• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P5400 No Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Ello ello

Iv got a Macom P5400 radio.
I have about 5 batteries and all hold charge and no problems with them.
The radio however will not power up.

Is there a fuse or spot on the board i can check to see if that has been blown or what not or anythign on the boards them self to have a peek at to see if there is a issue there or not?

When i power it up nothing happens on the screen and no sounds when i push buttons either

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
If you hook it up to a power supply that can tell you how much current is being drawn, do you see any current being drawn when you power it up? If so, how does the current change over time?

Muxlow

Super Secret
I took a peek inside the case and connected the battery and used my Fluke 1520 MegOhMeter on the board where it connects to the battery. Its showing 8V on the 2 outside pins and 7 on the center

LMR_Dude

F401, is the fuse you are talking about. Looking your picture it is between the two battery contacts on the right. It is horizontal and near TP 202 (which is the battery monitor point). I suspect that the left side of fuse is the load side so check for voltage there.

Happy hunting.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Here is a little better shot. Im not seeing any of these numbers on the board.

If youd be so kind to circle them?

Iv checked the first horizontal fuse to the left of the battery pin and it had voltage. The next fuse that is vertical was fine too, the larger vertical one i got no reading

Were these the correct ones to check?

Attachments

• DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

LMR_Dude

I've circled F401. The other components nearest it are a coil, cap and a diode. Just check F401 and leave them be.

That circle, left and low, as viewed from your second picture is TP 202, the test point for measuring voltage FROM the battery. If you have 7.5 VDC there then your battery and battery contacts are good. If you have 7.5 VDC on the OTHER side of F401 then you have more digging to do.

Attachments

• DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 138

LMR_Dude

Check for voltage on the other side of F401 now by placing your probe on the contact pad of the diode to the right of the fuse. Its larger so you have a better chance of making solid contact and not damaging F401.

Ive also circled TP203, BATT GND, these points will give you solid contact.

Attachments

• DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 134

Muxlow

Super Secret
When i connect my meter to the left contact pin from the battery and the otherside to the F401 i get a reading of 8 from both sides

Last edited:

LMR_Dude

Try chassis grnd for the neg probe just to be certain.

You can also try this now that you have ID's both sides of F401.

WARNING: REMOVE THE BATTERY

Set the meter to measure continuity and verify if the fuse is blown. One probe to TP 202 and the other to the diode. This test is not the greatest since the fuse is still in circuit but infinite ohms is a indication of a blown fuse while something close to zero generally indicates a good fuse. Checking components in circuit is tricky so that why I went with you looking for volts first.

LMR_Dude

I don't understand "buzz". Your meters indication of continuity?

With one probe on TP202 and the other on the diode, what does you meter read in ohms?

Attachments

• DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 141
Status
Not open for further replies.