• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XG-100 Basic programming for P25 800MHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonek554

Would anyone be able to provide me with basic information on how to set up a P25 trunked 800Mhz system on the radio for receive only operation? I use VHF and UHF (Med Channels) for my primary work, but would like to monitor the trunked system in my market also.

W2NJS

The trunked systems you refer to are probably similar to or exactly the same as those used with Motorola equipment. That being the case, unless the system administrator permits you to do so you will not be permitted access to the trunked system. If you should acquire the system key and your radio is not authorized there's a good chance that the sys admin will stun/kill your radio which would mean it has to back to the shop for a reset and you'll be asked what/how this happened to your radio, plus it'll cost you money for the fix. If you're not authorized to monitor a trunked system using a transceiver get a scanner and stay out of trouble.

grem467

While the Unity does support receive only talkgroups, it also requires registration/affiliation before it will unmute. Unless the radio is allowed on the network, I don't think I would risk such an expensive radio getting inhibited.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
The radio WILL receive the system WITHOUT registration.. It will listen to the CC and start receiving as soon as it hears a talkgroup thats in your scan list.. That is a wive's tale that sales folk used to tell the customer but in fact it is not true.. As for the "System Key" needed to program the radio... Not so with a TRUE P25 radio.. Harris is a TRUE P25 radio... You only need the Programmer / RPM software, cable and the system info in order to program the system..Only the Bat wings needs a key on P25.. Kinda kills the meaning and reasoning for an open architecture and interop operations..

I have programmed many Harris radios for receive only with NO transmit function enabled

grem467

The radio WILL receive the system WITHOUT registration.. It will listen to the CC and start receiving as soon as it hears a talkgroup thats in your scan list.. That is a wive's tale that sales folk used to tell the customer but in fact it is not true.. As for the "System Key" needed to program the radio... Not so with a TRUE P25 radio.. Harris is a TRUE P25 radio... You only need the Programmer / RPM software, cable and the system info in order to program the system..Only the Bat wings needs a key on P25.. Kinda kills the meaning and reasoning for an open architecture and interop operations..

I have programmed many Harris radios for receive only with NO transmit function enabled

Our demo radios refused to unmute until we allowed them to register. This was a few firmware versions back, so this behavior might have been a "bug"

As for system keys, its not just Motorola requires a system key, EFJ, Kenwood, Thales and most others require a key. In fact, several systems (including one large statewide system in the southeast) that are looking to put harris radios on the network are requiring them to implement a system key before authorizing the radios on the network.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
RPM has a few wide-area P25 systems in it that require a key to program. The ARMER system and another I can't think of will ask for a license key to be entered if you enter the correct WACN/SID. So there is something in place similar to Moto but it appears to be by request only.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
As long as it's between 380 MHz and 520 MHz and the radio is feature enabled for that band, yes.

greenthumb

Database Admin
Harris is a TRUE P25 radio...

What makes a radio a "true" P25 radio? I hear this kind of thing from Harris people all of the time, but I never hear a good definition to go with it and what makes their radios "full" or "true" P25 while others are not.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
What makes a radio a "true" P25 radio? I hear this kind of thing from Harris people all of the time, but I never hear a good definition to go with it and what makes their radios "full" or "true" P25 while others are not.

No kidding. I use P25 radios from every vendor that support 9600 trunking and they all sound digital to me...but I digress.

The XG-100 platform is a great tool for those who need it, but while Harris is touting it as their P25 Interoperability solution, they refuse to enable EDACS or OpenSky. This baffles me as the radio would be a better tool if it supported those other formats...but then they can't sell me another single band radio with those options, can they? :mad:

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
The use of a system key DEFEATS the purpose of P25.. It figures that Moto would muddy the water just to make more $$$ for a superficial useless item..The ONLY reason EFJ and Kenwood require a key is because they have to in order to compete with the Bat.. Luckily, Harris can read and comprehend the P25 specs and follow them to provide a level playing field

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
A TRUE P25 radio is one that is designed and operates to the APCO P25 specs.. Moto and few others claim P25but they are only P25 compatible, not COMPLIANT.. A TRUE radio will not require a special KEY in order to operate on a P25 system.. It will do all of the required APCO functions as specified in the APCO P25 specs..Moto does NOT..They are compatible not Compliant as is a Harris radio

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I wish that they'd offer Type II Motorola trunking as a format on the XG-100 platform. It would save us a few headaches during our switch from Type II to P25. As of now, we're going to have two separate radios in each vehicle, one for each system, until the migration is complete.

X

xts3000r

No kidding. I use P25 radios from every vendor that support 9600 trunking and they all sound digital to me...but I digress.

The XG-100 platform is a great tool for those who need it, but while Harris is touting it as their P25 Interoperability solution, they refuse to enable EDACS or OpenSky. This baffles me as the radio would be a better tool if it supported those other formats...but then they can't sell me another single band radio with those options, can they? :mad:

sorry but your wrong on the XG-100 has EDACS enable in them. here in Reno Nevada the fire department carry's and they are working, on are county wide EDACS system. i have seen them.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
A TRUE P25 radio is one that is designed and operates to the APCO P25 specs.. Moto and few others claim P25but they are only P25 compatible, not COMPLIANT.. A TRUE radio will not require a special KEY in order to operate on a P25 system.. It will do all of the required APCO functions as specified in the APCO P25 specs..Moto does NOT..They are compatible not Compliant as is a Harris radio

The programming software system key ONLY affects radio programming of that brand of subscriber. It does NOT prevent the use of radios from other vendors on a system.
Now, there IS a feature called link layer authentication that will only allow pre-configured radios on the system. The radio requires an initial "touch" to put a encryption key (nothing to do with voice encryption) in that then helps validate the radio when it affiliates to the system in a challenge-response process. This IS a P25 standard (TIA102.AACE).

Last edited:

greenthumb

Database Admin
sorry but your wrong on the XG-100 has EDACS enable in them. here in Reno Nevada the fire department carry's and they are working, on are county wide EDACS system. i have seen them.

You're talking about the XG-100m, right? I understand that EDACS will never appear in e XG-100p with the current hardware platform.

greenthumb

Database Admin

Remember that P25 is a standard of interfaces. It does not describe an 'interface' for a system key, therefore the use or emission of a system key is no more a P25 standards issue than is the use (or emission) of a display on a radio.

X

xts3000r

You're talking about the XG-100m, right? I understand that EDACS will never appear in e XG-100p with the current hardware platform.

i cant say with 100% on it being the XG-100m, i just know there the XG-100 Radio i seen them and. there nice moble radios, i will look at them to see if its the XG-100m or the XG-100p

Last edited:

low3oh

i cant say with 100% on it being the XG-100m, i just know there the XG-100 Radio i seen them and. there nice moble radios, i will look at them to see if its the XG-100m or the XG-100p

M and P are designators for Mobile and Portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.