• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Public Address Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techholder88

I cannot seem to get or find a straight answer on this, I have multiple Orion Radios (and a few M7100ip radios) that I could use as a public address system. I have heard that you can use the mic on the Radio to transmit your voice to the external speaker (Just like your typical (pick your manufacturer) Siren system).

What I cannot seem to find a straight answer is how do I hook up the external speaker to use this function. Does this have to connect to a Federal Signal Smart Siren? I know that you need a Smart Siren to activate the lights and siren by pressing buttons on the radio, but other than turning the PA feature on and talking through the mike how do you use the public address function?

Big question, Is the public address system amplified within the radio or is it done externally?

Assuming the feature is enabled in the feature string how would I enable it in the programming other than enabling the option in the menu or setting a button to activate it? (using Programmer)

I have all kinds of option cables but it would be good to know if one cable is more or less capable than the other.

Any help is appreciated.

harrisradios

I have been meaning to try this setup for a while. I have been told you need to hook the siren amplifier to the radio using an option cable. (It sounds like the sound is amplified outside the radio) I can't remember off the top of my head which option cable is required. I believe you will need to set the PA function as a menu option. You might be able to use a button for that feature if you have a System Head on the radio. I hope this helps.

Techholder88

This certainly helps, I seemed to be getting the same answer from P25.ca forums in that the sound is amplified outside of the radio. I figured that you would have to enable the option in the programming and activate it for use. I was thinking that you would need the extended options cable (the one with the 25 pin cable) in order to activate it. Maybe when I get some time I can figure out what pin enables it.

harrisradios

If you do find out which pin it is would you please let me know because I have been meaning to try this setup for quite some time. I have also been told it can be done with the 500M. Thank you.

Techholder88

Now if only I can get some time off work to tinker with this...

This was posted on another forum::

The PA and EXTERNAL SPEAKER functions work in one of two ways.

1-Direct Operation:
The radio's internal 15 WATT audio amp can be used to feed audio to an external speaker. How is works in the simple form is to toggle the radio's speaker audio from the inside (vehicle) speaker to an outside speaker, via a relay, which is controlled with one of the two AUX OUTPUTS on the Orion/J725m/M7100 radio. (The E500m only has one AUX OUTPUT.) The AUX OUTPUTS are a simple open collector output from a switching transistor.

In the programming software, map a free button on the control head for either PA, EXT SPKR (external speaker), or both. Next, go into the EXTERNAL SPEAKER OPTIONS screen in the software, make sure the boxes are checked for the desired operation, which external output you will be using (1 or 2), and whether you are wiring the relay for active High or active Low. Connect the relay and speaker, and program the radio to support the new operation.

2-Siren/Light Controller Operation:
The allows the use of the Federal SS-2000-GE siren/light control box, and gives you 100 watts of audio. Same mapping on the control head. But in the EXTERNAL SPEAKER OPTIONS screen, you use external output 7 instead of 1 or 2. Connect the high output speaker and SS-2000-GE box, and program the radio to support the new operation. [WARNING: this high output can cause damage to hearing. Use caution when testing.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.