• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Orion Programing cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALynch05

I have been looking for a while now and can't seem to find a ribless programming cable for the Remote mount Orion. I was going to just buy one from price industries however they have closed. If anyone has a schematic for the ribless cable I really would appreciate it.

SCPD

QRT
I believe that the info on the programming cable is in the help file of your Programmer software.

ALynch05

maybe

I've looked in the help file and if I remember correctly the only schematic is for the cable that uses a rib. But I will have to look again. Or maybe someone knows how to build a jumper to in place of a rib box, as I don't have one of those.

Thanks for the replies.

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Not hard to make.

For a remote control unit programming cable, solder a male & female DB37 connectors, all pins, 'back to back', and then make the following connections:
DB37 pins to a female DB9 that conects to your PC comm port:
DB37 > DB9
2 > 3
3 > 2
7 > 5
also jumper pins 8 to 25 and 6 to 20 on the DB37
and connect pins 7 to 8 on the DB9.

Then encase the back to back DB37s in epoxy to make it rigid.

If you have a local control unit, you only need to use a single DB37, no back-to-back needed.

ALynch05

Thank you

Thats exactly what i was looking for. I had seen something like that before but couldn't find it again. The one i had seen before had resistor's and a diode installed in it thou, are these required?

mitaux8030

Silent Key
The one described above works for me just fine. If it doesn't work for you, then try making these changes to the above:
DB37 > DB9
2 >120 ohm> 3
3 >120 ohm> 2
6 > 8
20 > 7

There is another diagram that has some confusing information that addionally has the following with the note "add to DB25 side" (my confusion is did they really mean DB37 side, or do they mean the Accessory DB25 connector on a remote CU?)
DB37 or DB25???
join pin 7 > pin 8 with cathode of diode to pin 8. Diode type not specified, so 1N4148 would probably do.
join pin 8 > pin 25 with 130 ohm.

ALynch05

one last question

What watt resistor would be needed? I understand 120ohm and would assume 1/4watt would probly do but i don't want to let the smoke out of my radio.

Thanks for all you help,

Muxlow

Super Secret
So lets see if i got this rite
Connect all 37 pins from the male to the female?
1-1
2-2 amd so on on the DB37?
And then connect pin 8-25 and 6-20 on both DB37's?

And only 3 wires go into the DB9 from the 37?
Then jump the other 2 pins and that that?

Whats the most simple way to connect the 37's to each other. Would be a pain to connect wires to each pin to pin. Would it be possible to connect them direct and not use any wire for the DB37's? Other then the 4 jumpers and connect them to the DB9?

A picture im sure would help me out. Ill see it and then be like wow... im dumb :)

I tried to make a cable last night from my front mount cable, figured just copy that pin out to 2 DB37's and then to then DB9.. but failed

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
You don't even have to hook up the control cable, unlike Motorola the control head doesn't need to be hooked up for programming. I program our radios with just the radio hooked up and power applied.

Basically from the radio db37 to a db9 female.
db37 pin > db9 pin
2 > 3
3 > 2
7 > 5
also jumper pins 8 to 25 and 6 to 17 on the db37, and 7 to 8 on the db9.

Pin #25 needs A+ for the radio to turn on.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Iv made 2 different types of cables and programmer keeps saying Couldnt initalize radio.
How do i tell what the last ver of programmer was used to program the radio?

Muxlow

Super Secret
I think the cables are fine. It just may have been programmed with RPM. The person i got it from said it was last used with R18. Same ver i have.. but im not so sure. Just need to know how to check that in the radio itself

EWTCMT

Not hard to make.

For a remote control unit programming cable, solder a male & female DB37 connectors, all pins, 'back to back', and then make the following connections:
DB37 pins to a female DB9 that conects to your PC comm port:
DB37 > DB9
2 > 3
3 > 2
7 > 5
also jumper pins 8 to 25 and 6 to 20 on the DB37
and connect pins 7 to 8 on the DB9.

Then encase the back to back DB37s in epoxy to make it rigid.

If you have a local control unit, you only need to use a single DB37, no back-to-back needed.

I'm a little rusty on Orion programming and what work I did was at a former employers,anyway if I copy this schematic and connect the DB9 directly to the COM port of the PC running Programmer it should initialize and be able to read? If pin 25 needs A+ to turn on radio do I need to supply that from a power supply or is the 5v from the comport OK?

Thanks for any and all refreshing :)

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.