• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris Master III GStar Identifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post. I have basic knowledge of my system, but I'm not a tech.

We have a Harris Master III repeater, and mainly Kenwood subscriber units (mine is a TK-3180 portable). We use GStar for the radio identifiers. It causes an audible data burst at the end of each transmission. It is quite annoying and loud, and some officers say it is the reason they don't use ear buds. Our local radio shop says that there is nothing they can do...with the radio identifier, the burst has to be there. The only option is either before or after the transmission.

I came from a Motorola 800 trunked radio system, and we didn't hear the data bursts, even though they were there.

Is this a fact with the Harris Master III? Can anyone point me in the right direction to correct this if possible?

Thanks,

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
This has nothing to do with the Master III. It has to do with the Kenwood radios. The DOS feature (data operated squelch) is in the subscribers. If they do not support that feature, there is no way to not hear the ID. You can look in to using MDC1200 instead

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
You could look at setting the GSTAR ID to send after the STE is sent (or the Kenwood equivalent) that way the ID would be sent after the tone is reversed and dropped, essentially muting the audio on the repeater just before the ID fires. Only caveat would be if the system requires the ID to be on the output of the repeater, then you don't have a choice.

systech456

Set the GESTAR to the beginning of the transmission, instead of at the end.
Have the radio shop MSEDIT the M3 to perform a timed mute of the repeat audio at the beginning of each field transmission. In the systems I work with we mute for ~600ms at the start of each field transmission, this results in nearly perfect audio without the annoying squawks. The downside is a radio without ID turned on will clip the first 600ms.

A second option is to get a Cimmaron Model CPLUS 1,2, or 3 decoder.
This decoder can be set to provide a logic output while it is decoding GESTAR signalling packets, this output can be fed into the M3 and by programming can be set to mute the repeat audio path while this input is active. This would allow you to keep the trailing ID's, this also will not clip a radio without ID.

Good luck!!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The Kenwood radios indeed do not have "data operated squelch" such that Motorola has, but they do the receive mute thing at the begining of a transmission for an adjustable time. As systech456 said, put the data at the beginning and use the timed mute either in the repeater or the radios. Crank the time back until it just covers the data burst. This is probably you're best bet.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I do love that GE-STAR screech sound.. miss it.

/offtopic

Status
Not open for further replies.