RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum

Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum For general discussion of MA/COM EDACS and ProVoice systems, including equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 4:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default harris radio

The radios they are selling are hytera brand they are in contract with them
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2013, 1:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just a wild guess, but these sort of look like Hytera radios that have been rebranded
Old 11-25-2013, 3:47 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhere300
Just a wild guess, but these sort of look like Hytera radios that have been rebranded
They ARE rebranded Hytera radios!!! You replyed early on in this thread stating so... 5th post in the thread stating they are rebanded Hytera radios...

Last edited by kayn1n32008; 11-25-2013 at 3:52 PM..
Old 11-25-2013, 6:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is nothing new for the radio business that has been, at various times, General Electric, Ericsson/GE, Ericsson, Comm-net/Ericssson, Comm-net, M/A-Com, Tyco, and now, Harris.

They have in the past rebranded radios from such makers as Maxon (Monogram portables) and Tait (Some Panther models) and, for all I know, a couple of others as well.

They've always had a pretty practical mindset when it comes to their commercial, rather than public safety, products: Find good product made by other vendors, put their name on them, jack up the price, and do a better job of supporting those products than the actual manufacturer.

Even their public safety products are not always indigenous USA designed product designed and manufactured by their own corporate teams. The GE Rangr mobile radio, which in my mind still ranks as one of the very best engineered mobile radios of all time, was made by Japan Radio Corporation.

The people in Lynchburg, VA have never had any problem with remarketing good products under their own brand name. And why shoudn't they do that? Seems like a very reasonable way to quickly get into a developing market segment without having to spend many millions of dollars reinventing that wheel.
Old 11-25-2013, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElroyJetson View Post
The people in Lynchburg, VA have never had any problem with remarketing good products under their own brand name.
Indeed I have a M/A-Com Panther 605m VHF in the truck. Made by Tait as the T2020 it is a solid 100 channel conventional mobile.
Sponsored links
Old 11-26-2013, 1:44 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by productionguy85 View Post
OK, everybody just calm down... LOL. First off, Harris does make (good) tactical radios, I have never used the tactical models, excet for a 30min demo, so I can't grade those, except from what I have been told and read. As for as my original post, and "new technology" I was referring to was whatever "digital voice coding" the new line will run. As well as Harris getting into the DMR market, as another member posted. I have used both Harris and Motorola on analog and P25 system, and all around I like Motorola better. I know there are many variables that attribute to how a radio/ system work and sound. But thats a different post... I am sorry to say that I am a BRANDIST and I will always prefer Motorola over Harris, EF Johnson, Kenwood, ect. The first step is to admit that I have a problem which I have done, so please get me the help I need to overcome this Motorola Addiction. That is all
Ahhh, another Moto addict! Are there Moto Addicts Anonymous (M.A.A. - hey, I like that!) sessions anywhere that I can attend? LOL
Old 11-26-2013, 2:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm a Moto addict, too. I consider Harris equipment to be good, but put the best portable radio Harris has to offer in your hands for a week and then spend a week with an APX7000 or even an XTS5000 for a week, and at the end of the week you will want to keep the Motorola radio but will be indifferent regarding the Harris radio. I respect Harris' efforts to make quality radios but Motorola just has ergonomics, functionality, and audio quality down to a fine art form.

Motorola has, in the past, invested more money in developing a superior speaker for a specific portable radio than some other companies have invested in developing an entirely new radio.
Old 11-26-2013, 2:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't know about Harris but the old GE company commonly would reverse engineer a Moto product and come out with a radio similar or better in capabilities. ie: Micor and MastrII. Saber and MPA.
Old 11-27-2013, 9:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have Sabers and M-PAs. As well as many other kinds of radios in my collection. (Yes, I collect portable radios.) Having used the Sabers and the M-PAs both, extensively, on a daily basis for years, I can say that I always considered the Saber to be a far better radio. The M-PA is a good radio but it's bulky, heavy, and the Saber's menu based operating system absolutely slaughters the M-PA's function key based system.

Motorola has a better overall understanding of how to interface the radio to the user. That's still true today. At least when it comes to portable radios.
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2013, 4:17 PM

In Harris defense, their engineers made OpenSky work. I am confident in our Harris OpenSky system. It's not the best system but I have an earpiece in every day from my P7200 and maybe once or twice a shift I'll hear a cruddy call ( usually portable being used in doors)

Sometimes a few words echo. But the signal quality is good.
Now we have something like 35 high profile towers and 11 cell sites in the county, but that's just to have good in building portable coverage.

I like OpenSky for its privacy. Sorry to report our OpenSky system works and we will have it for years to come.

PA's system sucks due to the terrain, not the technology.
Old 11-27-2013, 4:47 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayn1n32008 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

They ARE rebranded Hytera radios!!! You replyed early on in this thread stating so... 5th post in the thread stating they are rebanded Hytera radios...

Yeah, exactly.... That was sort of my point, even though it had been said, it was said again, and again and again.....
Old 11-27-2013, 4:51 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Air View Post
In Harris defense, their engineers made OpenSky work. I am confident in our Harris OpenSky system. It's not the best system but I have an earpiece in every day from my P7200 and maybe once or twice a shift I'll hear a cruddy call ( usually portable being used in doors)

Sometimes a few words echo. But the signal quality is good.
Now we have something like 35 high profile towers and 11 cell sites in the county, but that's just to have good in building portable coverage.

I like OpenSky for its privacy. Sorry to report our OpenSky system works and we will have it for years to come.

PA's system sucks due to the terrain, not the technology.

Nope. Radio systems do not "suck" because of terrain, radio system "suck" because of improper implementation of technology. A case in point related to terrain, the old Arkansas statewide system was originally quoted with XX sites, but the state can back and said, we don't need all those towers.. If you don't have enough towers to cover the terrain, the use, etc, then somewhere along the line the technology has been improperly implemented.

Any terrain can be overcome, it is dependent on the system to do so.
Old 11-27-2013, 5:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhere300 View Post
Nope. Radio systems do not "suck" because of terrain, radio system "suck" because of improper implementation of technology. A case in point related to terrain, the old Arkansas statewide system was originally quoted with XX sites, but the state can back and said, we don't need all those towers.. If you don't have enough towers to cover the terrain, the use, etc, then somewhere along the line the technology has been improperly implemented.

Any terrain can be overcome, it is dependent on the system to do so.

Kudos LOL

Last edited by productionguy85; 11-27-2013 at 5:06 PM..
Old 11-27-2013, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhere300 View Post
Any terrain can be overcome, it is dependent on the engineer to do so.
Fixed it for you....