• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Correct me if I'm wrong....current Harris portable radios don't use option boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
So I've decided to sell my treasured P7300 with EDACS, ProVoice, and Phase 1 and Phase II TDMA trunking on....a major auction site, probably the first one you'd think of.

A guy asks me if it has the P25 encryption option board in it.

The radio has NO encryption options at all.

I've never heard of any form of plug-in option boards for any current (or recent) generation Harris (etc..) radios. It's all done in firmware and there ARE no encryption option BOARDS.

Right?

If not, I learn something. If I'm right, then my response to him was correct.

Elroy

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
The LPE-200 was the last portable radio to have a "daughter" board which was required for digital voice operation and supported encryption. In the case of the LPE, this DSP board also handled most of the audio functions too.

The C50 DSP board: supported AEGIS digital voice format (unencrypted), and depending on features, either VGE Encryption in 64-bit or 128-bit, or, DES Encryption in 56-bit.

The C56 DSP board: supported both AEGIS and ProVoice digital voice formats (unencrypted), and depending on features, DES Encryption in 56-bit. [NOTE: VGE Encryption in 64-bit or 128-bit was supported with this board, but never publicly disclosed.]

The Orion was the last mobile radio to have a "daughter" board which was required for digital voice operation and supported encryption.

The ADI board: supported both VoiceGuard and AEGIS digital voice formats, and depending on features, either VGE Encryption in 64-bit or 128-bit, or, *DES Encryption in 56-bit. The AEGIS board also supported unencrypted digital voice, whereas the VoiceGuard did not.

The DSP board: supported ProVoice digital voice formats (unencrypted), and depending on features, *DES Encryption in 56-bit. [NOTE: VGE Encryption in 64-bit or 128-bit was supported with this board, but never publicly disclosed.] The DSP board also did not support AEGIS digital voice format.

NOTE:
* DES Encryption, although marketed as 64-bit encryption, is actually only 56-bits encryption with 8-bits of parity. This is per the (original) FS-107 Standard, which later became FIPS 140-1 Standard.

All radios from the Jaguar 725m and Jaguar 700p and later, contain embedded DSP circuits.

I hope this helps....

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I listed it in the evening, and before I woke up the next morning it was bought and paid for, and I'm an early riser.

I'm not selling any more of those, since I don't have any more like that. But if you are looking for a radio, check ebay every day.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
It was a good deal for all concerned. I actually made a profit on that radio, and it put some cash in my bank account plus paid for a new toy. I was happy to get that price, and apparently, so was my buyer.

I'm a longterm ebay veteran. I've done 6 figures in total sales. I like to be the guy who actually SELLS stuff rather than hanging on to it in the hopes that by some miracle some day it'll bring more than such an item ever has before.

Most of the electronics I sell are bought quickly via the buy it now option. That's because my prices are reasonable.

bama9999

Elroy, if one were to buy a radio from Ebay in order to monitor an EDACS system, that uses Provoice, but doesn't use encryption, do you do any programming of them for the public? If not, can you recommend a good source for getting one programmed?

Thanks.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Please read my signature line below.

I would not in any event be able to help with any encryption issues even if it were legal. What's the key?

GUESS! And good luck!

As for programming, there are people on ebay who offer programming services.

I do not.

bama9999

Ok, thanks for the answer. My bad, as I obviously didn't notice your sig line earlier. The reason I asked was because you seem quite knowledgeable about Edacs/Provoice, and although I had seen offers for programming on Ebay, who knows if they really know what they're doing or not.

I know that listening to encrypted traffic is illegal, and although the system I was interested in does not use encryption, I wouldn't ask anyone, or try in any way, to get a radio programmed to be able to do it even if they did use it.

Thanks again for the reply.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Well, I do know programming of EDACS inside and out, yes. But I will not accept the responsibility or liability of programming up any radio that is not my personal property for my personal use.

Not trying to be a jerk about it or anything, but it's the liability issues. Suppose you encounter a real jerk of a police officer who sees your radio and decides that it's contraband and seizes it and arrests you for posession of stolen property, based on his belief that only departments can own those radios. (This has happened.) And they want to know where you got the radio programmed. You squeal, now they want me to answer questions.

Well, screw that noise. I'll have nothing to do with it. I won't even make any specific recommendation as to whom might program your radio for you. I can and will give specific advice as to how to program your radio to be "safe" and unable to even accidentally transmit on a system, but I won't do the programming myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.