• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I purchased some opensky equipment and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
i need some help with cheap software solutions

I was able to obtain some equipment from a local police auction that came from a system upgrade, i am looking to put it together, this is what i have so far

1 MA-COM OPENSKY BSH-1010 BASE STATION HPA-75

1 MA-COM TYCO OPENSKY 800MHZ 100W HIGH POWER AMP

1 MA-COM OPENSKY DIGITAL BASE STATION BS90

I am looking for ideas for this system and what kind of software i should use to operate it, i was planning on monitoring the Orange County, CA Opensky Transit system, but i'm also interested in putting equity into this equipment and mounting it into a 19'' rack and selling it, i also need a 19" 48 volt rack power supply,

Does anyone have any ideas or know anything about this equipment?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I dont believe these are programmed like a current radio. I believe its more like it log into the system when you turn it on and donwloads a profile of channels to the radio.

Frank

SKYNET156

Banned
Thats good news, i thought i was going to have to spend a few hundred on programming software, but i'm glad i do not have to, i'm still seeking any information i can get on this equipment and it's direct use, i am thinking about using a motorola desktrac consolette to control this with 2 dell poweredge blade servers, does anyone have any suggestions?

SKYNET156

Banned
I'm still looking for any information on these pieces of equipment, i am looking to get it put together, i have a server hooked and ready to go to connect to it, any information would be great, i have searched endlessly on google and have found little to no information, so anyone with knowledge of any opensky equipment, i would really appreciate anything at all.

harrisjt

Premium Subscriber
what you have is back end equipment, as in that is the transmitter for that system you will still need to have the software that runs the data side of things which is going to cost some $$ then a 800 mhz fcc licence to use it as its pretty much a repeater and you probably wont be able to obtain those that easy. as far as monitoring with it..it isnt going to be of no use as its a base station for the system. the only thing that will control it is the open sky network software.

SKYNET156

Banned
I'm looking for the resale value of any of this equipment if you know? i'm not really looking to use this for personal use, but i have all the components for this and i even have a Jaguar 700P radio to go with it,
Also i am looking for the name and part # of the software, price isn't really an issue with the software, it's just the way of obtaining it to get this system up and running.
I would really appreciate any information that you could give me

Cheesedoff

What you have a 2 parts of a very complicated system to setup. You have a station (repeater) and 2 station amplifiers. You are missing a lot of parts to make the open sky system work. Also if you are looking for costing check ebay most of the parts you listed are on sale for a few hundred dollars. That will give you an idea of expected selling prices.

SKYNET156

Banned
What you have a 2 parts of a very complicated system to setup. You have a station (repeater) and 2 station amplifiers. You are missing a lot of parts to make the open sky system work. Also if you are looking for costing check ebay most of the parts you listed are on sale for a few hundred dollars. That will give you an idea of expected selling prices.

Would you be able to elaborate on what parts i may be missing, because i can get them cheap and i'd like to complete this system, i am working on getting the software, i just haven't heard back from Harris yet.
I'd like to make this system somewhat functional and get it sold, it was just a cheap project that i got into from a local police auction, i thought it might be fun to get into the technical end of Opensky, i spent $150 for everything and it powers up and works, and i am building a 3 foot tall rack to put it all into, and my wife is sewing me a custom slip to put over the rack, so i just thought it would be fun to tinker with, i am not really looking to do anything serious with it

Cheesedoff

OpenSky is a software driven system. All the hardware in the world is useless without the software. That being said unless you plan to purchase the open sky software from harris then what you have is a few spare parts. The system has key components and licensing that keep it from just being distributed around the internet. It requires things like the NSC Harris PSPC | Network Switching Center (NSC)
and also utilizes other infrastructure parts. OpenSky operates on a whole different level compared to a analog or even p25 systems. It is entirely IP based.

SKYNET156

Banned
is there any way i could use this equipment independently? i have the base station and the digital transceiver, and i am more/less looking to use it for RoIP connectivity rather than opensky, is this possible? also is it possible to use this equipment in conventional mode? i just picked up a M/A Com 700P that i would like to use with this system, is any of this possible? i emailed Harris PSPC about the Software, but i have yet to hear back from them...

Cheesedoff

This is not a conventional repeater. This is specifically made to run as a network controlled base station. Everything relies on back end. I would suggest looking for a master 2 or master 3 if you are looking for a conventional repeater.

SKYNET156

Banned
So just to go over this one more time, because i have become a little slow in my older years, i can not do anything at all with this equipement unless i have the VIDA Terminal?

Cheesedoff

Vida is the Harris backbone network you cannot do anything with out implementing one and to do that it is a costly endeavor.

Cheesedoff

I also think you will see the Open Sky systems going by the wayside over the next few years.

I think open sky will be around for a while yet. It has its place in the radio world its architecture is radically different from most radio systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.