• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

List of narrow band capable radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Is there a list of which mobiles and portables (VHF, UHF) are capable of narrow band operation? I'm thinking about older radios, since I know most newer radios are (if they have option 23).

Delta-S, -SX
Rangr
MLS
MVS
MDX
Pheonix-S, -SX

PCS
MPA

Thanks

mitaux8030

Silent Key
You could retrofit these older radios with more narrow IF filters and set the deviation limiting a bit tighter to 'convert' them into narrowband types, if they never came out of the factory as such... but with the caveat that they wouldn't be FCC approved in that form.
But sorry, I can't help with specific advice on the models you're looking at.

flecom

Is there a list of which mobiles and portables (VHF, UHF) are capable of narrow band operation? I'm thinking about older radios, since I know most newer radios are (if they have option 23).

Delta-S, -SX
Rangr
MLS
MVS
MDX
Pheonix-S, -SX

PCS
MPA

Thanks

none of these are narrowband capable iirc

you could probably modify them, but then the would lose their type acceptance as mentioned

Mobile

will the motorola saber three (3) vhf portable comply with narrow banding requirements?

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
All Motorola Sabers with the exception of the Astro are not compliant, any radio built before 1995 will more than likely not comply. Installing aftermarket parts, while themselves are narrow compliant will not make the radio compliant. You would have to reapply for compliance. I actually thought of setting up a service to do that.The best thing to do is get the FCC ID off the radio and run it in the FCC database at:
OET -- FCC ID Search

I know it sucks, the FCC did everything it could to force you to buy new equipment, as people came up with new ways to make old radios compliant they kept changing the rules, and they are now trying to do the same for GMRS.

Tech792

We have some Astro Sabers and Astro Spectras that won't do the 2.5 kc steps. So not all Astros are fully NB compliant.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Narrow band compliance and 2.5 kc steps are 2 different issues. You can have an older Astro series radio that IS compliant, that may not do the 2.5 kc steps. Not everybody has to change frequency with narrow banding, only SOME new allocations are using the 2.5 kc step channels. Again run the number in the FCC database, it will tell all.
Having to narrow band some 2000 plus radios, kinda makes me an expert at this. Unfortunately.LOL

A little bit of what I have to deal with. Vertex FTL-2011, some old Yaesu, Repco 10-8, Repco RPX crystal, Repco RPX synth, Harmon RC-4, Aerotron Alpha and Omega, Harmon Trackstar, Trackstar II, Motorola Syntor, Mitrek,Spectra Clean Cab, Spectra Cab car AAR. GE MPA, MRK II, Panthers, Orions, M7100,GE MASTR III bases and voters. The newer stuff that just needs reprogramming not replacement, Motorola CDM-1250, HT1550, HT1250,EX600,EX500.Icoms F-3161's and FR5000 and 6000. So anybody that has a large fleet or even a small one, believe me I feel your pain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.