RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum

Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum For general discussion of MA/COM EDACS and ProVoice systems, including equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 6:43 AM

Default Harris Phase 2 P25 systems

A new P25 Phase 2 system is coming on line shortly in Maryland (St. Mary's County). Does anyone know of other Harris Phase 2 systems that are up and running? I'm curious to hear about system performance and other reception related thoughts folks might have on the Harris systems vs. Motorola systems.

For example - do the digital simulcast issues that affect scanner reception exist for both Motorola and Harris systems?

Can anyone identify for me any Harris Phase 2 systems that are posted here on RR (or is St. Mary's the first/only one)?

Last edited by troymail; 07-28-2013 at 6:57 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2013, 6:12 PM

Nobody?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Colorado DB Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Well, just to throw some stuff out there - Harris does have a few systems in beta test out there so maybe the best thing to do in order to look for a Harris phase 2 system is to browse the database and look for the telltale signs of Harris (funky WACNs and low system IDs). Not sure if Harris' P25 phase 1 simulcast will have the same issues that Motorola does since Harris sticks with the same modulation scheme right now. Soon they will be rolling out their version of linear simulcast, so we'll have to wait and see on that, I guess.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Well, barring some major incident or catastrophic failure we should see on Monday morning when this new system goes online.

The Harris press release says it is to be a 10 channel Phase 2 "compliant" system so at this point it's unclear it that means it's eventually going to be Phase 2 and maybe will only be starting out as Phase 1.... There are 10 frequencies posted for the site here on RR and that sounds like alot for a Phase 2 given the current EDACS which is being replaced is also 10 channels/frequencies. For Phase 2 it would mean they would be doubling the system capacity.

The press release also said that it's an upgrade from a 4 tower EDACS system. On day one, it'll be a 6 tower system but by the completion of the project (in 2018!!!) it'll be 13 towers... kinda makes me wonder how well it's really going to work on day 1 with less than half the total number of planned towers....

As you've pointed out, I too am really interested in the system modulation as compared to the Motorola P25 systems that have arrived in the area.

I'm planning a trip on Monday and will be reporting on my findings.....

Last edited by troymail; 08-03-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Old 08-04-2013, 10:38 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Since Harris introduced the Mastr 5 base station, LSM (C-QPSK) has been the standard.. The M5 will also do C4FM for standard P25 users.
@Troymail, it would appear that the system you commented on will start out as a P25 LSM system and build into a Phase II at completion..