• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Direct Frequency Entry and TextLink

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDRadioguy777

Is Direct Frequency Entry in Harris Radios only for conventional mode?

Also, anyone familiar TextLink? Does it required preprogrammed messages or can you type a message if you have a system model radio?

Thank you.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
Direct Frequency Entry(option 34), only works on conventional mode. You can change voice mode(analog or digital(P25) if supported), RX and TX values as well as TPL/DPL/NAC tones and such.

As for TextLink, I believe it requires preprogrammed messages using RPM. I haven't been able to test it.

Is Direct Frequency Entry in Harris Radios only for conventional mode?

Also, anyone familiar TextLink? Does it required preprogrammed messages or can you type a message if you have a system model radio?

Thank you.

FDRadioguy777

Thank you for sharing that information with me. I played around with TextLink a little bit and it seems like preprogrammed messages are required from what I found. Also, do you know, is there a limit on how many frequencies you can add using Direct Frequency Entry (option 34)? Thanks.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
You can modify any existing conventional frequency that has been preprogrammed using RPM. Example, the 800mhz interop frequencies that most radios have. You can edit those to your liking.

Thank you for sharing that information with me. I played around with TextLink a little bit and it seems like preprogrammed messages are required from what I found. Also, do you know, is there a limit on how many frequencies you can add using Direct Frequency Entry (option 34)? Thanks.

FDRadioguy777

So it sounds like I can only modify the amount frequencies that are already programmed in there instead of adding them? Thanks.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You can edit ONE at a time. Once you edit a frequency, the radio display changes to "CUSTOM" for that channel. If you edit another frequency, the original one that you modified goes back to its original programming. It really does suck for an FPP option, but it does great for just a one-time edit until you can get back to the computer to program that frequency in on its own channel.

FDRadioguy777

Yeah, it sounds a little different than the Motorola FPP. But I have heard it is pretty rare in a Harris radio so I guess it is a bonus.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I bought it for an M7100 that I had a few years ago. It was only $105 and did good for what it was. Now, it's like pulling teeth to get them to sell me that option. I should know something next week if Harris will allow me to have it - again...

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I went through a dealer to buy DFE and P25 conventional in 2008. I inquired and had the FEC in my email inbox shortly after I paid. NOW, I'm having to go through a different dealer who is asking a bunch of questions as to why I need either of the requested features. I keep telling him that we have a mixed-mode P25 repeater in my area and I'd like to have the DFE so if another ham asks me to go to a frequency that I don't have programmed, I can quickly change an existing channel so we can talk.

His argument is that, "Well, with DFE, you will be able to put any frequency in the radio." And I responded that I have the software and can program in anything I want anyway. DFE is just a temporary solution for a one-time edit. It is NOT like Motorola's FPP. If I could FPP an XTL5000, then I'd throw this M7100 back on Ebay where it came from.

FDRadioguy777

Yeah that makes sense. I hear Harris is really limiting who they do business with. But I definitely agree with you that it should not be a big deal especially because you have the software.

mancow

Database Admin
I went through a dealer to buy DFE and P25 conventional in 2008. I inquired and had the FEC in my email inbox shortly after I paid. NOW, I'm having to go through a different dealer who is asking a bunch of questions as to why I need either of the requested features. I keep telling him that we have a mixed-mode P25 repeater in my area and I'd like to have the DFE so if another ham asks me to go to a frequency that I don't have programmed, I can quickly change an existing channel so we can talk.

His argument is that, "Well, with DFE, you will be able to put any frequency in the radio." And I responded that I have the software and can program in anything I want anyway. DFE is just a temporary solution for a one-time edit. It is NOT like Motorola's FPP. If I could FPP an XTL5000, then I'd throw this M7100 back on Ebay where it came from.

BK DMH with a programming microphone, perhaps? They don't have fancy displays but they work well and the field programming is the tits.

Status
Not open for further replies.