• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M/A-COM P5100 CC Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
Today I programmed a p5100 for the first time. I got the conventional part down pretty good. But I'm having trouble programming the edacs trunked systems in my area. When I get everything set and write it to the radio it says "CC SCAN". I'm programming them for receive only. I have found the control channels for each of the sites by listening to the scanner.
I'm used to programming scanners by LCN's. So when I put the frequencies in I put them in, in that order. Is that where I messed up, and if so, how do I correct it.
I know I'm not "out of range" because I live 2 blocks away from the tower site.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
If the correct control channel frequency is in the trunked frequency list, and the site ID number is correct, then you should get some traffic and not CC SCAN. But if the trunked frequency set list is not correct, you'll get some dropped calls. The more errors, the more dropped calls.

The list of frequencies in the trunked frequency set have to be set in the same order that is used by the system central controller. This is NOT likely to be in lowest to highest frequency.

Check the database here on this site. Its information is PROBABLY correct with regard to frequency order.

What system are you trying to listen to?

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply. I'm new to this so I may have already found where I've messed up. I'm not sure what the site Id is. I'm trying to program the public safety and AEP systems here in San angelo, tx

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
San Angelo Public Safety Trunking System, San Angelo, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Site IDs are listed beside the frequency lists for each site.
Saint Ann site is ID 1
Southland is site 2
320 W. 26th St is site 3
Christoval is site 4

For each site, enter only the listed frequencies in the trunked frequency set lists.

If your radio has ProVoice (option 29, turn on the FEATURES menu to check it via the radio keypad controls) then set all talkgroups to ProVoice mode, to hear all ProVoice AND analog traffic on the talkgroups you're listening to.

Make sure that TX and CALLS boxes are UNchecked for ALL talkgroups.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I finally figured it out. I have the AEP system programmed just fine. Its scanning and picking up traffic. However the Public Safety system is still giving me problems.
I confirmed the site id's with my BCD396XT and programmed that in. Its still giving me a "CC SCAN". Does the system being digital have anything to do with it?

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
No. Digital or analog, the site ID has to be right for the site and the control channel has to be in the trunked frequency list. As long as both those pieces of information are right, it should work.

It's not impossible that site IDs have changed. Systems are being updated all over the place as they begin to prepare to transition them over to P25. Usually that means adding more sites and when they do that, they often change almost everything about the system.

Check for control channels with your scanner and make SURE that the CC is in your trunked frequency set.

The minimum you need is the right site ID and the CC in the trunked frequency list. That alone should take the radio out of CC scan if the data is right.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I've recommended that this topic be moved to the Texas forum, where it really belongs.
You are more likely to get help from someone local to you in the Texas forum. Someone who may already have a radio programmed up and working on that system.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Well, I'm Completely Stumped. I went through and double checked that all the Receive frequencies are correct. I looked on the RadioReference & FCC ULS Database's to confirm the frequencies and thier locations. I went through all the frequencies with my scanner looking for control channels. I found that 855.2125 is showing SID: 01 (this is in the frequency list for the St. Ann tower) and 855.4625 is showing SID: 02 (this is in the frequency list for the Southland tower) The only thing that have me confused are locations 320 W 26th St. & 2 Mi NE of Christoval. They both have the same frequency set and I've gone through with the scanner and didnt find a control channel for the 6 frequencies listed.
I know that the City of San Angelo is "getting a new P25" system. I don't know if that means upgrading the existing one or completely replacing it. I do know that it will be up and running by 2016. I can also confirm that they are still using the EDACS system now as I can hear them on the scanner.
San Angelo Public Safety on RR (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6442)
San Angelo Public Safety on FCC ULS (http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=1302867)

Attachments

• SID01.jpg
    SID01.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 490
  • SID02.jpg
    SID02.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure about that. If that's the case how could I continue to program the radio to receive this system.. if at all possible?

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
No reference to ESK in the system data.

Have you tried programming up all four sites?

And let's go back to basics. See if you have the basic setup right.

You create a group set.
You create a trunked frequency set.
You create a system and set its type to EDACS. Give it a name.
In the system setup page, you select your group set and your frequency set.

What I do in order to save memory in the radio is I create a master group set that contains
all talkgroups I want to listen to on that system, no matter what site they're going to work off of.
Since standard practice is NOT to reuse group assignments on different sites (so group 100 would not be two different PDs on two different sites in the same system)

I then use that set on all sites. So on a given site I don't expect to hear activity on EVERY talkgroup, but it's more efficient and easier to just make one group set for a given agency rather than one for that agency on each of its towers.

I suggest you make up a small master group set for test purposes, and then set up four trunked frequency sets, one for each tower, and program them all into the radio so you can check and see if ANY of the site data works for you.

Also try thing like changing the site ID from 1 to 01. Or from 01 to 1. It might make a difference. Because scanners don't work on exactly the same rules as your radio does.

It's also helpful to confirm that your radio is actually receiving. For this I suggest that you program up all the system channels for the nearest sight in one conventional channel list and scan those frequencies with your radio. If you don't hear anything, now your radio is suspect.

I have seen 7100s that had gone quite deaf.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
If they are using ESK, then you are SOL I'm afraid. ESK is used for that reason, to keep rogue radios out.

99% of the time when I had CC SCAN it was due to a bad site number. Are you able to verify with UniTrunker perhaps?

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
If they are using ESK, then you are SOL I'm afraid. ESK is used for that reason, to keep rogue radios out.

99% of the time when I had CC SCAN it was due to a bad site number. Are you able to verify with UniTrunker perhaps?

Im not able to verify with unitrunker.

Status
Not open for further replies.