• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris XG-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfab

I am spec-ing out 1-2 800mhz portables for my tech rescue team (to be used for mutual aid coordination, we primarily operate on VHF) and I was introduced to the new Harris XG-15. The dealer I've been speaking with doesn't have any to demo, so I've just been researching online.

Does anyone have any experience using these radios? Or similar Harris radios? Any pros/cons/thoughts/ideas?

Thank you!

harrisradios

For technical rescue operations I would personally go with the XG-75P because it is a much more ruggedized radio. The XG-15P is really meant for public service positions such as city maintenance personnel, snow plow drivers, school districts, etc. You mentioned you are specking out 800MHz radios but you primarily operate on VHF. As you probably know the XG-15P is a single band radio. It operates on 800MHz Conventional Analog, P25 Conventional, P25 Trunking, and P25 Trunking Phase II TDMA. I personally like Harris because all the radios operate pretty much the same way.

FDRadioguy777

I just wanted to add that the XG-15P operates in the following bands as well: VHF, UHF-H and 700/800 MHz. The XG-75P is also a single band radio but it is a lot more durable and better for public safety.

jfab

Thank you both for your feedback. I should have mentioned that this radio will only be utilized in the command post by our command officers to Liaison between the 800mhz agencies and our agency. So, durability isn't as big of an issue as it would be if it was being used on the line.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
If you're shopping at that price point, you may want to check out Tait gear. A few agencies on DTRS are using those radios and they're not half bad - I think Park County is one of the users of those radios. A bit different than Motorola for programming, but they sound and behave well on the system.

Also don't forget to verify that the model of radio you're looking at is on the list of CCNC authorized equipment.

jfab

I am demoing a Tait TP9435 this week hopefully. Our rep has said good things about it and said Lafayette, CO FD uses them and likes them a lot.

FDRadioguy777

For command personnel the XG-15 will probably work fine. The price is pretty good for P25 Phase II TDMA.

freeonfreak

Premium Subscriber
The XG-15 addresses the sub-$1000 P25T Phase I radio market. Featured with Phase II will go for around $1500 with contracting pricing. That includes Radio, Li-On Battery, 1/4 wave Antenna, Tri-Chem Charger, Belt Clip, Single Key DES, and 512 System/Groups.

I've been testing the heck out of it and it performs functionally just as well as the XG-75P. However, keep in mind the XG-75P has immersion and Noise Cancellation built in. Just got some in for demo direct thru the Harris Sales rep. I don't think dealers have it yet. I have (4) now.

TDR-94

You can't view the actual Key info.That would be a security risk. The manual is referring to viewing the Key name to select a key loaded in the radio.

TDR-94

That would be a Key "dump" to remove all keys from the radio if there was risk of the radio being used by an unauthorized user.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I'd give my strongest recommendation to a Motorola product unless there is a compelling reason why you have to stick with Harris, such as the radio being part of a Harris proprietary system.

For a single band radio, look at the APX1000, 4000, or 6000, depending on budget and additional requirements.

I use Harris radios on a daily basis. Motorola, too. If I were buying the radio, whether it was coming out of my own pocket or I was making recommendations for a department, in either case I'd recommend Motorola first.

freeonfreak

Premium Subscriber
You need to catch up on the McClatchy reports. Remember, it's the taxpayers money and they deserve their due diligence. Explain to a town-hall meeting why you would spend $1,800 on a APX1000 when an XG-15 is superior and it's $800 less, $3K on a APX4000 when the XG-25P is far superior for $2,200, and $5K on a APX6000 when the XG-75P outperforms it for $3,800. Then think of all the change orders with schmioto.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I was not aware of the pricing differences. I could now make a snarky comment like "Oh well, you get what you pay for" but actually that doesn't apply in this case because both Harris and Motorola mark up their radios to stupendous levels, contract price vs. actual manufacturing cost.

Nonetheless, I have yet to encounter a single case where any Harris (or other GE legacy branded radio) was all-around superior to the comparable Motorola products of the same vintage. Maybe the Harris (GE) radios had certain attributes in which they were better, but in general terms, my considered professional opinion as a radio tech servicing all brands, and as a user of them as well, is that Motorola makes the superior overall product. However, that being said, when Harris bought out Tyco, they started a product improvement program that seems to have worked quite well. Harris IS closing the techology gap and Motorola better figure that out FAST.

The P7300 I use on a daily basis is not even equal in quality and performance to any of my XTS5000s, and my M5300 has not shown itself to be as good a radio as an XTL5000. Motorola simply does it better. Not saying the Harris radios are bad. Actually they're very good. But if there's only one crown for one king, Motorola still wears it.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
I was not aware of the pricing differences. I could now make a snarky comment like "Oh well, you get what you pay for" but actually that doesn't apply in this case because both Harris and Motorola mark up their radios to stupendous levels, contract price vs. actual manufacturing cost.

Nonetheless, I have yet to encounter a single case where any Harris (or other GE legacy branded radio) was all-around superior to the comparable Motorola products of the same vintage. Maybe the Harris (GE) radios had certain attributes in which they were better, but in general terms, my considered professional opinion as a radio tech servicing all brands, and as a user of them as well, is that Motorola makes the superior overall product. However, that being said, when Harris bought out Tyco, they started a product improvement program that seems to have worked quite well. Harris IS closing the techology gap and Motorola better figure that out FAST.

Harris corporation has massive contracts with the government. More then just radios too. Cell-phone jammers, black-listed projects and prototypes. Their outreach for stuff like that expands Motorola. Motorola targets more of a consumer market. You don't see Harris retail radios? Most likely you probably wouldn't either. Just not their gig...

Motorola I think has better setup for Public Safety and their needs when it comes to radios. Harris is starting to flood certain markets now in regards to that, but still Motorola is more integrated YTD with their equipment overall.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I'm quite familiar with Harris Corporation outside of their public safety division. Harris Corporate Headquarters and several Harris manufacturing and R&D facilities are within a 20 minute drive of where I live. (Melbourne/Palm Bay area) Some of the products they make should be absolutely banned from being turned on within the borders of the USA, such as their cell site impersonation devices, which law enforcement may argue are necessary, but I vehemently disagree. The people should not be under any form of routine surveillance, period. If a person is to be watched, let it be an individual case with individual warrants authorizing targeted surveillance.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
I'm quite familiar with Harris Corporation outside of their public safety division. Harris Corporate Headquarters and several Harris manufacturing and R&D facilities are within a 20 minute drive of where I live. (Melbourne/Palm Bay area) Some of the products they make should be absolutely banned from being turned on within the borders of the USA, such as their cell site impersonation devices, which law enforcement may argue are necessary, but I vehemently disagree. The people should not be under any form of routine surveillance, period. If a person is to be watched, let it be an individual case with individual warrants authorizing targeted surveillance.

Not to tange off the forum topic but... yeah your right and just like working for the NSA and jobs with top secret security clearances even their employees are forbidden about talking about it or discussing those black listed projects/equipment..

Status
Not open for further replies.