• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

is it possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt6488

Premium Subscriber
i have several ge orions, im wanting to link two of them tougether and make a vhf repeater

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Anything is possible with enough caffeine, duct tape and super glue.

But really, I don't see why not. the DB37 port has a plethora of signalling pins by default, should be able to cross them over to make a basic repeater. In fact, you can cheat and just use the Pyramid SVR-200 repeaters and have them do the work for you. Their schematics would be a great place to start for pins and signalling.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I rock a SVR on my 800 edacs orion and M7300. Works great for TX and RX

All the pinouts are on the SVR website

DisasterGuy

I have built a portable "tac stack" multi band interop repeater using orions but just remember there is a lot more to making a repeater than hooking up COR to PTT. In standard repeater service you will need an external repeater controller, duplexer and an external PA. It is typically cheaper (when you account for all those things) to purchase a purpose built repeater.

ffemt6488

Premium Subscriber
im building the repeater for a local public works dept , it will have a duplexer and a seperate controller just having a hard time finding imfo as far as pinouts

DisasterGuy

Everything you need to do what you propose is included in the attachment here. Just remember that the Orion has a 80/20 duty cycle. I would recommend that you pull the PA on the Orion back to low power and use a 100% duty cycle external PA to achieve whatever TPO/ERP you are licensed for.

The reality really is (IMHO) that while the Orion's are pretty solid radios they are out of factory support and by the time you purchase an external duplexer, 100% duty PA and controller you could pretty much just purchase a Hyterra / Momentum 1RU repeater with internal duplexer.

Attachments

• Harris Mobile Radios - Interfacing External Audio Devices.pdf
    347.8 KB · Views: 1,044
Last edited:

ffemt6488

Premium Subscriber
At this point I agree buy newer I found a set that has 100 watt repeater with built in duplexer,6 walkies, and 150ft of coax for 1500. But im just setting them up for a local public works dpt . They dont even have a fcc licence yet im still waiting to see what freqs there going to have befor I get to much more in depth.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Shouldn't be hard to do if you really want to use Orions. I'm using a Orion as a RX unit in a one-way x-band repeater setup. However the other radio isn't an Orion.

You will need to mess with the Programable I/O in ProGrammer. All needed connections are on the DB37 like Adam stated.

I have been wanting to do this same project, but with no suitable duplexer for a .600 split in my possession I haven't got very far with it.

Tim

DisasterGuy

It really is pretty easy. We had the old Motorola machine for our RACES repeater take its final breath a while back and used an Orion and M7100 exactly as discussed here until the Mastr III went in.

ffemt6488

Premium Subscriber
i accuired a CDM750 moto im in the prosses of getting another to hook up back to back im thinking thats going to be the easiest way and connect them with a RICK controller and a duplexer

DisasterGuy

You will have the same issue with a CDM as the Orion related to sensitivity, selectivity and duty cycle. Also the RICK isn't a real controller so you still lack the ability to deal with management and legal issues such as regulatory ID. You can theoretically do the same thing with the Orion by just connecting the AUX out (COR) of the receiver to the AUX in (PTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.