• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris Phase 2 P25 systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
A new P25 Phase 2 system is coming on line shortly in Maryland (St. Mary's County). Does anyone know of other Harris Phase 2 systems that are up and running? I'm curious to hear about system performance and other reception related thoughts folks might have on the Harris systems vs. Motorola systems.

For example - do the digital simulcast issues that affect scanner reception exist for both Motorola and Harris systems?

Can anyone identify for me any Harris Phase 2 systems that are posted here on RR (or is St. Mary's the first/only one)?

Last edited:

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Well, just to throw some stuff out there - Harris does have a few systems in beta test out there so maybe the best thing to do in order to look for a Harris phase 2 system is to browse the database and look for the telltale signs of Harris (funky WACNs and low system IDs). Not sure if Harris' P25 phase 1 simulcast will have the same issues that Motorola does since Harris sticks with the same modulation scheme right now. Soon they will be rolling out their version of linear simulcast, so we'll have to wait and see on that, I guess.

troymail

Silent Key
Well, barring some major incident or catastrophic failure we should see on Monday morning when this new system goes online.

The Harris press release says it is to be a 10 channel Phase 2 "compliant" system so at this point it's unclear it that means it's eventually going to be Phase 2 and maybe will only be starting out as Phase 1.... There are 10 frequencies posted for the site here on RR and that sounds like alot for a Phase 2 given the current EDACS which is being replaced is also 10 channels/frequencies. For Phase 2 it would mean they would be doubling the system capacity.

The press release also said that it's an upgrade from a 4 tower EDACS system. On day one, it'll be a 6 tower system but by the completion of the project (in 2018!!!) it'll be 13 towers... kinda makes me wonder how well it's really going to work on day 1 with less than half the total number of planned towers....

As you've pointed out, I too am really interested in the system modulation as compared to the Motorola P25 systems that have arrived in the area.

I'm planning a trip on Monday and will be reporting on my findings.....

Last edited:

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Since Harris introduced the Mastr 5 base station, LSM (C-QPSK) has been the standard.. The M5 will also do C4FM for standard P25 users.
@Troymail, it would appear that the system you commented on will start out as a P25 LSM system and build into a Phase II at completion..

Status
Not open for further replies.