stuff that just needs reprogramming not replacement, Motorola CDM-1250, HT1550, HT1250,EX600,EX500.Icoms F-3161's and FR5000 and 6000. So anybody that has a large fleet or even a small one, believe me I feel your pain.

Last edited by radioman2001; 04-13-2011 at 9:13 AM..