• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Just learning, Orion NewB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0ezq

Premium Subscriber
After running Motorola and Kenwood stuff forever. Ive decided to try to get a Dual Radio, Single Control Head Orion setup running. I have only seen one or two of them, and never actually played with one.

I know I want a a 440-470mhz 110w Drawer, a 136-150mhz 110w drawer, a system control head, a dual radio cable, and the normal power and control cables.

I have already purchased a 40w UHF (D2PMG4) setup that has a NOS systems head and cables and have found a 110w 440-470 (D2UHG7). But I can only found a 150-174mhz (D2HHCX) drawer.

I have read that the Orions dont do well out of band, so is a 150-174 able to be moved down to 146? I have also read that the firmware needs to be the same version to work properly, but cant find information on updating firmware anywhere.

Also, I am having problems finding a programming cable for them.

If any of you can help me out, I would appreciate the help! I have tried to find a turn key setup, but I guess I am going to try to piece it together to make it work..

Thanks

Tim B.

DisasterGuy

You will indeed want the low split. The 150 split will not go to 2 meters. Firmware is locked up on Harris' TechLink for people that subscribe to FX (expensive).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timkilbride

Database Admin
If you can afford to lose the top end of a 150-174 radio, you can adjust the VCO so it will go down to 144mhz. I did some for a whole county and my fleet as well. I do know mine will work 144 up to the WX channels at 162.XXX with a 150-174 split radio doing the VCO adjustment. Basically you need to join the GE-Orion yahoogroup and do some reading.

Tim

timkilbride

Database Admin
Everything you will need will show up on eBay at some point. With the dual radio cable probably being last. Everything else is probably on there right now. Some Orion's go for $10, buy those for spares and hope it comes with a good firmware or other features. My first ever UHF Orion came with AEGIS board installed and working. How lucky!

Tim

mancow

Database Admin
Everything you will need will show up on eBay at some point. With the dual radio cable probably being last. Everything else is probably on there right now. Some Orion's go for $10, buy those for spares and hope it comes with a good firmware or other features. My first ever UHF Orion came with AEGIS board installed and working. How lucky!

Tim

I still need to get you those pics of the cables. Been busy with work. I have three more of the same radios too.

jparks29

John McClane
You will indeed want the low split. The 150 split will not go to 2 meters. Firmware is locked up on Harris' TechLink for people that subscribe to FX (expensive).

Not true.. But they can be finicky...

I've had multiple high split orions moved to 144 without issue..

I've also had multiple high split orions that refuse to move down past 146..

I have noticed that the newer 512k, switchable (narrowband) units are the ones that usually go out of band, and the older 256k non-switchable units do pretty poorly..

YMMV

timkilbride

Database Admin
Not true.. But they can be finicky...

I've had multiple high split orions moved to 144 without issue..

I've also had multiple high split orions that refuse to move down past 146..

I have noticed that the newer 512k, switchable (narrowband) units are the ones that usually go out of band, and the older 256k non-switchable units do pretty poorly..

YMMV

I have never had a issue getting either a 256k or 512k down to 144mhz. Like you said, the 512k radio's do so without hassle. On some of my 256k radio's, they will re-boot around 3 times and then finally lock. I have since phased out all my VHF Orion's and went with VHF M7100's.

Tim

DisasterGuy

Interesting, it has been a while since I have attempted but I was never able to get a high split to perform acceptable down to 144 due to filtering. It had VERY poor sensitivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.