RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum

Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum For general discussion of MA/COM EDACS and ProVoice systems, including equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 3:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Exclamation New Harris Momentum Series Radios

I assume this not another Open Sky format. The ad says it will work with other vendor's radio.

Harris PSPC
Old 11-21-2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brey1234 View Post
I assume this not another Open Sky format. The ad says it will work with other vendor's radio.

Harris PSPC
Just another Mototrbo competitor. Poor poor Harris, can't fall behind the DMR times. Its sad that Harris can't except that Motorola is better and that they need some new technology to compete.

BTW, just to clarify, I am referring Harris Radios & Communications, NOT Harris TV/ Radio Broadcasting equipment, which is some of the best out there. LOL
Old 11-21-2013, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brey1234 View Post

Harris PSPC
Nope, not even remotely close to Broken Sky. It's DMR (same as Mototrbo and Nexedge).

Edit: productionguy85 beat me to it :-)
Old 11-21-2013, 4:25 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It's the DMR open standard format, which is the same format used by Motorola's Mototrbo. So Harris has decided to compete in the low-cost digital market.
Old 11-21-2013, 4:26 PM

Sorry
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2013, 4:28 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPD730 View Post
Nope, not even remotely close to Broken Sky. It's DMR (same as Mototrbo and Nexedge).

Edit: productionguy85 beat me to it :-)

Nexedge is NOT DMR.

the Harris product is simply Hytera radios rebranded. They have been doing this for a while now. The Hytera product being DMR will talk to TRBO, and the other brands that offer DMR such as Tait, but they will not talk to nexedge/IDAS
Old 11-21-2013, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhere300 View Post
Nexedge is NOT DMR.

the Harris product is simply Hytera radios rebranded. They have been doing this for a while now. The Hytera product being DMR will talk to TRBO, and the other brands that offer DMR such as Tait, but they will not talk to nexedge/IDAS
You're absolutely right. Nexedge uses the NXDN CAI and operates in FDMA (completely opposite of TRBO). I stand corrected.
Old 11-21-2013, 6:50 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Radio's look like Hyteras with Harris logo.
Old 11-21-2013, 7:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

They should just call this the ME2 series (Me, too!) and be done with it.
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2013, 8:24 PM

Default NEW HARRIS SERIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by szron View Post
They are exactly that

Sent from an unknown place...
Old 11-21-2013, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by productionguy85 View Post
Just another Mototrbo competitor. Poor poor Harris, can't fall behind the DMR times. Its sad that Harris can't except that Motorola is better and that they need some new technology to compete.

BTW, just to clarify, I am referring Harris Radios & Communications, NOT Harris TV/ Radio Broadcasting equipment, which is some of the best out there. LOL
Umm what does Motorola make that is better than a PRC-117G or PRC-152 ? I think you should rethink your statement.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:31 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by szron View Post

probably, because as I posted above, they are the Hytera radio rebranded to Harris.......
Old 11-22-2013, 10:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default these are Hytera DMR radios that Harris is rebranding

These are Hytera DMR radios that Harris is rebranding.
Old 11-22-2013, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by productionguy85 View Post
New tech? You mean like VIDA, Network First, multi-mode transcoders and mobile and portable multi-band radios covering VHF-800MHz? I deal with radios from many vendors every day for a living and can tell you first hand that Harris makes hight quality products (as does Motorola).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 AM

Talking

OK, everybody just calm down... LOL. First off, Harris does make (good) tactical radios, I have never used the tactical models, excet for a 30min demo, so I can't grade those, except from what I have been told and read. As for as my original post, and "new technology" I was referring to was whatever "digital voice coding" the new line will run. As well as Harris getting into the DMR market, as another member posted. I have used both Harris and Motorola on analog and P25 system, and all around I like Motorola better. I know there are many variables that attribute to how a radio/ system work and sound. But thats a different post... I am sorry to say that I am a BRANDIST and I will always prefer Motorola over Harris, EF Johnson, Kenwood, ect. The first step is to admit that I have a problem which I have done, so please get me the help I need to overcome this Motorola Addiction. That is all
Sponsored links

Old 11-23-2013, 1:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The Harris Momentums are re-badged Hytera PD782 (portables) and mobiles. They are excellent products. I use a high site Hytera DMR repeater everyday that sounds just as good as any Motorola XPR repeater.

Harris would not put their name on crap. And the Momentums are nothing new, Harris has been selling them since 2011/2012.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
Harris would not put their name on crap.
Don't mean to nitpick, however that's not accurate. Look at OpenSky, OpenSky2 and (State Of) Florida "SLERS" system.
Old 11-23-2013, 4:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The OpenSky series is Harris by merger only. They were GE, MA/COM, AMP, Tyco and then Harris.
Old 11-23-2013, 4:27 PM

OpenSky is actually a good solid technology for what it was designed for (ie non-mission critical and data heavy). Sadly under M/A-Com it was pushed as a public safety solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2013, 1:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

OpenSky was developed by AMP Wireless systems specifically for FedEx to use as the RF link in a real-time package tracking system. It does work well for that purpose.

But adapting it for use as a reliable digital voice communications system has quite clearly been demonstrated to be problematic at best.

When Harris bought the radio business from M/A-Com, Harris specifically did NOT buy any part of the business relating to the OpenSky systems that had failed to deliver in such a dramatic manner than the states involved sued M/A--Com.

But there have been so many OS failures that I can't recall which state it was that brought the suit that was so big Harris said "We will have no part of your lawsuit, M/A-Com."

The list of OpenSky failures and major complaint reads almost exactly like the list of OpenSky systems installed.

Really, if Harris truly wants to do the smart thing, they would convert all those OpenSky systems over to P25 and at the lowest cost possible to the company that doesn't result in a net loss.

I don't think OpenSky has much of a future.