• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P7200 goes into CC scan too often

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I have a P7200 with some sort of reception issue. The radio often goes into CC scan where it shouldn't. This is occurring with multiple systems.

For comparison, I have a second P7200 using the exact same personality and the receive is just fine. The offending radio will still go into CC scan within intended coverage areas.

I swapped antennas and the issue still exists with offending radio. I haven't opened the radio, but the exterior looks like it just came from the factory.

Anything to look into before I send to my shop for a diagnostic?

harrisradios

A lot of the P7200 radios have encountered problems with the synthesizer. The synthesizer module is not part of the main board inside the radio. It's a design flaw that can cause many issues with the P7200's. If that's the case it will have to be shipped back to Harris.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
A lot of the P7200 radios have encountered problems with the synthesizer. The synthesizer module is not part of the main board inside the radio. It's a design flaw that can cause many issues with the P7200's. If that's the case it will have to be shipped back to Harris.

Will do, thanks.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Not only that, but the P7200 has an improperly designed receiver front end, which makes the preamp transistors susceptible to ESD damage by static electricity entering through the antenna.

Which is really stupid. It does not speak well for the competence of the individual(s) who designed the front end of the P7200.

The symptom of this problem is low receiver sensitivity that can't be tuned up.

It's the reason why the 7200 is a rare radio to find still in service. Too many of them blew up from this problem.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I sent it in to a shop to see what they can do, if anything.

Good information as always folks.

Perhaps I should upgrade to a 7300.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Mine's doing it as well on the P7170 works fine when scanning or listening to a specific channel/talkgroup then it goes to CC scan then quickly goes back to the talkgroup I was listening to.

wanabe

Premium Subscriber
I sent it in to a shop to see what they can do, if anything.

Good information as always folks.

Perhaps I should upgrade to a 7300.

Ryan, If you don't mind me asking, where would you get a P7300? Especially one with a Phase 2 TDMA string. I've been looking high and low for one. Although I am not sure they can be downgraded from RPM to ProGrammer 20. I've also got a P7100 with P25 enabled but would like the TDMA enabled P7300.Thanks.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Ryan, If you don't mind me asking, where would you get a P7300? Especially one with a Phase 2 TDMA string. I've been looking high and low for one. Although I am not sure they can be downgraded from RPM to ProGrammer 20. I've also got a P7100 with P25 enabled but would like the TDMA enabled P7300.Thanks.

I think it's highly unlikely to find one on eBay anytime soon so you pretty much will have to pony up for a new one from a dealer. In addition, paying the full price to add every single feature you need.

Apparently, the P7200 may have TDMA capability via an update this year so I'm kind of waiting to see if that happens or if I see any used P7300's show up.

I almost bought a Unity but I still need EDACS and Provoice capabilities for at least the next year or so.

snoopyII

ProGrammer 20 and P7300's dont mix. The software way to old and doesnt support it. You're going to be into RPM 7 or 8sh to program a P7300.

snoopyII

I think it's highly unlikely to find one on eBay anytime soon so you pretty much will have to pony up for a new one from a dealer. In addition, paying the full price to add every single feature you need.

Apparently, the P7200 may have TDMA capability via an update this year so I'm kind of waiting to see if that happens or if I see any used P7300's show up.

A handful of P7300's have popped up, but they're pricey, expect to pay between $500 and $700. eBay is a funny animal though, I've seen them sit on there for several auction cycles, and I've seen them go on buy now in a matter of hours.

I've heard the same about the P7200's, supposedly with the release of XGP5 later this year, they will support TDMA.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I have a P7370 and an M5300, both with Phase II TDMA enabled. Interestingly enough, I got that feature via a mistake!

I requested P25 conventional and somebody got their wires crossed and they sent me the string with Phase II in it. OK, fine, I'll take it! And then decided not to even worry about getting P25 conventional or Phase 1.

Would I sell either radio?

Not cheaply!

The M7300 is a dual control head setup. One on the radio, one remote head.

They make very nice scanners.

And, no, the x300 and newer radios don't use programmer. RPM only.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

I almost bought a Unity but I still need EDACS and Provoice capabilities for at least the next year or so.

P7200 Phase 2 XGP firmware is available now, and yes you need at a minimum RPM 10 (XGP firmware is tied to specific RPM releases).

harrisradios

I would maybe look for a P5500 radio as they are capable of P25 Phase II TDMA as well. They are very similar to the P7300's and you might be able to get a better price on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.