• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris Encryption Part or All

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
My local government is moving from an EDACS to Harris P25 Phase II 5 site. Since the PD want to go to full encryption, I was told that the whole system has to be encrypted not partial encrypted.

So a Harris P25 Phase II 5 site can not be partial encrypted?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Encryption can be enabled on a talkgroup by talkgroup and/or user by user basis.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Talk groups can be encrypted on a talk group by talk group basis.

I have no idea what the other poster means by data will have to be encrypted, but the control channel will be unencrypted and talk groups encrypted on a talk group by talk group basis.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Everything will function like a normal P25 system, just the talkgroups with encryption will change. There is currently nothing in the P25 spec that allows for encryption or otherwise obfuscation of the control channel. Data over the P25 network can be encrypted as well i believe, but that would typically be MDT or GPS data.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
As far as Harris systems go, they have two ways to implement encryption. 1) System wide - End Users have no access to turn on/off encryption, or 2) User Selectable - Users can turn on/off encryption at will on a case by case basis per talkgroup.

The system that we use is system wide. End users have no control on whether or not they want to use encryption as it is always on and cannot be turned off.

DisasterGuy

Rescue161 is close but still not quite there. Talkgroups are encrypted on a per talkgroup basis (but that can be all talkgroups). Additionally, radios can ne programmed to allow encryption to be toggled, forced on or a combination of the two.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Yes, that is true, but it can be implemented system wide, as in all TGs, which is the way our system is set up. If the system is set up for system wide encryption, then even if the radio is programmed to toggle on/off the encryption, transmissions will still be encrypted no matter which position the switch is in.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Most systems are setup to have just talkgroups encrypted. On systems that have system wide encryption almost always you will see mutual aid style TDMA talkgroups for interop. Usually when their system wide encryption too all talkgroups that are encrypted will share 4-5 encryption key ID's/keys. Systems that operate by talkgroup to talkgroup with encryption can still hear clear voice but can only transmit data and their voice VIA encrypted voice. That is common on my state-wide talkgroup (NJICS). A person running encryption will attempted to key into a conversation between two people in the clear. The people in the clear only hear encrypted voice packets but the person whose encrypted can hear it clear as well. It's weird but sometimes that's how it works

Status
Not open for further replies.